homesteading in U.P Michigan anyone doing it

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by live on land, Oct 15, 2006.

1. live on land

live on land God does answer prayers

I am wondering about homesteading in the U.P. Is anyone doing it? We are thinking about it but really dont know what office to get in touch with to get information on type of soil and growing season.

2. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

Their growing season is about 2 months long...june and july. Haha. My Mom's family is from up there, it's beautiful but cold and snowy a long, long time.

3. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

I've operated a farm in the eastern UP for 30 years. Great differences in climate across the U.P. Where did you have in mind? General rule is that Lake Superior makes for a longer Fall season and shorter Spring season. North west UP gets lots of snow, south west has longest growing season. Eastern end has lots of hay and pasture. Anything close to Lake Superior is snowy and cold, while close to Lake Michigan much warmer.

4. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

5. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Soil? You have your choice of rock, or swamp ...

Did someone already mention it's very, very cold?!

Then there is the problem of NO JOBS ... :help:

The northwestern LP (where I live) is a bit more moderate, and real estate is very reasonable ... I just found a listing for a doublewide on 10 acres for $49,900. Do a search on Realtor.com for zip code 49651 ... I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

6. fransean

fransean Well-Known Member

We have land in the Eastern UP and will be moving next spring/summer. I have a sample of soil that I will be sending this week for soil test to let me know what would be best to grow.
    The county extension offices are run in cooperation with Michigan State University (the agriculture college in the state). That is where I went for information on crops and the soil testing.
    The land that we purchased was part of an old strawberry farm. There are cows "down the road a piece" and a farmers market in town twice a week.
    There is land available and reasonable too, just depends on what your goals are.

Good luck
    Bev

7. live on land

live on land God does answer prayers

We are thinking of Crystal Falls area thats were my father was from. We haven't been up there for a few years but have always dreamed of living in that area. I still have some family there. It would be three to five years before we could move but with out dreams what is there in life. Other than raising a garden we would try and have some chickens and goats. Hunting and fishing would also play into it.