Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I bought 50 acres of land about 2.5 years ago. It was clear cut ~10 years before we bought it so there was lots of small trees and briars grown up. We are finally getting it cleared and cleaning it up and planting grass. We have about 5 acres planted and we put down common Bermuda. I have always been a horse person, and once my husband meet me, he became one also. We have 3 horses, and may board or foster at the next house (on the 50 acres). We got goats within the last year, and recently got a nubian buck. I'd like to try my hand at dairy.

So our family consists of (at the moment) 3 dogs, 3 horses, 9 goats (with 3 bred hopefully for this spring), 4 barn cats, 12 chickens, and two beehives.

I had ideally wanted to keep the horses and goats together in a pasture, and possibly have the chickens be able to go in the pasture also. I had planned on 2"x4"house fence, thinking that would be the best for the horses and goats.

My problem now is, I don't think my horses are going to get along with the goats. I'm not sure how to set it up so I could rotate the two in the pastures. I had planned on all pastures being accessible from the barn and then just leaving the one I wanted them to have access to open. I'm thinking I could still do that with the horses, and then lock the goats in a different one? I'd either have to have shelter in each pasture or a moveable run in for the goats, and I'd have to get all the horses in the barn and locked up before I could get the goats from their pasture to bring them to the barn for milking/feeding. It just sounds like a lot of work and I really wanted everything to just be really thought out and smooth running since we are staying from scratch and could go whichever way we like with things.

I will attempt to attach my sketch of how I had hoped everything would be laid out. I would like to start building in Feb of 2016 at the latest.

I also wanted to do a barn with a center aisle, and the pen attached to the end was just a thought of how to block off the other end of the aisle so we could have light in but not have animals coming in. The barn we currently have allows the horses access to the stalls at all times. I'm also not sure if I'd keep the horses and goats in the same barn. It'd be cheaper to add a few extra stalls than build a separate barn. I've never seen a goat barn though, so not sure how to set up stalls, milking area, etc.

Any ideas, efficiency comments on the layout would be appreciated.

·
Registered
134 Posts
We are having 8 acres cleared and I'm turning it into pasture for sheep what are some difficulties you ran into converting!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, we hit the jackpot when we found a retired guy with nothing to do who had built roads for a living before. He's good with an excavator and not charging us much to clear. So he's digging out stumps & leveling. Then we've been coming back in and burning the piles of stumps, and then we go back and plow, rake the sticks a time or two, plow again, rake sticks a time or two. It's been a lot of work smoothing and getting up roots & sticks. Had a horse a few years ago jam a stick into his leg near a joint and it was really bad. So now I'm paranoid and determined to get every single stick on 50 acres up....so right now that's the time consuming part.
I'm just trying to get to planning now so I'm not doing it at the last second. I want everything well thought out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts