Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! New here and new to homesteading. Does anyone know of any classes or workshops on homesteading/various areas of homesteading such as beekeeping, chickens, cows, pigs, canning/preserving, etc?

I'm in buffalo, New York but am willing to travel if the program seems good.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
contact your local extension. Get on their mailing list. If it is like FL, VA, and OH, they will offer or link to classes regionally in the state on a wide variety of topics which cover forests, large farms, livestock, gardening, soil health, wildlife, environmental protection, conservation, etc. In FL, most of the classes are free or cost about $10 because they give you a sack lunch.

FL also has a statewide new/young farmer convention the first of August that costs about $100 for 3 days. They feed you several times and much of the food has been bought from small local farmers. It has several tours of local farms addressing, eggs, goats, beef, row crops and sessions on irrigation, greenhouses, and all the topics mentioned above. I'll bet NY has something similar. Ours is held in August because that is our generally slow/semi-dormant period. Yours might be held in winter and still to come within the next 6 months.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
As Deke said - your local extension office is a gold mine of information on workshops, seminars, etc. All States have land-grant universities that usually offer some free/very low cost workshops at some time during the year. Your local FFA will have information on some activities, as will your local Master Gardeners Association (note: some of these are still pretty sold on heavy chemical usage, but their growing/planning information is invaluable)

Mary

·
Registered
408 Posts
We belong to East TN Preppers which is part of American Preppers, we are always having classes on different things such as canning, soap-making, knife-making, camouflage, solar energy, rabbit raising/butchering, beekeeping and such. I agree to check your local extension, local universities, taking a C.E.R.T class is helpful. Google survival training, I found multiple sites within a days drive from me. I have traded time with other people who want to learn things and in turn I have taught them different things such as butchering rabbits . Check with local farmers/breeders that you can learn from. We had friend teach hubby how to track animals for hunting time on our property.

·
Registered
11,385 Posts
Hi Chris - Welcome to HT

And read all the forums daily! Better information you'll never get! And if it's conflicting - you get a choice of what to do. :banana:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Hi Chris, welcome, I'm from Niagara County, When I want to learn to do something I just usually search it on the internet. When we wanted to can cheese and butter, I just searched it, or when I made sauerkraut or my own vinegar I just looked on the web. Here is the site I use for canning, pickling and drying.. http://nchfp.uga.edu/ lots of stuff there. Finally as mentioned read the posts, and you will learn a lot. Homesteading is a hands on kind of learning, you learn best by doing, making mistakes and learning from those, and this site lets you learn from others, mistakes and successes. Don't be afraid to ask questions about animal husbandry or anything else for that matter.

·
zone 5 - riverfrontage
6,815 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cornell has beginning farming classes online (vegetable, fruit, chicken production, etc.) and the National Young Farmer's Coalition has great resources - they mostly operate out of New York. They have an amazing conference in December that has really good workshops. Also the Good Food Festival in Chicago has great seminars in October. I learned about food preservation (canning, root cellars, and drying), butchering, and permaculture there. I learned a lot from homesteading blogs too - just googling and watching videos.

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
Our local extension office has a lot of canning & preserving classes. There is a local beekeepers club, which offers classes, tours etc. A few local farms offer classes like cheesemaking, soapmaking, making kraut etc.

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Your local library is probably a wonderful source for books on a very wide range of subjects. I think most people forget how much an average library has on hand. A few years ago, I wanted to grow some flowers. I thought the library would have a handful of books...they had over 100 flower books, and at least 150 garden books!

The Foxfire series of books...if that doesn't get ya fired up about 'steading or doing something on your own, nothing will.

I love YouTube. Tons of stuff. It is amazing how much info in on YT...it really is stunning.

I also love living history stuff. If you have fairs around that feature old time agriculture stuff, it is a wonderful resource. If you have events like 'Pioneer Days' or living history museums, often, those can be outstanding venues to see stuff in action. Those folks are generally more that willing to share everything they know, including sources, how to, where to buy supplies, etc.

Lastly, farmer's markets and county fairs are outstanding places to network.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone! I have been watching videos and researching. Just wanted more Hands-on experience.

I found this---> http://wyoming.cce.cornell.edu/agriculture/program-areas/food-preservation

If you don't want to click the link, this is what it says...."MASTER FOOD PRESERVER WORKSHOP

Cornell Cooperative Extension of Wyoming County Will Be Hosting a 3-Day Master Food Preserver Workshop on September 16-18, 2014, from 8:30 AM- 4:30 PM."

It says it costs $375 which includes all materials.

Do you guys think it's to expensive or you think it's a good price?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I would not pay 375 to learn how to can when you can get a ball caning guide for less than 10. Caning videos are free on line.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Jackie Clay in upper MN does them twice a year. You can find her at Backwoods Home Magazine. I have been twice. She and her husband, Will, do a 3 day all day seminar…lots of info and hands on. A+

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
I've learned as much from HT than about any other groups
But you may locally participate in any seminar types of
gatherings within you realm of homesteading interests.

For example I've attended outdoor workshops put on
By the provincial land stewardship natural resources dept .
with several guest speakers about range of topics like
wood lot management , wild edible harvesting and growing
money crops unusual plants, other land uses and so on.

As pointed out, the regional ag extension devices are
useful as well as any test plot programs they put into
practice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts