homesteader's campout May 6 2006

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by rannie, May 6, 2006.

1. rannie

rannie Well-Known Member

We spent the day out there today, had a real enjoyable time. Thanks Aunt Moe and Ladonna for bringing Trent out with ya'll yesterday. He had a good time out there. ( he really likes being with his aunt :happy: who is the greatest). I sure hope you get to feeling better. Thank you thank you Corky for the seeds and the plants now if i can get em in the ground without killing them.
    it was nice visiting with all the nice and interesting people out there. Obser and Anne ya'll are one of a kind I really enjoyed talking with ya'll. Laura tell Kaitlin Becca says Hi. Looking forward to next time! :dance: Rannie

2. acabin42

acabin42 Well-Known Member Supporter

got back from the picnic today. Didn't get to spend the whole weekend, but did go Friday and left today(Sat). We sure did have a good time while I was there and I'm sure they are still having a good time. Got to see my son and his wife and grandkids. Food was plentiful and delicious. There sure wasn't as many people there as had signed up. That's really a shame, because you all missed a great time. Maybe next time............ :shrug:

3. rannie

rannie Well-Known Member

did it rain much more after we left

4. BeesNBunnies

BeesNBunnies Schnauzer nut

:Bawling: :Bawling: :Bawling: :Bawling:

Glad ya'll had fun.....great group of folks that meet there.

5. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

6. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

We made it home with no problems.
    Sure was wonderful to see those that made it, and we missed those that could not attend.
    Don feels like he has met his family!
    Lesley, you are a treat! Sure enjoyed meeting you!
    Enjoyed Dave and Annie's company also!
    Looking forward to the next one!

Dennis and Don

7. MTNwomanAR

MTNwomanAR Well-Known Member

Well, I haven't made to MY home yet, but I'm at my friends where we are fixing to have grilled steak and baked potatoes..........Sure enjoyed meeting all you new folks....Leslie, son Scott, fiance' Cat, Dave and Annie...and Don of course....and yes Dennis, he has found his family...much like most of us have over the years we have been having this..................... Enjoyed sitting around the fire and shootin the bull with ya...and thanks Leslie for the very kind words about my pictures. Vicky, enjoyed visiting with you also.....and the kids are always neat...wish I had some of their energy............. :dance:
    Jnap, it isn't that people aren't being honest, it's just that so many people when we first announce that we are having this say they would like to be there, or will be there, and then the time arrives, and planting is going on, or life, or as in Joe and Shelias' case, there was a death that prevented them from being there...and those that we know were dearly missed!!
    Thanks also to all who put money in the fall picnic pot...have more than enough!!! :)
    Rannie it rained pretty much all day saturday, but as corky said today as we were packing up, this was probably the coziest one yet...
    Marlene, I'm sorry you weren't feeling well.....and it just wasn't the same without you!!! :baby04: Not only that, but I got to put all my stuff in the BACK of the car, not on top........ :p
    The river was really, really high also...but it looked pretty good today.
    Oh mighty sultan, I stopped by the office, and got a phone number that I will call tomorrow.............

8. Dec429

Dec429 Well-Known Member

I would not know where to begin telling all of you how much I enjoyed the weekend. Truly one of the highlights of my life!
    First of all, I have to start by saying Thank You to my wonderful Dennis for making me a part of his family.
    LaDonna, it truly is a pleasure knowing you. Your laugh and wit keep me in stitches. I was happy to see Phoenix feeling better today.
    I hope you are feeling better, Marlene. We missed you after you left.
    Corky, hold on to those plastic bags when pulling that water handle!!!
    And, Milt, I could sit and listen to your tales for hours and hours.
    Russell, Laura and crew - enjoyed your company and thanks to the kids for all the help with Sophie and with cooking breakfast this morning.
    Bill, thank you for keeping the fire burning!
    Lesley, Scott and Cat - we plan to see you when we make it back to Missouri. What a surprise finding out you live just a few miles from my hometown!
    Dave and Annie, y'all come see us anytime! Very nice to have met you, and enjoyed your company.
    Noah, Rannie and anyone else that was there for the day on Saturday, enjoyed seeing you although we did not get to visit much.
    The van is unpacked and most of the articles put away. Believe it is now nap time!
    I cannot wait until the next time we all get together!
    Hugs,

Don

9. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

We finally made it home a few minutes ago after taking the "alternate route" to avoid construction on Hwy 44 in Missouri..throwing out the time we stopped for a bite to eat, it took 6 1/2 hours..at least the sun was shining.

I would have rather spent a week-end in the pouring rain with those folks than a week of perfect weather somewhere else. Everyone was just incredible..
    SUPER little kids and outstanding teen-agers..!!

It was so cool to listen to everyone's backgrounds. interests, areas of expertise..how they got to where they are..what a bunch of talented folks!
    As soon as my feet warm up, I'll be ready to do it again.. :)

BTW, the chicken was to die for..

10. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

As I posted over on the other thread, I had a great time as always.

The rain was unfortunate but did not stop us at all. Did you notice how it didn't rain in the morning when we were preparing food and then stopped when it was time to fix dinner? Cool! And yes it was a little nippy but that is what sweatshirts and coats are for. The kids didn't seem to mind at all.
    They played in shorts out in the rain while us old folks huddled under coats and blankets under the shelter. Oh well, we were once young like that too.

LaDonna, I just wanted you to know that I did take that steamy hot bubble bath in the claw footed tub for you when I got home. Well, after everything was unpacked and the chores were done. I thought of you if that makes you feel any better. :)

friday was just beautiful and so was today so the rain was just for a few hours Saturday. Gentle rain with no storms or wind. Not bad at all.

There were at least 24 there. I don't think we could have gotten many more under the shelter, do you?

Don, you would have to mention the plastic bag thing. :grump:

Well, you all missed the , rinsing out the cast iron pot thing. You would have laughed much harder at that one. :p

For those of you that wern't there, the water from the faucit had very high pressure that made for some good laughs! I tried to rinse out a plastic bag and it shot out of my hand and every one had a good laugh at my expense but later I tried to rinse out a pot and the water shot back out of the pan into my face. I couldn't believe no one saw that one. :rolleyes:
    Whew! :)

11. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Corky - I didn't miss that one...but I'd done it to myself so many times..it just wasn't even funny to have it happen to even someone else. I think something was wrong with that crazy thing -- it was like trying to work with a firehose.

Thank you Dennis for not pointing out that Friday night after everyone went to bed pretty much on my schedule -- it was me who was up making noise. Well, nephew Trent and I....actually it might have been a good idea to be awake after ya'll heard..."Aunt Mo there's a skunk out here heading towards our food!" .... Can't wait to tell Tana Mc about that one :)

Anyone else ready to start planning the fall one?

Hugs
    Marlene

12. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

Marlene..I am so glad that you're feeling better..I feel obligated to tell you that after you left, an "un-named" person began to constantly flit here and there picking up trash, putting things away, even going so far as to eye my almost empty coffee cup muttering, "I HAVE to do this for Marlene..have to, have to"..
    ROFLOL..

On the other thread, someone mentioned "musical talent"..for those who weren't there, my son Scott had brought along his guitar..Trent, Quincy, Kat, & I happily listened to (and either hummed or croaked or sang..depending upon point of view) Metallica, Grateful Dead, Stones, new music I never heard of..(meaning anything in the last 10 years)..then Bill joined us and we went through nearly the entire movie score from "OH Brother Where Art Thou", moved off into '50's music, and in general had a pretty good time of it. Now, if we had had Trent's drums and Quincy's flute, and Don's voice + guitar to join Scott's..wow..THAT would have been something !

Saturday night, Scott helped load me into Dennis & Don's van and then he drove my WC into the rest room to re-charge it during the night. I had completely forgotten that my cane was in MY van which was parked 4 feet away..LOCKED, and Scott had the key. Soooooooo, Sunday morning there I was in my lovely flowered PJ's, hanging onto the mini-ladder of their van unable to go anywhere. I could see the Sultan, & Bill & Laura and others around the fire but they couldn't see me. I hollered.."Hellooooooooooo." and tried them by name..but only succeeded in waking up people who were trying to sleep in the tents..THEY thought I was just being a "cheery morning person."
    Eventually,folks camping next to us wondered why this middle aged pajama-clad woman was hanging onto the van ladder and hollering..so they came over (with caution), and went and got "my" people. Laura was kind enough to run off to the rest room, get my powerchair and take a brief ride in it..HOORAY..

Corky was SO kind to go to all of that trouble to bring various plants for everyone..(HUGS)..
    There's just not room on a single thread to mention how absolutely fantastic everyone is.
    When we finally got home, Scott said to me.."Hey, how about giving me the link to that forum..all of those people are just incredible! and..did you say they get together again in the Fall?" :)

13. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

yes, another in the fall.... :dance:

you bet i'll be there if humanly possible....

yes, even the rain didn't ruin the party-made it kinda cozy....the kids were worn plumb out-they didn't want to get up this morning for school-neither did i, but, we did, and we weren't even late....

kids are still talking about it and thanking me for taking them camping...family togetherness :)

14. Dec429

Dec429 Well-Known Member

I'm ready for the fall campout! I wish we could get together again this summer, and not have to wait until fall.

We were both exhausted when we made it home - of course, maybe the fact that these 2 old geezers sat up talking half the night had something to do with that??!! :shrug:

Glad to hear everyone made it home safely!

15. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

Don, to me half the night is 12 midnight.
    Any time after that is morning. You were up all night! I am proud to say I was too, almost!

16. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Took a side trip nearly to Branson Mo tho. Since I couldnt find the shower without getting lost, I sure appriciate Marlenes help in occasionally washing me off with the power hose, lol.. When i go again, ill know where to set, just need to take my flip flops, a towel and soap. Sat and listened to yarns long enough to make another afgan like Lesley had, and maybe told one or two by accident too. Sure did appricate the GOOD cooking and mI hope God did bless all of you that had a hand in it too. Thanks Milt for the loan of your hard top. Made good insurance, but I about broke my alls when I had to climb out at 300 to hit the bathroom AGAIN. We had ALOT of beans and chili fri night, and tween the snoring and snoring its a wonder anybody got any sleep. Then theres the pity of the guys john running out of paper. Only I was the lucky one. I had shorty there LOL. Twas good singing. We needed to do more of it, but we need to fix the volume knob, as those singing sure wernt proud of it. I taught a course in cutting wood, to the kids, and Laura, tell that one of yours he owes me a new handle as when I was takeing the sledge out to put it away, I noticed a crack at the handle end , hard head LOL LOL. I hadnt laughed that hard since I got my discharge from the army. Enjoyed seeing everyone there including rannie who didnt even mention me waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Take care all

17. rannie

rannie Well-Known Member

farmboybill i said i enjoyed talking to all the nice and interesting people, and you are diffently one of em. Trent and becca enjoyed the new "old" game you taught em. When i got Trent home he took some meds and went to bed he was feeling worst than what he was saying he is still not fully recovered. he really did not want to leave sick or not. Yes i am looking forward to the next one in the fall and hopefully karl (my husband for those who do not know)will be in to attend. I hope it is better weather too where we can have some demo's i enjoy those so much. Farmboybill made the most of it with games and wood cutting thanks rannie

18. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

gee, bill, i'm sooo sorry. i'll have jessie do some work to buy you a new handle....or was it caitlin? thanks again for teaching the kids those games.

rannie, caitlin said hi back to becca and to trent. she hopes he feels better, and aunt mo too.

we're almost dried out. now just have to get all the laundry done :Bawling: :help:

19. MTNwomanAR

Well, I finally got my car cleaned out, and my nasty laundry done...and am NOT looking forward to going to work again.......... :Bawling: :Bawling:

20. MTNwomanAR

Oh BTW- Leslie I got your pm, and emailed you back...Thanks!