Homestead security

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tnborn, Nov 8, 2005.

1. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

After reading several threads about property damage and burgarlies(sp), I was wondering how do each of us prevent those scenerios from happening?
    I have 5 dogs. 4 run loose of course bo is in with the goats.Does any one have security alarms? Border security?
    tnborn

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

realy dont need any sercurity everyone here seems to respect each others property

3. kuriakos

kuriakos Well-Known Member

I must be one of the few people here who aren't real fond of dogs. We don't have any pets because we often have to be away from home for extended times. We rely on a completely electronic system to alert us to trespassers and intruders...I'll keep the details to myself, it's VERY effective. It's custom designed for our property because no off the shelf systems met my requirements, but it wasn't really too expensive...one-time cost of just over $10,000, including several updates with new technology that's become available since I installed the original system. The components are high quality and should last a LONG time.

There is a subsystem guarding the perimeter of our property with motion sensors that can distinguish between humans and wildlife...that was the most expensive feature, but well worth it in my opinion...only two false alarms triggered by wildlife in almost five years. There are additional sensors to track the intruders' location and direction of movement. There are cameras everywhere outside the house and a few inside so when the alarm wakes me up I can quickly find where exactly the intruders are, how many there are, and whether they're armed, before I leave my bedroom.

The outer perimeter system is mostly intended just as an advanced warning for when we're home so I can meet any intruders with a 12-guage, but for when we're not home it also has an autodialer that calls my cell phone, a few neighbors, and my brother who lives close by...there's an "acknowledge alarm" button I press when the alarm wakes me up, so the autodialer doesn't call everyone if we're home.

In addition to that, the house itself has an intrusion detection subsystem as a backup in case the outer perimeter alarm fails...although it never has, so I've always been awakened long before anyone got within 100 yards of the house. But the house subsystem is also monitored by an alarm company for when we're not home, just as another backup measure in case intruders get past the outer perimeter without being stopped by the neighbors or my brother. The police are pretty quick out here when they get a B&E in progress call. The cameras also record any motion when the alarm has been tripped, so we can watch the video and possibly identify the intruders if we or the police don't catch them.

I used to install alarms when I was in college, so I was able to do this all myself and avoid trusting strangers with my security, but most handy people could also design and install a good system after spending some time reading up on what's available and how it all works. Mine probably sounds like overkill to most people, and I left out a LOT of details, but it's really a simple system just so we have a little extra time to react before the intruder is standing over our bed with a knife and I don't have time to reach for my gun. Plus, I just kind of enjoy playing around with the technology and improving the system. I also spend quite a bit of time and energy on physical security measures, but I won't go into that.

A man's home is his castle...mine is my fortress.

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

We have six dogs, a rifle and a shotgun. We also have a chain gate across our driveway and the entire property is posted. Our neighbor behind us keeps a close eye on both his and our properties and we do the same for him. The front and side property line is bordered by a deep diversion ditch which keeps vehicles out and fences on the other sides. My husband and I do not hesitate to investigate strange activity/vehicles, etc. and I have been known to call the sheriff's dept. out here on several occasions...and take license plate numbers for them. The neighbor tells me that I'm known as "Sheriff Paula" in the community and I like that just fine.

5. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

Border collie, aussie mixes and a Jack Russell can take care of most problems around here. When we were having a big problem with neighbor boys cutting our fences, sneaking onto the property and vandalizing, we added a flock of geese and a horny, rude billy goat to the bottom pasture. When the troublemakers have approached our side fences, the border collie alerts me and follows them home barking the whole time so I can call and wake up their parents just as the kids are sneaking back into their house. It put an end to the "My child would never do anything like that" BS. Jr. Commandos place trip wires on many of the trails leading to targeted properties causing the problem children to do headers and face plants off steep terrain trails. I guess it is pretty obvious who was where the night before when these boys get on the schoolbus with serious trail rash on their faces. Some properties in the neighborhood have rusty tangled barbed wire around the perimeter.

Needless to say, we have very few problems in the neighborhood anymore. My relationship with the Jr. Commandos is on a strickly don't ask, dont' tell basis.

We are on a private road and know all the neighbors. When there are strange vehicles or strangers walking through, we have no problem going out taking plate numbers, asking for ID and to state ther purpose for being here. Several members of the neighborhood do this and it cuts down on the riff raff.

A deputy told me last year our neighborhood has the lowest crime rate in the county and he didn't want to know how we do it. 2 felonies in the past 10 years with full convictions on both.

6. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I've got a security system probably not quite as elaborate as Kuriakos but pretty extensive. Several IR cameras, IR motion detector lights to provide light for the cameras, intrusion detectors, etc. I've never really had any problems that I needed it for to be honest but it is nice to know it is there. About the only thing it gets used for is to tell me when the mail has come, when UPS, FEDEX, DHL or other visitors are coming up the drive. Of course if worst comes to worst I have the means and the determination to stop any intruder or intruders with deadly force.

Some things I don't do are so-called security lights. These are a scam for the frightened and gullible usually peddled by the power company. All they do is make it easier for a thief to see what he is stealing. I don't go overboard with super high grade locks on high strength exterior doors. Mine are good quality dead bolts but that is it. I'm so far away from neighbors that if a thief wants inside he will just break out a window anyway. All of my doors and windows are alarmed though. Now certain windowless rooms in my house are much more secure with steel reinforced frames and doors with almost bank vault like locks along with hardened walls. I also don't go for attack dogs. More of a liability and an annoyance. Some breeds will even void my farm and ranch policy. Plus if they are running loose they are a menace and if they escape the property they will rightly be shot by a neighbor. That and I've never talked to a thief yet who was any more than mildly inconvenienced by a dog.

7. jeffreyc256

jeffreyc256 Well-Known Member

We live on a dead end country road and the guy at the end killed two people years ago while bar hopping. Now all the other streets have had thefts, burglaries and the sort but our entire road had been crime free for years. We never have traffic coming down the road to just check things out. Now I have to ask is this coincidence or is there a lesson to be learned?

8. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

So I should move next door to a murderer?!? Will have to get techie DH interested in a security system but it better cost a lot less than $10K!!! Hopefully since we'll live there we won't have much trouble.

9. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I don't have a security system. We as a small group of neighbors try and watch each other's property. It's getting bad and will get worse I'm afraid. My friend's mom lives in the next county which is very rural, they have had numerous petty thefts from their property and they have lived on that land for over 60 years and know everyone. The drug problems are growing very disproportionate in rural area because they know the sheriffs dept. is undermanned, undertrained, and underfunded to do anything.
    Dogs and other animals will help deter the petty crime problems. If you have something they really want they'll do whatever they need to in order to get it.

10. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

Goose, is our outdoor security alarm. He will usually let us know when something is up.

Indoors, well we have never had anyone test that one, but be assured we are secure. :)

11. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Great thread!!!!

One thing I've noticed, my neighbor only has his gate closed when he & the family go away for the weekend...If anyone is casing, that sure tells all.

I'm going to THINK more, be more reserved, carry my pistol, leave NOTHING around or unlocked. Make it look as if a man lived here, too.

Told my neighbor I'm having a workman here this afternoon. She's going to "be around & visible, maybe drop over".

I"ll just become that cranky ol' lady down the lane. ;) I wish.

12. kuriakos

kuriakos Well-Known Member

Those are some good points for people who live far from neighbors...if there's no one around to see or hear burglars, lights and heavy doors aren't a deterrent. You're right, lights only make it easier for the them.

You should be able to put together a pretty effective system for a few hundred dollars. Most of the features I have in mine really aren't necessary, just a little more convenient...and fun for me.

Yeah, that's a dead giveaway. My in-laws always put a lamp in their front window on a timer when they're gone overnight, but that lamp is never on when they're home...makes it pretty obvious, but they won't listen to my advice. My grandparents used to put a "wet paint" sign hung across the steps up to their front porch when they would travel for the summer...everyone wondered why they got their porch painted every summer, and why it took three months for the paint to dry. It was almost like putting up a sign that said "NOT HOME - PLEASE ROB US!" Fortunately, they eventually realized they weren't fooling anyone and they stopped putting that sign up.