homesteading in new mexico

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by E W Texan, Oct 7, 2017.

1. E W Texan

E W Texan New Member

Hi everyone,
    I live in Texas, but thinking of retiring in New Mexico and living off grid. The problem I'm having is finding suitable land online. When I do a search for small acreages (5 acres or so), most of what I find is in subdivisions. I'm looking mainly in Lincoln county. I don't want to go too far north because I would like a moderate climate. Not too cold. I do want to be in or near the mountains. Anyone here homesteading in New Mexico? Any advice?

2. kinnb

kinnb Well-Known Member

3. jane2256

jane2256 lurking in the shadows

I loved the Silver City area when I was there!

4. b_yeag

b_yeag New Member

Welcome,

After three years of searching for the right spot I finally found some land in Otero County, NM. Its 5 acres smack dab in the middle of nowhere. (Closest cities are Cloudcroft and Mayhill) My property is right at 8100' and I can tell you it gets pretty cold up there. If you are looking for a more moderate climate you can look in the High Rolls area, Otero County, or the Alto area, Lincoln County. When I initially started my search I was looking for land than I ended up with but eventually made the concession based on the fact the land had electric, internet, and a spring. I don't think we will totally develop this land and we are happy to leave our RV up there and just work on little things for now. Eventually, once funds allow, we would still like to get into at least 10 acres up there.

A little info on what we were looking for and what we learned while on the hunt:

We really wanted privacy and a place we could go to relax with our family and friends. We have an RV and several friends and family members do aswell so anything we bought needed to be able to accommodate this. (We have installed 3 full RV hookups since we purchased the land) What made this tough is what you are seeing. Most of the land is in communities or is sub-divided with restrictions. We did not want any part of that. We wanted and waited to find unrestricted land. Another factor that makes this tough is the fact that there really isn't a lot of privately owned land in the area. Much of it is owned by the government in one way, shape, or form. Big problem number 2, Water. It sure seems like every drop of water in NM is already owned by somebody so finding a place with water rights or an existing well was a big concern for us. Wells are really expensive to drill in the mountains as they are drilling through Limestone. Another issue for us was cellphone coverage. Its spotty in our area, we don't have any at our spot, but we do have high speed internet so we can use our phones. Cellphone coverage in Lincoln County is better than in Otero County.

I'm happy to provide more info on the area if you need any. I have been spending time in those mountinas my entire life.

Ben

5. E W Texan

E W Texan New Member

Ben,

Thank you very much for your reply. You've confirmed some of my concerns. I'm not giving up though. I want to live in the mountains and have access to elk hunting. I would like to discuss this more with you when I have more time. Thanks again!

Ed

6. TxMex

TxMex Well-Known Member Supporter

You can do that in Texas. There are mountains and there are elk. Check out Jeff Davis county.

7. DryHeat

DryHeat Well-Known Member

I might second the suggestion of the Silver City area, particularly north and northwest of the town. North about an hour is the headwaters of the Gila River with warm springs. Northwest another hour is the outlet of the Gila after running through designated wilderness, merging with the San Francisco River in the Pleasanton and Catwalk area. Up in there is maybe 6000' elevation valley settled by Mormons in the late 1800s, very near the Arizona border.