homesteading forms

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by to live free, May 23, 2005.

1. to live free

to live free Well-Known Member

has anyone applied for the homesteaders exemption forms? most states have one.

2. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

I live in NY and have tried to file for non-commercial farm status (5+ acres, raising products for personal comsumption, <$10K annual income from the operation) since I bought the property 4 years ago. It has been a farce, being passed from around from one government department to another like a cheap bottle of wine amongst a bunch of winos. I don't know if NY has such a thing as a homesteaders exemption form. Guess I'll have to research that.

3. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

4. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

We had homestead ex in Florida and we also have one here on this home. Neither one of these homes I would consider a homestead..but I do like the tax break it offers. We filed both of ours at the time of purchase.

5. to live free

to live free Well-Known Member

they also in some states gurantee that banks or anyone for that matter your house/property can not a lien put against it. i think maine is up 250k land value,
    i think penn. is up to 500k same as jersey

6. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Well, maybe we need to gang up on them to put the pressure on.
    How did learn about this? what form did you file and who did you send it to ?
    Is it a county thing?

7. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Cowboy Joe,
    I'm also in NY and was under the impression that I couldn't file for any kind of farm exemptions because I had under 10 acres, I'm guessing I may have got that wrong. Do you have any links that you can let me have to read. If I can qualify as a "farm" some other way maybe I'll try it to.
    Thanks,
    Carol

8. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

In Florida your "homestead exemption" is about a tax break on your first $25,000 of assessed worth on your property taxes for your primary residence. The elderly, blind, and disabled military get 100% of their taxes waived. It has nothing to do with productive farm or craft type activities.

9. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Likewise, in Minnesota there is a 'homesteaders' tax break on property you own & live on. Or a 'rent credit' for those renting, uses state taxes to subsidise some of the local proerty taxes.

In addition, there is a 'Green Acres' law that allows one actively farming & meeting certain requirements to get their land valued at ag tax rates, instead of development/ speculative tax rates. Many states have similar laws under different names.

Would help to know which, what, tax type of thing tlf is asking about....

--->Paul