Homestead Search

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fourangels, Jan 10, 2005.

1. fourangels

fourangels Member

We have been looking for a homestead for about three years now and have come close twice but it waas not to be. The first time we found a great place in VT however I could not leave my job in time and the place was sold. The second time was in western NY in an Amish comunity and we were two hours late and had placed the second offer however the first offer took the place. We are looking for a place in Eastern NY by the Southern VT border with a home that has at least 3 bedrooms. Anywhere near an Amish comunity in the area would be great as they are really friendly and helpful people, especially to homesteaders. Anyone have anything out there or know of anything ? I look forward to hearing from anyone with helpful information.

Thanks

Ron

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Hey Ron,

You probably already know about this site, but just in case you don't check out www.unitedcountry.com there are some interesting places there.

3. spring77

spring77 Well-Known Member

I don't think you'll find any Amish over there. There are Amish in New York but they like good farmland with reasonable taxes. That's why they are moving OUT of Lancaster in PA. Most of the Amish in New York are over closer to Buffalo and Lake Erie. The area you are talking about doesn't attract them. Close to the Hudson where the good land is the taxes are to high cause people with NYC jobs live and commute from there driving property values through the roof. Closer to Vermont the land is slopey and the soil is heavy and shaley. You can probably find a nice homestead in Washington County if you don't mind clay soil, but you won't find any Amish around. Columbia County is more expensive as its closer to the City. It also gets expensive the closer you get to Saratoga Springs. If you go north you get into the Adirondack park and then you have a whole lot of rules and regulations about what you can do on your own land so I'd avoid that if I were you, also no Amish up there.

4. fourangels

fourangels Member

Thanks Bob, I have been on that site for I don't even know how long. They do in fact have several interesting places and neat prices too. We are still looking though we would like to stay close to CT as we have elderly parents and might need to return frequently. Thanks again and if you hear of anything I would really appreciate a shout

Ron
    Four Angels Farm

5. fourangels

fourangels Member

Thanks for the info, though we would like to live near or within an Amish comunity it doesn't mean that we would not consider a place that they are not in. One of the reason for choosing to live closeby to them is that it has been my experience that they help neighbors out a lot and have a great sense of comunity. Two things that we do and like. Also they pick certain areas, as you have mentioned, for the farming and tax reasons, thus wherever they have settled you can bet that the land is good and taxes are low.
    Thanks again for the info and if you hear of a place please let us know.

Ron
    Four Angels Farm