Homestead needs have changed.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kenneth in NC, May 10, 2005.

1. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

OK things have changed. This Congestive Heart Failure has taken a big toll on me. So now our needs for a new homestead has changed. We have decided to scale down what were looking for.

In a nutshell we want:
    - clean air and clean water
    - trees and lots of wildlife
    - 5 to 10 acres
    - small school with good teachers no gangs
    - 5 Bedroom 3-bath home well insulated can be older home
    - Central heat and Air with propane backup
    - good gun laws (less restrictions the better)
    - co-op to buy eggs and milk from
    - reasonable taxes
    - peaceful neighbors, but not too close
    - on the grid and with phone
    - 4 seasons (or at least a short growing season even if green house needed) DW likes tomatoes, strawberries
    - snow in the winter
    - Weather that stays around 60-80 summer, 30’s winter
    - little to no humidity
    - decent road access year round
    - within 30 minutes or so to a fair sized town
    - close to lakes
    - a wired outbuilding would be nice
    - If possible not a whole lot of biting insects

And I guess the biggie is that we want it to be affordable so we can pay it off with-in 5 years.

Suggestions, ideas? I’m Listening.

Kenneth in NC

2. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

If you are Believers, submit the list to the Lord and pray. I'm praying on it for you, too!

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

The area I'm in hits pretty close other than humidity and bugs.

big rockpile

4. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Well I was all set to recommend the Hill Country in Texas, but we have no snow, higher temps and a biting insect or twenty, lol.

hollym

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    What price range do you have in mind?

6. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Kenneth, here are a few thoughts on homesteading with a health problem (I have Multiple Sclerosis now, and my endurance is practically nil).

Riding lawn mowers are lovely. I did half of my 1 acre yard, the rest will wait until another day. I still have enough energy to care for the house, and I wouldn't if I had done even a LITTLE with a walking mower.

Spraying the dwarf fruit trees was exhausting, but it is done. I need do no more before the harvest. Fruit trees give a better return for my scarce labor than a vegetable garden, because they rarely need watering and never need weeding.

I AM going to plant a row of veggies. It is just SO nice to step outside for tomatos for dinner! And supermarket tomatos do not compare. So, I will plant a few and mulch them heavily. I ALSO have some brocolli plants to put in, and such. Broccoli can be harvested all summer long. But, just a single row of veggies this year. I will buy everything else at the farmers market.

Chickens are easy to care for, though building a hen house would not be. That's OK, I already have one.

You CAN plant asparagus while on your knees with a grubbing hoe. In fact, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be, because the weight of the grubbing hoe does most of the work. But don't wast your time with those puny nursery roots: Those that I got at Morgan County Seeds in Missouri were 3 roots to the pound and they have taken off in a MAJOR way! Asparagus has deep roots, and so I will not have to water very often. I won't weed at all: I will just mow around them.

So far the beehives have done well for me. I can ignore the hives on my puny days, and do a hive or two when I feel like it.

Good luck, and take care.

7. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

You probably won't find everything on your list. Put things in order of importance and consider yourself lucky if you find half of them.

8. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

New Hampshire... be a bit colder in the winter though.

One thing not on your list which I think should be high on it is access to top flight medical facilities. For good medical facilities I'd be willing to wave other considerations, because that speaks directly to your quality of life. If you have to drive 2, 3, 6 hours to get to the care you need, that is going to cut into the quality of your life considerably. It is one of the (multiple) reasons my husband and I are loath to leave our home here in VT. We are a half hour away from an excellent hospital (Copley in Morrisville) and a little over an hour away from the Dartmouth/Hitchcock in Hanover, NH. If I had to slum, I even have access about an hour away to the teaching hospital in Burlington.

Not something we take lightly as we get older.

9. Sedition

Sedition Well-Known Member

I live outside a small community within 30 minutes of Des Moines, Iowa. Everything fits exactly what you are looking for, a nice small schools, “Iowa” nice people, rivers and woods - but a breeze that keeps the skeeters down, middle of the road state taxes, good soil with 4 very-very different seasons! Everything, except for two little details.

Summers are hot and humid - 90 to 110 for 30 days. Winters are cold and nose-bleed dry - 0 to 20 below, for 30 days. The rest of the year, days are nice. My family spends most of our April, May, June, August, September and October days eating dinner outside.

But it really depends on what you consider affordable…

There are two homesteads within three miles of my house for sale right now. One is 11 acres with a 1999 pre-fab home and big garage/barn that backs right up to the Middle Raccoon River. $229,000, $1,500 a month for an 80/20 loan. It would take $70,000 in family income to buy this home.

The other is a 1970’s ‘back-to-the-earth’ homestead about 200' from the Upper Raccoon River on 4 acres, $279,000. $1,850 a month for an 80/20 loan. It would take $85,000 in family income to buy this home.

Anything with a few acres AND within 30 minutes of a fair sized town is going to cost a mint. I work full time to pay our bills, and I bought my hobby farm a few years back, so it is much more affordable than these two properties. There is no way that I could pay off the debt in 5 years. Ten years, maybe- and we should be able to do so in less than 15 years.

10. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I know of only 2 places with weather that mild: the west coast clear on up to Alaska, and Hawaii. The temp of the ocean enens out the temp of the land.....assuming you are close enough to the ocean. I do not know if it works the sam on the east coast.

Alas, I suspect that the cost of even Alaska's coast will be out of sight. :grump:

11. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

I plan on planting tomatoe plants and strawberry plants this year and maybe some green bell pepper plants. All else I'll buy at the farmers market. We haven't worried about "pretty flowers" in some time. If the Creator puts them here we'll enjoy them. DW isn't up to keeping up flower beds anymore.

{color=red]Ok let's look at that list[/color]
    In a nutshell we want:
    - clean air and clean water A Must have
    - trees and lots of wildlife A Must have
    - 5 to 10 acres Could be smaller if in right area
    - small school with good teachers no gangs A Must have
    - 5 Bedroom 3-bath home well insulated can be older home Could squeak by on 3 bed 2 bath if theres some outbuildings
    - Central heat and Air with propane backup OK could skip the propane backup
    - good gun laws (less restrictions the better) At least no worse than NC
    - co-op to buy eggs and milk from preferable but guess could buy at supermarket
    - reasonable taxes A Must have
    - peaceful neighbors, but not too close A Must have
    - on the grid and with phone A Must have
    - 4 seasons (or at least a short growing season even if green house needed) DW likes tomatoes, strawberries OK a short growing season all else optional
    - snow in the winter A Must have
    - Weather that stays around 60-80 summer, 30’s winter OK winters can be COLD -30 ok
    - little to no humidity dry humidity not NC wringing wet type
    - decent road access year round A Must have
    - within 30 minutes or so to a fair sized town fair size town meaning 10,000 people or less with hospital facility
    - close to lakes fishing hole ok
    - a wired outbuilding would be nice A Must have
    - If possible not a whole lot of biting insects Both DD and I are terribly allerigic to stings and poision insect bites

And I guess the biggie is that we want it to be affordable so we can pay it off with-in 5 years. $75,000 or less

My God sedition There are two homesteads within three miles of my house for sale right now. One is 11 acres with a 1999 pre-fab home and big garage/barn that backs right up to the Middle Raccoon River. $229,000, $1,500 a month for an 80/20 loan. It would take $70,000 in family income to buy this home.

The other is a 1970’s ‘back-to-the-earth’ homestead about 200' from the Upper Raccoon River on 4 acres, $279,000. $1,850 a month for an 80/20 loan. It would take $85,000 in family income to buy this home.

I'd like to live long enough to get it paid for.

Keep the idea's coming.

Kenneth

12. chickenhawk

chickenhawk New Member

Have you thought looking at Wyoming or somewhere out west? It is pretty dry there, compared to the midwest. Not too populated

13. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

dry humidity?

14. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

If you find that place Kenneth in NC and decide not to jump, let me know. That is asking a lot.

15. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Here in tn we got most of that other than the dry heat in summer! Just looked at one local brick home 1200 sq ft, 2nd home for storage, 13.8 ac 72k asking price! No coops i know of, just buy from the mennonites or amish! some snow but not much!

16. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Why is snow a must have? Could you visit up North for a couple weeks in the winter, instead? I had friends in Hillman, Michigan who had lovely property. You could have all the winter you could stand in a week or so, November through March. It was beautiful.

17. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

This simple. Life is about you as the most important person in YOUR world. But true living demands that one think of those they leave behind, such as children. College money, health insurance, etc. Life CANNOT be simple in the world WE have allowed the lawyers to create.

18. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

Kenneth

I think you had almost all that in Central NY when you were here. You should have given it a little more time. :)

19. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

You can probably get most of that in south east Ohio. Property is cheap, houses are cheap, land is cheap. The basic problem is you can't get a lot of jobs.

Don't know about the dry humidity. Weather is a good four seasons, quite moderate in the extremes. Buying that 5 bedroom, 3 bath place might be a challenge, most houses in the country are more modest.

You can get a lot of value in some fixer-uppers. I just bought one for 25K. Seven room / bath / full basement with .6 acres. In pretty good shape for the big ticket items. I have to rewire, do some heating, plumbing and replace the windows and then make it pretty. Should be able to come in under 30K. Good access to shopping, technology and reasonable amount of civilization. The boonies are minutes away, at some time in the future I plan on looking for a "Country Place". Tough to find one location that will have everything.

"City Places" tend to have small lots and towns are pretty densely packed. Lots of small towns to choose from and reasonable driving distances / times to the bigger ones. Think your expectations for the dream location with a huge house in first class shape for super cheap money are misplaced. Why would the guy who owns it move?????? :bash:

Very low crime rates, good people, you can get huge mugs of coffee cheap with sugar and cream. Not much not to like. I am getting to love driving again. Very little traffic, almost none in the boonies, you can count the stop lights on one hand in most places, smaller towns have none, reasonable decent roads and pretty good drivers who stick to the rules. Sure ain't like Boston. They even turn on their lights at night. :haha:

Taxes are very low. Gardens may be a problem. Lots of deer, so you may need that gun. It does snow in the winter but not brutal amounts nor does it stay around for long periods. The good thing may be it is not a high growth area, if anything it may be loosing population. What manufacturing jobs still left are slowly leaving.

20. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

"In a nutshell we want:
    - clean air and clean water
    - trees and lots of wildlife
    - 5 to 10 acres
    - small school with good teachers no gangs
    - 5 Bedroom 3-bath home well insulated can be older home
    - Central heat and Air with propane backup
    - good gun laws (less restrictions the better)
    - co-op to buy eggs and milk from
    - reasonable taxes
    - peaceful neighbors, but not too close
    - on the grid and with phone
    - 4 seasons (or at least a short growing season even if green house needed) DW likes tomatoes, strawberries
    - snow in the winter
    - Weather that stays around 60-80 summer, 30’s winter
    - little to no humidity
    - decent road access year round
    - within 30 minutes or so to a fair sized town
    - close to lakes
    - a wired outbuilding would be nice
    - If possible not a whole lot of biting insects

And I guess the biggie is that we want it to be affordable so we can pay it off with-in 5 years."

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die to get there. ;)