Homestead lull...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Jul 20, 2006.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Been so busy with my "other" stuff that I have hit a lull in the homestead life...

I look forward to fall, it seems to be one of my most productive times for getting things done around here.

2. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

The recent flooding had pretty much destroyed all my gardens, so won't be doing much in the way of harvesting and canning this year. I replanted some beans, but I don't know if there's enough time for them to mature. I sold a bunch of my laying hens because when I changed jobs I lost most of my eggs customers. Had an unexpected kid last week, other than that there are no babies to look after. Other than trying (and failing) to keep up with mowing I have a lull here, too.

3. bargarguy

bargarguy Well-Known Member

Bob
    Just in case your plans changed we are still meeting this sat. at 11:30, it would nice if you could make it, but if not we will catch ya next time.

4. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

what kinna "other" stuff bob?
    Inquiring minds wanna know

5. seedspreader

Yeah, I would love to, but it's just not possible. I am working on a day camp for next week for kids 7 - 12 and all of my time is going toward that.

6. seedspreader

Hey Max,

I am a youth pastor and my schedule looks crazy right now.

Last week I took a group of 22 to TN for teen camp.
    Been digging a water slide this week for camp next week.
    Camp ALL DAY long next week.
    A weekend "off" the next week.
    Teen Leadership Retreat the next weekend.
    Guys Campout/Girls Sleepover the weekend after that.
    Wedding in MI the next.
    Kick off the Back to School challenge after that.

Oh yeah, and I deliver newspapers at night, every night.

Not complaining, just asking if anyone else runs into these lulls on the homestead.

7. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

:eek:
    Somebody PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one that thought Daisy was talking about a human child the first time they read this.

I knew it couldn't have been unexpected, so I thought she was making light of big news. :eek: :baby04:

8. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I have lulls too, but I also have daily chores. My lulls are...well extra projects. The animals have to be fed daily, but my dad and I are building him an outdoor wood furnace, but we havent worked on it in a month because of other busy things. I havent worked on my maple tubing in a couple weeks because of in town busy things.

9. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

Summer is the least productive time for me around the house outside. The heat and humidity get to me so I spend about an hour outside then come in and cool off. Go back out for a while then back in to cool off.... Then there's the cookouts, reunions and get-togethers on the weekends, every weekend. Things do get done around here just not at the rate that they would any other time of the year.

10. seedspreader

yeah, that's the stuff I am talking about also.

For the most part the kids feed the animals when I am gone, so that's not been bad.

I did have a bout of trouble when we were all gone last week and the person I had feeding the animals called me about all my chickens being gone from the one coop. (I have two coops) I suffered some predator loss because no one was around here like we normally are.

But the various projects just don't get the work they need. My second coop is STILL not painted and the gate is a jerry-rigged setup still. I did get my patio in, but I still haven't sealed it, and let's not EVEN talk about brushhogging right now.

11. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

It seems like things are taking forever to get done due to lots of rain. For example, we haven't been able to build the chicken run because the ground is too wet. We need to fix a road that has washed. And the list goes on but it's too wet to do this stuff.

I had to toss a lot of broccoli (not as much freezing as I'd expected to do) because they got rot from being so wet for so long.

DH and I both work day jobs right now and that "interferes" with our projects a lot because it takes so much of our time. Of course, we're using our earnings to get things started here so the day jobs aren't really a homesteading lull but they sure feel like it.