homesteading books

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by celticfalcon, Mar 15, 2005.

1. celticfalcon

celticfalcon tom

hi to all. im new to this so ill try to do it right. im in need/looking for books on homesteading.my biggest need is gardening and canning. as far as meat and wood etc im good with. maintaince and repair the same.im starting to start my life over with my new g/f(soon to be wife) and our 6 (combined) kids. i am in the country,surounded by fields, and a good rep with all. but need help with the earlier.any info or web sites is good and perfect help.
    thanx
    tom celticfalcon@msn.com

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

tom,
    you're here, and where you want to be for the info you seek. The archive search mode can help you find topics discussed that interest you.
    At the bottom is the Administrator section with library where you can link up with excellent info that was given by helpful people on this site.
    Go to the forums where you want info such as the gardening forum or the cooking and crafts forum for things you want to ask or find out about.
    Books mentioned also. Do a search and you'll get a list and opinion on which are best. One to start with that I read lately is by Carla Emery called Encyclopedia of Country Living. It's very good. From the library I have borrowed past inssues of Countryside and Small Stock Farmer magazine with good info and Mother Earth News. Hang around here and you'll be up to date on lots of good info about homesteading. Some will be less relevant, and some will give comprehensive discussion that I've found very helpful. For the most part people here seem to be sincere and genuine.

3. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Agree with all of the above. The Mother Earth News Magazines are good but if you can get your hands on some of the older ones..70's and 80's (e-bay?) I think you will enjoy them more. Practical Homesteading by John Vivian is a very simple easy to read and understand book. Countrywomen book is geared towards women but a good size book that is really worth reading. Out of print but perhaps a local library can get that or both books for you or look on e-bay again or check into "our" barter board. Ask questions at local auctions, animal sales of people. People love to talk and you can learn alot from most old timers. Just read, read, and read some more. I think most of the answers you will be looking for you will find. How very exciting to hear about your new adventure. Welcome to the Homesteading Life...You're gonna love it !! :)

4. crwilson

crwilson Well-Known Member

this is a really good book i recomend, you can buy it at amazon just search under books and type homestead, or borrow it at your library

The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It: The Complete Back-To-Basics Guide
    by John Seymour, Will Sutherland

5. dla

dla Well-Known Member