homestead planning

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cyngbaeld, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Just wondering if there are any other 'compulsive list makers' out there. I'm working on still another homestead plan. I'm between homesteads right now, waiting for a house to sell. Also changed states, growing zones etc. Was living in high mountain desert, now midwest plains. Thinking about missouri maybe. Find as I get older (wiser?) I am less ambitious. I still would like to at least provide 90 to 95 o/o of what we eat from the homestead. I still want chickens possibly ducks and geese, guineas and rabbits but nothing bigger. Also more interested in a 4 season harvest greenhouse and aquaponics.

Do you make a plan? Change it often? Follow thru?

2. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Constantly changing. :rolleyes: I got this place seemingly on impulse --- except this area is the ONLY place I've ever wanted to live my entire life :) (and yes, I've lived in some absolutely wonderful places in my life --- they just weren't ... HERE!).

So my plans weren't necessarily set when i moved in, although I had some pretty strong notions.

However, you have to adapt your plans to what you actually have, and it took me a good year to get a good handle on this place --- not to mention, maintenance and the basics are so much more important than the want-to-dos. And there's always something coming along that interferes with the ability to get things done --- eg, I'd planned to spend two-three weeks in May and the first part of June doing some pretty major outdoor work here, while it was still cool enough --- but a house I co-own in another town caught on fire, not to mention it's been raining almost every day for a month and I ended up with several commitments which require I work inside on the computer a lot .... and poof, those plans have had to be put off til fall. And cool days during the summer. Again.

You just have to go with the flow, corny as that sounds, and adapt to circumstances. If you just keep working at it though, things work out eventually. :)

3. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I research Ideas and different type plans that are avalibe and then select what looks like it will work, then figure the costs and returns on the ideas ,In this area I know what will not work, but also how to make a new orchard pay for itself in part. I want to get back into rasing swine as there is a huge market for live animals at Christmas time.

4. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Water is still critical. Missouri gets a lot of water, but very little of it seems to be in July and August. Some people still haul drinking water, but few do that any more.

Weeds and GRASS grow like nothing I have ever seen. If I don't cut around my fence, it can get 5' tall.

Major garden pests include cucumber beetles (they carry a virus), worms in the corn (a few drops of vegetable oil on the silk does wonders), and green worms on cabbage family plants(BT is good for that, or just hand pick).

I imagine that things are very different in the Ozarks area, but I bet it holds true for all of the plains areas! ;)

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Major lists, major plans...many times, all different!

Now, we're actually working on things, and still the lists and plans change. Part of it's age, most of it's health related...I'm more limited in what I can do than I planned on being 20 years ago!

From the originally planned flocks of Angora goats and North Country Cheviot sheep, along with Angora rabbits (I'm into fiber, in case you didn't guess), Highland cattle, chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, and pigeons....

To chickens. Still planning on just a few turkeys, pigeons, French Angora rabbits (dual purpose), and a couple of milk goats. Maybe a baby beef in a couple years.

Basically, our goal went down the logical path...from "How much money can I make doing this" all the way to, "What do I like to eat, how much do I have to have to feed me, and hey, look, someone wants to buy excess eggs, isn't that cool"...all while we're still enjoying ourselves.

We didn't move out here to make it something we hated...and my husband is at risk for that. I want to enjoy it, and I want him to enjoy it. He has trouble. Just this morning, after we both finished our morning chores, and he got frustrated over a flat tire on the lawn tractor, I took him berry picking. When I grew up, that was fun. He thought it was a nasty, thorn ridden, hot chore! Oh, well, he'll like the blackberry jam.....

Meg

6. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I developed a 3 year business plan and a 7 year outline for my self relient lifestyle that outlined my overall goals and the investment, business venture and agronomic facets I wished to accomplish to achieve the goals I have. So far due to my divorce, I have been able to revise my first 3 year plan to remove the aspects of supporting a family , which allowed me to complete the remaining goals early and revise the 7 year outline to a 5 year timeframe. I am now in the process of doing a new outline and developing my next 3 year plan to provide me with a defined path to follow.

7. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I'm not quit that detailed specially when it comes to time frames.

I have set goals such as providing at least 90 to 95 % of our diet. Course having dd on gluten free, corn free and now dairy free has not helped a bit.

I also plan to raise all the animal feed that we use. I would like to produce all heating fuel. Probably keep buying propane to cook on. Don't know that I'll go off grid again. That's kind of a 'well, let's wait and see' thing. I'd want a really good system and that's kind of pricey.

Mostly my thinking runs along the lines of 'produce what we use, reduce what we buy. ' I figured out one time that a dollar saved equals at least 2 dollars earned, because of the cost of working and taxes etc. Anyhow, that was what it worked out to be in my own particular situation.

I'm really looking hard at the 4 season harvest concept and aquaponics.
    I have some good links if anyone is interested.

8. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

Planning? :rolleyes: What else would an accountant do? 5+ meg and growing seed/plant plan workbook and more than a gig of downloaded pdfs/html pages. Last time I "gardened" was pre Net so I read books but wasted hours going back through resources to confirm a nugget I'd read or skimming through pages of handwritten notes. Today a quick search on or off line is nearly instant--yeah, progress!

katy *who's going to need a bigger HD before I make the jump* :p

9. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

katydidonce,
    Four season harvesting was one of my first post divorce "Singletree Knoll streamlines". Instead of putting back produce by dehydration or canning, I sell everything I can during growing season and eat from it, then in winter months I grow a few SFG raised beds in my environmentally controlled greenroom in the back of my house. :)

10. Gina

Gina Active Member

Cyngbaeld,
    I would very much appreciate some links for Aquaponics and the Four Season Harvest concept. Thank you!

Gina