homesteaders in path of hurricane.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BamaSuzy, Aug 28, 2005.

1. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

We are in central north Alabama and they say it may get really bad here even though we are so far inland. There is a wonderful woman on another forum (Backwoods Home) that lives just 50 miles north of Mobile and they are staying put with their animals....sometimes you just can't leave...

We have water stored and are trying to watch the weather as closely as possible. I have my police and fire and rescue scanner (because I'm a newspaper reporter) so I can keep up with everything going on around here...we have rechargeable batteries for that and extra batteries in case we loose electricity for a longer period of time...

This is when prepardness and being prepared really comes into focus....they were showing folks going into the big football dome in New Orleans they DID NOT EVEN BRING THEIR PRESCRIPTION MEDICINE WITH THEM....we should all have our grab and go bags READY like Jackie Clay at Backwoods Home magazine recommends with the necessary items for every member of our family in it, ready to be away from home for at least three days or longer....

everyone just be safe and take whatever precautions you can!

2. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

I really do understand the reluctance to leave your animals.
    I get attached to them and I feel very responsible for their safty but this storm is like none other that most of you have seen.
    They have already had to move folks from two shelters that they thought would be safe but are not.
    There are over 10,000 people trapped in the supper dome without propper ventalation and no cool air. Their own body head will probably cook them.

Please let us know how you are after this is over and especially your friend.

3. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

no animal(s) are worth the life of you or your loved ones.

4. Valduare

Valduare Well-Known Member

unless there the animal in bed that you absolutly love and are spending the rest of your life with :)

5. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

My and husbands family are both in South Louisiana -- husbands are within 30 miles of New Orleans mine about 60 miles west of them. When we tried contracting them yesterday we got answering machines -- hopefully they've evacuated....

I stayed though Andrew -- I'll never do that again.

Marlene

6. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

The superdome just got 2 six foot long holes in the roof.
    That'll give them some air.

7. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

I know that there is really nothing funny about this but when I heard that report I thought the very same thing. :)
    Oh, by the way, If you have seen the film on tv this evening you will see that the cover on the roof is more than half gone. I don't think that is a bad thing. The flooding is very bad and the serge game inland in culfport and boloxi much farther than even camile did. people were trapped in their homes because they thought they were in a safe zone. Even the weather chanels own crew are stranded and their cars and tv truck got washed away.

Marlene, let us know when you find out about your families. I have been worried about them. You know how I am.

8. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

It's not just the hurricane here, it's the tornadoes that are spawning - that's scary too...hope everyone who can leave has left and those like me that really can't leave (where do you go when it's tornado time?), just hunker down and hold on..I don't have a basement and you really can't outrun one either.

Alabama and west Ga. are getting lots of wind, not too much rain right now, just bands of strong winds here.

Sidepasser - off the board for now, will check back later tomorrow.

9. shawnee

shawnee Well-Known Member

My God, they said they have no where to put those people in the superdome. No A/C wet, slimy walls and one person on TV said mosquitoes are getting in. Many are from resthomes and packed 5 deep in rows against walls. Can you even imagine that? Said 2 people have died in there. How terrible with no place fit to evacuate them. They have to do something; they're going to lose a lot more. I feel so bad; wish they could bus 'em; I'd take some old folks. How miserable. National Guard won't let them out; they're surrounded by 3 ft. of water. Best to pray.