Homesteading Argentina?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TallGuy67, Jan 20, 2004.

1. TallGuy67

TallGuy67 Guest

Hi, has anyone looked into argentina?

With their economy the way it is, I would think you could get real good deals on rural property.

Speaking spanish would probably help. Ive seen pictures of the land down there, they have some pretty spectacular areas. Also your out of the way, they dont have many terrorists blowing stuff up down there.

I'd love to know what others think.

Phil

2. The unstable inflation rate would scare the dickens out of me.

It was 433.7% in 1983. It was 41% for 2002.

You may remember the internal unrest just a year or so ago. The president was forced out of office, etc. because of unstable prices. Oil tankers/workers were not allowed to load, and actually caused a ripple of price digs in the US.

Nope, no thanks. I want a country that has been resonably stable for decades. Panama has problems too, but is much more stable. Prices very reasonable. Friends have been to Costa Rica and really liked the looks of it. I don't like the rumbling of volcanos nearby so wouldn't care for it either. Geez, the US doesn't look so bad after all.

3. stonerebel

stonerebel Well-Known Member

My inlaws went their recently buying cattle, said you could go with a little money and live like a king. Not just rural property cheap but beach front also.

4. I'd be afraid of a civil war or something like that down there. Their economy is pretty well trashed as it is.

I wonder about moving to Greenland myself. Its out of the way of everything, even if its cold.

5. Argentina is a beautiful country ruined by corruption. While you could probably live near the Patagonia and never be noticed there could also be an eruption of violence at any time in the cities leading to violence against wealthy foreigners.
    Bottom line The govt. is not stable nor honest, but the people are and are a good people. (Just like here in the US) If you are going as a homesteader you should make out fine. Just don't invest in anything or start any large scale buisness.
    Greenland??? I love the north and the cold but Greenland?? Maybe you should try eastern Europe. There really is not much useable land in Greenland and certainly no farming of any worth.

6. Well, it was a measure of last resort. But think about it. Its out of the way of everything. There won't be many people heading there.

7. Leigh*

Leigh* Member

I looked at land in Argentina, near Patagonia. It was incredibly expensive. If anyone finds cheap land there, please let me know. They have enormous trout.

8. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

I just came back from Paraguay (just north of Argentina). Has great land, and prices for rural property is fairly low. If you don't mind the heat and some extra work, I saw 10000 acres for $11 per acre. Not good for much more than raising goats and maybe some gardening with irrigation, but certainly cheap. Actually, there is good land for around $50/acre. Very pretty and cost of living is low.

9. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I just read an article in National Geographic about Patagonia & it seems that quite a few people from other countries are buying land there & trying to bring back the sheep buisness. It mentioned Ted Turner & Michael Douglass as having very large spreads.

10. patagoniax

patagoniax Member

I live a few km from southern Argentina (Sta Cruz province) and have traveled and worked as a guide there for many years. I go to Argentina frequently and have a special "neighbour town" permit for my truck and for importing stuff from there tax-free into Chile.

parts are pretty. parts are not so pretty. Much of Argentina is downright boring if you are looking for scenery.

Trying to live unnoticed does not mean that you can be there unofficially and illegally. Living down here legally puts you on somebody's computer databases and subjects you to rules that can become uncomfortable overnight. Chile has been pretty good about accommodating foreigners with some degree of stability. Less so in Argentina. And "civil strife" in this part of the world (Patagonia) affects us in rural locations as we saw last month in Chilean Patagonia when travelers and tourists were targeted, not via violence but to strand them many miles from anywhere. Chilean Patagonia, in the XII Region around Punta Arenas, should be off the list of "stable" places after the civil-strife stunt they pulled in January 2011.

The government sucks, perhaps worse than average sucky government. And the people here vary, just as everywhere - many decent folks but also some that are less than kind and far from honest and decent. Don't come here thinking you necessarily won't be cheated, whether you are trying to homestead or just live. You as a foreigner will be at a disadvantage. You cannot be assured that being a "homesteader" will save you from having the carpet pulled out from under you in any of many different ways. Take a look at what Argentina did to bank accounts in 2001-2002. When you understand that period of history, you will never trust the Argentine government.

saludos desde la patagonia

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  11. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

"Argentina is a beautiful country ruined by corruption. While you could probably live near the Patagonia and never be noticed there could also be an eruption of violence at any time in the cities leading to violence against wealthy foreigners.
    Bottom line The govt. is not stable nor honest, but the people are and are a good people. (Just like here in the US) If you are going as a homesteader you should make out fine. Just don't invest in anything or start any large scale buisness.
    Greenland??? I love the north and the cold but Greenland?? Maybe you should try eastern Europe. There really is not much useable land in Greenland and certainly no farming of any worth."

That's what I looked into. Price wise Ukraine looks interesting. Foreigners can't buy farms but small acreage wouldn't be a problem. You'll need to learn Russian. My choice would be the eastern part not far from the sea for a good year round climate.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  12. Tom in TN

Tom in TN Well-Known Member

Man was in the hospital for surgery. Things went well, but he was all hooked up to tubes and monitors. His friends, Margaret and Tina came to visit him. He was asleep. Friends sat down with one on each side of the guy. Although the doctor assured them everything was fine, they still were moved at the sight of their friend with all of the stuff hooked to him. Each of them was so moved with emotion they sat and stared at him and cried softly.

Man woke up and saw his two friends beside his bed crying softly. He is reported to have said to them, "Don't cry for me, Marge and Tina."

Now I'm not sure if that actually happened or not, I'm just telling you what was told to me.

Tom in TN

13. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

The problem with Eastern Europe long-term would be worrying about every move Russia makes. They still exert a lot of influence there and they have not forgotten they were once an empire and very much want to be again.

14. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

There's no doubt Russia still has influence. I still think the days of empire are over. The ideas of collectivism have been pretty well shot down. For me a country with low or no crime in the rural areas, and even the cities, along with a very low cost of living is attractive.

15. shawnlee

shawnlee Well-Known Member

South africa looks promising...with the conversion rate and the fact my possible wife has a british passport...it could work and best of all no Americazi label if I did go.

16. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

Collectivism may be over (or maybe not), but the idea of empire very much is still with us.

They may or may not be able to do much to regain what was once theirs in the foreseeable future, but they haven't forgotten it.

17. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Soon be more of Greenland to love, the ice sheets/glaciers that cover much of the land are melting! More Greenland, less Miami and New Orleans....

18. oregon woodsmok

oregon woodsmok Well-Known Member Supporter

Actually, farmland in Argentina is not cheap. The farmers are prosperous because of the world wide price for soy beans.

Farmland in Uruguay has tripled in price in just a couple of years because the farmers from Argentina are buying it up and don't care how much they have to pay.

The whole country of Argentina is one huge drama-fest. Too much excitement and uncertainty for me.