Homesteading in E Texas ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Does anyone have any info on homesteading, taxes, weather ect in East Texas. Wanting any and all info I can get. Thks

2. newlifeintx60

newlifeintx60 Member

Well I am just North of Plano, so not truly East Texas, but I have driven out there and it's very pretty. A little wetter then my place.
    The Summers here are hot and sticky, but Spring and Fall are very nice. If you are used to North Eastern or Northern winters then Texas winters are a dream.
    I came from SoCal so I am still getting used to my new climate.

Andrew.

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

Lots of land available. Stayaway from DFW metro mess as land will become higher in price the closer you get to urban areas. If you like east texas i would also give some consideration to Arkansas. The undeveloped parts of Arkansas are much more scenic and maybe alittle cheaper in some cases. Oklahoma has state income tax and texas does NOT. I'm not sure about Ark. but I believe it does. Do a google search for bestplaces.net and click on compare two city's. in the upper left side of your screen. It will give you comparative data for the two cities you have chosen. Lots of info there........fordy....

4. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

stay away from houston also... land is way to high...

we are buying further south towards corpus christi.. a little drier there...

you will have humidity.. lots of it... and will have to fight the vegetation... but it is beautiful... just beautiful... and in the smaller towns, the people tend to be very nice and friendly...

check out tyler, etc... beaumont, livingston, even cleveland... call and get the county seat number and they can tell you about taxes etc...

texas has no state taxes, but we do have sales tax and it varies from county to county... in Houston/harris county sales tax right now is .085 cents..

Lynn in texas

5. Thanks for the info. We are getting info about Longview Tx and area.

6. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Longview area is nice, you will like it there. Your choice of location will no doubt be tied to what you can afford, and whether or not you need to be close to major employment centers such as Dallas. Unless you have a skill or trade in good demand, finding employment in smaller towns will be difficult. If you don't need to have a job outside of your homestead, there are some beautiful areas around Longview, Tyler, Canton, etc. Marshall is nice and is experiencing an upsurge in growth and new jobs. I found our piece of paradise near Athens. There are lots of "semi-homesteader" in East Texas, and you would be surprised how many have a once-a-month job setting up at the huge fleamarket in Canton (First Monday Trades Days), west of Tyler. Good luck in your search.