Homesteaders - Crimes Punishable by Death

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by WoodsVan, Nov 1, 2005.

1. WoodsVan

WoodsVan Member

Someone once told me to profit by the mistakes of others because I couldn't live long enough to make every mistake myself. So, awhile back I found this forum while searching for new/different sources of material, supplies, ideas etc. that would be helpful to me. I've found many of each and the forum has been a good resource.

However, a number of recent threads have convinced me that many homesteaders are truely a blood thirsty lot. There seems to be total enjoyment in taking a weapon and confronting a trespasser or poacher. It's been my experience that if you show a weapon you better be prepared to use it so I take it these homesteaders are fully prepared to kill these people for trespassing or poaching.

Self defense does not seem to be a prerequisite for the homesteader use of deadly force so what is the list of infractions that homesteaders will kill for?

Have any of you exchanged fire with these desperados you've confronted ? If not, please keep in mind that there are some very bad and very dangerous people out there and you might not just be trying to spook a trespasser. He/they may be there to bury the bodies of a few people they've just killed. The deputies know it may not be just a broken tail light they're stopping at 2 in the morning. Do you ?

2. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

All the more reason to go on as normal. Your policy of disarmament will probably be viewed favorably in Australia or California, have you considered homesteading there?

3. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Good one, Dude. [​IMG]

As for me, I am psychic and know these things beforehand. :hand:

4. roadrash

roadrash Well-Known Member

I would never brandish a weapon just because someone was trespassing.If they were breaking into my home that is another matter!If I confronted a trespasser I would more than likely be ccw but unless they escalated the situation by attacking me I will leave strongarm tactics for LE.If I ever draw a weapon from its concealed position I am going to use it!To wrecklessly point a firearm at someone without real justification is just dumb,will land you in jail,will leave you minus your guns,and could cause you to be disarmed by your adversary and killed with your own weapon.See, if you in your heart of hearts are not in fear of yours or a loved ones life you will secondguess yourself which causes hesitation.Hesitation gives your adversary the milisecond he needs to close the gap and disarm you.When dealing with firearms and self defense you had better be sneaky,swift ,sure,and very very ruthless!

I almost forgot to answer your original question.A crime punishable by death in my book is,
    Unlawful entry
    Molesting my kids
    Raping my wife
    Pointing a weapon at me
    carjacking me
    kicking my dog
    trying to disarm me
    voting for a liberal

5. reluctantpatriot

reluctantpatriot I am good without god.

Terra Planet, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    All the people I confront have the option to leave peacefully and not come back. However, those that wish to threaten me with what I perceive as potential deadly force, yes, those I will protect myself against with whatever level of force is required to stop the threat to my life.

I go out armed because I have had too many close calls where I naively thought that all would be well if I just talked and showed that I wasn't a threat. Now I know better and go loaded for a short war, if need be. I can't take the chance that someone is just lost or got their directions turned around anymore. This is the world we live in.

If I am fired upon, I will return fire in sufficient volume and frequency to terminate the threat, even if that results in the death of the attacker.

Unless you have had to endure living next to meth cookers for several years with NO response from the sheriff department and having to deal with endless vandalism, threats to your life and so on, you cannot begin to understand why I do what I do. It is better that there be several less criminals in the world than have one decent person perish because they thought that words could solve all.

You can agree or disagree with me, but in the end I don't care what you think because you haven't lived my life and had to endure what I have had to endure. Why should I have to leave myl and where I was happy just because criminals move on to a neighboring acrerage?

6. reitenger

reitenger Well-Known Member

Roadrash, I hope you have a large stockpile of ammo. If you don't I may have to buy you some after the last item on your list....

7. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Family threatened. I would take action. Don't know if I would consider that bloodthirsty. :shrug:
    tnborn

8. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

Can we add "Putting catsup on something I spent hours cooking with proper seasoning" to the list?

Seriously, how many folks here have fired a weapon for the protection of yourself or your property? Any regrets? Any legal ramifications? Has that incident changed how you would consider using lethal force next time?

9. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

You are right in that the use of a gun for self-defense is very serious business, but not all situations required full-blown center of mass shooting. Things like trespassing and kicking your dog are not that serious, and I've found if you just wing them in the leg or arm they tend to get the message.... ;);)

Seriously, I would only fire a weapon to stop the threat in a situation where I feared for my life or that of my families.

10. BigBoy

BigBoy No attitude here...

It's my opinion that anyone that violates my or my families rights has voluntarily given up his rights to me. And when I say rights I go by the Constitutional word as it was meant by the founding fathers.

As far as to not brandishing a weapon... you may be right. I would rather see the "OOPS! Didn't expect that!" look on his face if he tried something.
    :eek: Actually, I would rather he see that I was armed so he wouldn't do something stupid and end up with that "OOPS!" look.

But to answer the question... I couldn't give you a definitive list. Every situation is different. In fact, for the worst crimes against me or mine I would hope the person didn't die... too soon. :angel: ;)

11. greenbean

greenbean Well-Known Member

If my property or family members life is in danger, I would use my Army training in the use of deadly force. and try to do the following at gunpoint:
    1. Tell them to stop what they are doing in a forceful voice.
    2. If they did not stop, I would tell them I WILL shoot.
    3. If they still did not stop, I would fire a round in the air.
    4. if they STILL did not stop, I would shoot aiming for their lower LEGS. Not to kill.
    Of course this is theory. There are a zillion scenarios, for example If he is bringing a weapon to bear on me or mine, I'll have to try and stop him in his tracks.. If I wasn't shaking too badly.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Well-Known Member

One of the first things to remember. Stating what you will do on a forum and doing so in real life is two different things. It is real easy to type on the computer how you will react. Doing so in real life is different. There are many people who are armed that have no real idea what it takes to use a weapon on another person. Most people state what they believe they will do or what they hope they will do. If you have not been put in the position when deadly force has been used you do not really know what you will do.

I am sure you will recieve many answers to your question about the reasons to use deadly force but few real answers to your question about who has used deadly force. You will recieve some answers that are really not the truth. The truth is most people who use deadly force do not like to be reminded of it.

13. walkinghorse

walkinghorse Active Member

if it came down to it .............I would rather be "trialed by twelve than carried by six" ..............

14. roadrash

I know what it takes to use a weapon on another person!(SHEER TERROR).
    Greenbean your tactics suck!

15. Ahne Homestead

Ahne Homestead Well-Known Member

WoodsVan I have never pointed a gun or any weapon at anyone, Nor do I intend to. With that said if someone came onto my property and threatened the safety of my family there is the possibility I would meet them with a deadly force. I would have to weigh the consequences of my actions against the threat and decide at that time what force is appropriate. If someone came to steal from me I feel the cost of using deadly force is to high but if someone came to kill, kid map, or molest I think I would react first and think later. I say all of this without ever being in any of those situations. No one ever truly knows how they will act until they are faced with it.

I don't believe homesteaders as a general rule are as you say
    I think it is more of "there is a country way of doing things" mixed with frustration of others violating their property and personal rights. Living out of town means living farther away from the police which means not only a slower arrival time but a reluctance to even come out. The perpetrator has more time to do what they came for and get away safely. One answer to seeing these crimes committed against us stopped is to defend our rights and property ourselves. We are more left to fend for ourselves than we would like. Carl

16. heather

heather Well-Known Member

Oh, THANK YOU for giving me a much-needed laugh.
    For my hubby, kicking the dog might be at the top of the list :rolleyes:

Seriously, I like your list

17. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

To me, concealed carry is fine......but showing your firearm, up to and including pointing it without shooting, it quite acceptable to me if THAT de-fuses the situation and we all go home without bloodshed. I have done so in the past and would do so again under the same circumstances. The 'law' may call it 'brandishing a weapon'......I call it " Dude.....you MAY have forget to bring your gun this gunfight, do you REALL, REALLY, REALLY want this to go any farther ? "

In each case after I did so, LEOs were on the scene later, and nothing happened to me....the offending parties went to jail.......one cop even stated "Guy says you stuck a pistol in his face"......ME: "Yep"......Cop: " Don't blame ya a bit....have a nice day"......other situation, LEO pulls up, after the crook( stolen van full of stolen tools parked on my place til they could come back to get it....I was waiting ) has hightailed it down the road, looks at my 9mm in vest and AR-15 on the handle bars of the 4 wheeler and says "Man.....you're better armed than we are"........

There was another time in a underground parking garage of a major hotel chain in a major metropolitan city well known for it's assinine gun prohibitions. which I tend to toally ignore when in that city........approached by two 'gentlemen' of dubious character with what I suspect was less than honorable intent......I simply turned and faced them, with jacket drawn back by my hand on my pistol but not removed from the holster......they looked suprised, and left, no doubt to seek easier prey......I checked in the hotel. We all went home and told stories.....(no LEOs involved that day......and probably the best for me considering the location.)

I have no problem with "peace thru superior firepower".....and that often means only letting the bad guys KNOW the power is there.

On the other hand, had the situation escalated to the point that myself or a loved one was threatened sufficiently, I would not hesitatet shoot. And it wouldn't be 'in the leg'.

18. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

Nice to see the trolls exist outside of GC. :rolleyes:

19. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

If I show my gun, I am prepared to shoot and I will not hesitate. I've never had anyone question that fact. I believe I have prevented quite a bit a crime that was directed at me. I am truly not into being a vicitm.

Freedom comes with responsibility, responsibility to take care of myself. By being responsible, I can exercise my freedom of being secure in my property and person and be free to pursue my happiness.

Crossing my fences after dusk is a crime punishable by death. Only coyotes do that and they are legal to shoot.

20. roadrash

For those that choose to make a would be attacker aware of your firearm,make sure you are the one that calls LE immediately.There have been many cases where a criminal has been shown the business end of a weapon and forced to flee, only to call the law and report a madman pointed a weapon at them for no reason.Guess what?The law abideing citizen gets pulled over down the road with weapons drawn on him,handcuffed,and dragged down to the station till LE can sort it out.Tends to ruin your whole day!TN Andy,pulling back your jacket and making a perp aware of your firearm is not the same as drawing it on a trespasser.For one if done discreetly the only perp that will see it is the one you are facing and not his accomplice.Once you draw it there had better be an imminent threat!What about the second perp you did not know about that now knows your packing ?He is just gonna snipe you from the bushes or rush you from behind.Its much easier to disarm someone when you know for a fact they are armed and where exactly on their person that firearm is located!I think once you let your adversary know your armed you lose a large tactical advantage ,the element of surprise.I know what they teach at gunsite,and I know what I will do in most situations ,the cowboys in the crowd can do what they want! :cowboy: