Homesteading get-together in S. Indiana-Gentryville @ the Hardy's

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by babysteps, Jun 20, 2006.

1. babysteps

babysteps living at 6800 feet

Homesteading get-together in S. Indiana-Gentryville @ the Hardy's
    June 30 to July 3

Hoosiers and others have been asking in the online Homestead circles about a get-together of homesteaders in S. Indiana. I just received my free issue of July/August Countryside and Yvonne and Robert Hardy "strongly urge anyone who's ever been, or anyone who ever thought they'd like to, to attend this year and grace us with your presence and knowledge" (Countryside July/August 2006, pg. 8). The Hardy's have room for camping out and flush toilets and hot water showers. There will be a central fire and two cook stoves.

Last year the Hardy's had 170 participants. I've never been, but this year I'm headed there for a visit-it's just 50 minutes away from Poplar Hill.

For more information about the event you can contact Robert and Yvonne Hardy via e-mail: poorfarmclan@hotmail.com.

If the gathering isn't enough for you (although I'm sure it will be) you might want to consider a family vacation there is plenty to do in the area. Lincoln Boyhood home is just a few minutes from the Hardy's and is well worth the visit. They have a working historical farm there where I often see them making cottage cheese in 90 degree weather and it is where I first learned about the companion planting of potatoes and green beans. In nearby Santa Clause is Holiday World and Splashing Safari. A wonderful theme park that if very FAMILY FRIENDLY, cost less than $50.00/person and you get free soft drinks and water all day!!! If you don't want to camp there is nearby Mary Rose Herb farm where you can sleep in yurts and eat breakfast. It's in St. Meinrad and there is a nearby monastery you can tour.

If you need a friend in the area just contact me by e-mail. We would love to have you come visit. You can see our first attempts at a big garden and sit on our deck and sip sweet tea. See Southern Indiana is the gate-way to the south. If you like your tea with out the sweet we can do that too.

So all you who live nearby or want a long family vacation check out the homesteading get-together at the Hardy's. It's open to all. I plan to be there!

Christine :walk:
    This was also has been posted at my blog www.homesteadblogger.com/poplarhill

2. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I'm planning to drive up on Friday and return Saturday afternoon. Won't be doing a blacksmithing demonstration this year though.

3. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Lincoln is cheap too...for $5 per car you get access to the whole place, including the lake on the beach, showers, trails, farm, Fire tower, picnic areas, everything. You only have to pay to rent canoes/boats or to camp. There is firewood for sale at the house right before you get to the cemetery.

Holiday World(was called Santa Claus Land when I was younger) is a bit more pricey but for one price you really cant beat it. They have RV and camping areas, and RV's for rent. They have a website. And check your Pepsi cans and local stores, they will give you discounted tickets. But don't go in there expecting Disney Land, or you will be dissapointed.:)

I won't be going, too much on my plate right now but its nice to know there are Hoosiers included in the Homesteading Movement.

4. babysteps

Hope to see you-all there. I hope they have name tages or something. I haven't received any e-mail response yet. When I get more info I will post

5. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Don't expect an e-mail response. They have 'snail' Internet speed and Yvonne only goes on line at the library or at her father's house.

If you act quick you can still send them a SASE (business-size) and ask for detail. Address is Yvonne & Robert Hardy, 13738 N. Country Road 100 W, Gentryville, IN 47537-9653.

6. gottahaveagoat

gottahaveagoat Well-Known Member

We arer going to Holiday World July 10-13. We will be at the camp ground in our rented RV, by the way they are very nice and cost less then the Santa's lodge hotel.

7. babysteps

"Don't expect an e-mail response. They have 'snail' Internet speed and Yvonne only goes on line at the library or at her father's house." -Ken

LOL. Perry/Spencer internet is so slow 'cause we are all so rural. We are on a repeater which slows our 56K modem to almost a 28k modem speed. I can totally relate to the Hardy's. I'm currently at the library.