Homestead Income

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by marcath, Feb 19, 2005.

1. marcath

marcath Active Member

I posted this in the garden area, but thought I would do so here also.

I have been thinking about growing FALL MUMS for re-sale this fall.
    I got the book " GROWING AND MARKETING OF FALL MUMS By Don Langevinand" and thought I might give it a try.

I have about a 1/2 acre of cleared area next to my garden and could fill it with potted fall mums, grow them out and sell them this fall. I think I can get a lot mums in 1 or 2 gallon pots in this area.

I would like to retail them but also I would consider wholesale.

Would ya'll tell me what an average price is in your area for retail and wholesale fall mums might be?

I also want to start with landscape plants (ala Mike Mcgoarty at www.freeplants.com) . But I relaize that it might take few years to get really going.

I thought I would start with FALL MUMS to start to make some money this year.

Anybody want to share typical prices and any other helpful information would be appriciated.

2. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Nancy and I were just in Home Depot: 6" is $6.97 CDN ($5.62 USD); for a 4" (?) pot the price is $2.97 CDN ($2.49 USD). Not exactly sure about the diameter of the pots -- that's about right.

Alex

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

6in pots are 3 for 10 dollors

4. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

you have enoug start up capitol for the expenses, growing medium and pots, mums themselves are cheap , get 3 or 4 now, some rootone and ready to grow more ...
    have you identified a market?
    planning on selling them as value added, for whatever reason , or gonna try to compete with walmarts 2.97 mums in tons of pots at theier door every fall....

just some things i would think through before i went hog wild ....

now this is being said from someone who has never bought a potted mum in her life .... they smell bad , imho.

plan your market before you plan your product.
    thats the biggest weakness is see in homesteading income plans , many people get xx or yy , and then try to find a market for the product, rather than thinking from a business standpoint in identifiing market before we get product ...

emotions and wanting to "make it " are hard things to fight in the homesteading lifestyle
    Beth

5. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Beth's advice is pure gold!! Be sure you aren't selling buggy whips.

For the space you have, try a variety of plants, not just one. Fall is the time to plant perennials, so a supply of them may help.

There is no point in growing something that is produced in high volume much cheaper by others. If growing cutting flowers, stay away from Mums, carnations, roses, etc. You cannot grow them for the price they routinely sell for.

If following Mike McGroarty's Freeplants idea, plan on three years to get up to speed. You'll sell a small amount in the first two years, but will really be going good later. I highly recommend his plan to those who are into plant propagation and nursery production.