Homesteading Dogs/working Or Not

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by carly, Feb 18, 2005.

1. carly

carly on winged flight...

We are trying to get a forum going here on Homesteading Today that is dedicated to HOMESTEADING DOGS, whether they are herding or working dogs or farm, rannch dogs that enjoy the homesteading lifestyle.

I have 2 Border Collies and many others have written in about their Pyrs, BC's, Aussies and so on.....this forum would help in the following ways:

It would provide a place for newbies to working dogs to refer to others who have a good amount of experience on getting set up for your dog.

It would provide, but not replace, some medical advice, especially emergeny situations for dogs.

It would give excellent advice on puppy training, obiedence training, herding commands and trials, and the care and food requirements of these special dogs.

It would provide info on herding shows, fiber festivals where there are herding trials, and other competitions such as agility for these dogs.

I am sure there are topics I am forgetting, but yu all know what I mean.....plus, we could all brag about our dogs..... :worship:

Please let Chuck or Ross know if you think this is a good forum to get started....

Thanks, Carly

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Our dog died in Dec.....

but my hubby is finally letting me get a Border Collie that I hope to use on my goats...

Always had hunting (bird) dogs before. Do you have any info. to share? Yes lets do a forum!

I think my girl is coming Mon. she is 8-9weeks old. We intend to breed as she will be registered.

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

A forum on dogs that live with homesteaders would be good. It could be quite a range of material to discuss such as keeping with livestock, care, health and so on.
    I have terriers and had a Kuvasz, but we live in the country and serve both as companion animals and for some purpose in guarding or possible vermin control, etc. I recently read the small piece in one of the small farm magazines about a farm terrier that allowed to be suckled by a baby goat, so I can see that dogs on the homestead can be an interesting forum along with what was mentioned in the posts above.

4. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

How about those dogs that are on the homestead that are there for the purpose of 'company'? My dogs are not working dogs, as such' but they do alert me, if anything or anyone is around! Will we be able to post our questions?.. How about those who have 'barn' cats?? Can't we just call it Homesteading Dogs/Cats. We have five dogs right now and in a few weeks, we will be adopting two more adult Dachshunds from Southern States Dachshund Rescue. It would be helpful to be able to ask questions here... Thanks for listening to MHO.. Thanks Debbie

5. cchapman84

cchapman84 Well-Known Member

I think that would be a great forum! Our dog isn't really a working dog (although I think she could be). She's a 1 yr old german shepherd, she's got great instincts and is incredibly smart. Her only real job at this point is keeping the cat from getting out of the house (and if he does get out she'll chase him down and hold him until one of us comes and gets him). She's also a good watch dog. Doesn't do much as a gaurd dog though, she'll bark and bark and bark at someone (namely the UPS guy), but all they have to do is walk up and pet her and she becomes their best friend. She sounds mean though! I think a dog forum would be a great addition to the forums already on here!

6. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

I think this forum would be great! I would love to learn more about herding dogs and training. I have a husky/border collie mix who seems to show signs of a herding drive. She loves to circle round and round my ducks but she never chases them aggressively. She even takes off and 'brings back' my other dog when she strays too far away from us. She'll get behind her and kind of chase her back, keeping her in line like a cow horse.(Which I would take as some sort of herding instinct maybe?) I also have a rottie/cattle dog mix who wants to eat my birds but is a wonderful guard dog and companion. I was a vet tech for almost 9 nine years so I may be able to help someone in the medical dept too.

Yeah! I hope it comes to fruition! :D

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I totally agree! Having four dogs...three Border Collies and a Lab...I am always posting something about one of the dogs. And then there are the six cats! A dog/cat forum is much needed and would be greatly appreciated.

8. Yep, wouldn't it be interesting to have a "My dog's better than your dog" forum? :D

9. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

we're getting an English Shepherd end of March we'll need to train to be a quality farm dog. I'd be very interested in a dog forum.

That way he'll be better than r.h.'s dog.

10. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

A dog forum would be a great new idea. Know everyone has their own idea which is the best dog just like horse people all have their favorite breeds...but everyone can admire a good dog or hoss. Would enjoy a place to talk dogs. My Welsh corgi Arthur is learning to be a stock dog...he is most willing and is an excellent herder of the Garden Way cart and trucks going down the road....if it weren't for the fenced yard he'd have long since been a squashed blob on the road! The big cows think he is a joke but the younger stock is getting the picture...oh well,if nothing more he gets lots of exercise :) ---since Corgis are champion beggers he needs it!! DEE

11. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

Mutti: Go working corgis! (You know, I don't think there has been a Herding Champion Pembroke yet! Maybe you've got a contender! :D) Indy could care less about stock but is great on vermin, Summer is still in training, and Skye is actually proving so useful to my neighbors that I'm contemplating buying him some ducks.

12. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Well-Known Member

A dog forum is a great idea. Our working dogs are sled dogs. We have a pretty formidable eight dog team with four more puppies in training. They are a malemute and some european sprint dog mix from two different bloodlines. All but two are under four years and trained by our family. The older two are retired Iditarod racers and are really the one's responsible for training the younger ones. With a good lead and wheel dog, a young and inexperienced team can really perform quite well.

Our longest trip so far has been about 600 miles over 10 days. My five year old daughter and I just did a 150 mile trip through the White Mountains a few weeks ago. Spent one night in a tent at 30 below and one night in an old trapper cabin...loads of fun.

When we first got interested in having a dog team a friend warned me that it was addicting and he sure was right.

13. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

This has been brought up a few times now , and Im not sure why it has been rejected. Seems like a lot of people want it.

And since they have a new plant ID forum, maybe Chuck will finally make this one :)

14. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

That's so cool.

One of the things I want to do this spring is get in shape so I can do longer hiking/backpacking trips with Skye.

15. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a dog forum, my dog's not a working dog, more companion though he'd deffinatly be up to the challenge of herding with a bit of training, but he's a little too young for that right now anyway. :eek:

16. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

When your six-week-old pup is herding ants and cloud shadows then you know you've got a contender. They're never too young to start, they can be too old to learn.

17. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

he's more hunter than herder right now, I dont think an old dog can't learn new tricks, even if that trick is herding.
    if not herding - my pup sure does love to pounce and stalk - maybe a cat replacement. :D
    but he does have the smarts needed for herding.

18. Caberjim, your dog will like a long time trainning to match mine. My dog is very smart. You can throw a biscuit to him and he can catch it in the air before it hits the ground. You don't even have to call his name he already knows to come and he can do a very funny trick. He'll set down on his rear end and pull his self forward with his front feet. He can scoot a long ways doing that. I had to teach him that trick!

19. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............I think we should call it..<Homesteading Pets>...which could include ALL types of animals including Dogs and Dats , fordy.. :eek: :)

20. mtnhighgirl

mtnhighgirl Well-Known Member

I don't have a dog yet, but I'm planning on getting an LGD in the future. I would love to see a dog/cat forum here. I have lots of questions on training, housing, etc. and it would be easier if I had a specific place to come to.