Homesteading Gypsies??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, May 19, 2004.

1. Hello! Have any of you ever heard of a scenario where one would set up a homestead, settle in for a few years and then get the urge to, say, backpack through Europe or take up with a guru at the ashram and need someone to watch over the homestead? Just wondering because I'd really like to get some nature time in and I think if I have to wait until I can afford it....

Nik =)

2. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

Have you considered working for the U.S. forest service as a fire tower lookout, which will get your 'nature time' in (those lookout towers are located in some awfully pretty places) and you get paid to do this. Since those lookout towers are placed in very remote places, you have little chance to spend your money, so the temptation to spend is made up for you. Big time savings.

Its likely that this year is too late, but for next year - why go to Europe - the U.S. is plenty beautiful.

I hope this is helpful.

3. You can do that? That's good to know! Do they get a lot of ppl wanting to do this? Where?

4. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

You could find someone who would live there while your gone and take care of everything for free rent, free garden and such. With the understanding that when you get back they move on. I'd have to really trust them though.

Although, I'd rather take a short vacation within driving distance and pay neighbors to take care of it.

5. That's why the homestead owners would have to be gypsies. I'd be the trustworthy caretaker. That sounds like the makings of an epic novel....

6. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

If you want to get into the outdoors.I trained for Whitwater Rafting and Hunting Guide.Both keep you in the outdoors,but low pay.

big rockpile

7. Where did you do that and how long did it take?

8. I'm looking for this fire tower lookout job on the Forestry website...nothing yet...

9. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Colorado,couple months of schooling.Went to Guide School in Grand Junction,White Water School in Salida.But that was over 20 years ago.

big rockpile