Homesteading in Ukraine.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Chuck, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

[​IMG] I had the great honor last week of spending a day in a Ukranian village - well off the beaten path. I stayed with an older couple, who delighted in showing me the way that they make a living on their small farm, and showing me off to their neighbors. (I was the first westerner most of them had ever seen.)

I took lots of pictures, and blogged about it. I'm sure you all will find it as interesting as I did.

2. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

The pictures are good, I'm going to send the link to a friend who adopted a daughter from the Ukraine, I think they'll find it interesting. I haven't had time to read the article yet, but have it up on my browser to read later.
    Dawn

3. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Great pictures Chuck, thanks for sharing! :)

4. Chuck

They have a canning kitchen in the "old house" outside. It has a four-burner gas stove, powered by a refillable bottle. They did most of their cooking out there while I was in town - but then they also had four extra mouths to feed.

5. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Cant wait to check it out, your getting close to my neck of the woods now.

6. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I am with him I dont understand american lawns either. I have bought quite a few of those recycled pepsi bottles full of raw milk here and have yet to feel any ill effects.

7. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm curious about the trees pictured that have "V" shaped cuts in them. Are they maple and that's the way they tap them? Couldn't be rubber trees I reckon. We have neighbors originally from the Ukraine and they have a photo of the "family home" that has no windows is not much bigger than a chicken coop and the family is fighting over who will own it. Rita

8. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

So Chuck how do I get a job like yours?...you always have the best adventures! :)

9. Chuck

The trees were pine trees. I suspect they were gathering the sap for some purpose. There were lots of trees in the area like that.

10. mpillow

BOY! I cringed at seeing the gas bottle inside the house...YIKES!

As far as the sink goes...before we had running water at our camp I used a solar shower hung over the sink w/ catch bucket under drain....and we also empty the outhouse using bucket method :shrug: The water table tends to fluctuate up there in the mountains so we dont want any run-off issues..

11. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

12. mpillow

Actually yes...my husband works in the field...inspected and painted tanks all summer long.

We had an extra 20lb tank for the grill(outside on deck) a few years back that had the red plug in and one of the foster kids unscrewed it....my guardian Angel must have been with us because I was able to move the boy to safety and replace the plug and a good breeze came and dispersed the fumes....I was praying very loud the whole time for :help: We now longer keep anything like that w/o locking in the shed.

13. IMContrary

IMContrary Well-Known Member

Slava Isusu Christu! Thanks for sharing the pictures of your trip to Ukraine! One day I hope to visit the "motherland"...well, adopted motherland. When I joined the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church some years ago I was told that I was now Ukrainian, even if I had an Irish last name. Unfortunately the only Ukrainian I know are a few phrases from the Divine Liturgy. Aren't eastern Europeans welcoming? Most of the members of my church are from Ukrainane or Poland and their hospitality is incredible! And I love that good ole Slavic cooking!

14. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Oh Chuck I really envy you. I am fascinated by Eastern European domestic architecture and would love to visit Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union.
    I love that pink and blue kitchen .....they sure arent afraid of color are they. And what a wonderful expressive face the older lady has. I bet she's a great cook too. Thanks for the pics. :)

15. goatgirl2

goatgirl2 Active Member

Chuck, that is so fascinating! I hope Ken Scharabock sees this, as I remember his interesting visit to, I think was, Czecholslovakia (sp?) a couple of years back. I am always amazed at what these people have lived withOUT for eons and how resourceful and resiliant they are. I say that as a citizen of a country that has anything you want 24/7, in your face... everyone has heat, a store on the corner, a few cars, a job, any kind of food from all over the world, entertainment at your fingertips. I believe we've gotten to the point of an un-real reality, and maybe it would behoove us to take a few notes for future reference from these hardy folks in the Ukraine.

Your photos are wonderful, too. I am particularly in love with the two with the draft horse in it, both fore and aft; suitable for framing. Thanks for sharing this, Chuck. Debra in NM

16. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Awesome pics and blog entries! We truly enjoyed our trip to Russia a number of years ago. These pics bring back a lot of memories - the abacus in the store for figuring how much you owed among other things, the short skirts on the STUNNINGLY beautiful ladies, the beautiful scenery, the obvious ability of the people to make do with so little, the beauty they created for themselves despite the soviet attempts to make everything the same, etc. We'd heard rumors that driving in Moscow was some of the worst in the world but it was tame after weeks of passenger seat scares in Irkutsk :eek: I think I'd have preferred the horse and buggy transport myself.

17. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

the folks i miss the most after leaving my last job were the eastern europeans. they are all great people. i knew several folks that hailed from romania and belarus. they were wonderful and friendly folks.

18. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Are some of the pictures scanned photo's and not digital? I notice the discoloration and lines in them when they are smaller.

19. Chuck

Good eye. No, that's not what caused it. I dropped my camera when I got there, and messed something up inside. Had to switch to my backup camera for the rest of the trip.

20. Tonya

Tonya Guest

THANK YOU for that mini vacation!! My 7 and 8 year olds LOVED it, too!!