Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st, and nothing to do with the title ... why are comms a "sub-forum" of S&EP? I keep forgetting to look at it, hidden as it is under the "sub-forum" link. While comms can and should be something an S&EP'er should have as part of their preps, doesn't it deserve it's own place in the forums?

2nd, I'm really liking everything I'm reading about digital comm equipment in general, and SDR (software defined radio) in specific. Wow ... with absolute ZERO cost, I brought up a KiwiSDR radio in australia, tuned it to something I wanted to explore, and heard/fiddled with it on my computer. That's cool ...

I also purchased my 1st digital ham radio (analog/digital from baofengtech), so getting into all that as well. Also looking into a MMDVM (hotspot, as I understand it) and such ... these things seem to solve the analog issue of distance?

Other threads have mentioned remote comm from where they are out in the middle of nowhere ... while nothing seems to beat analog ham radios in the event of SHTF, I'm thinking that digital is the way to be moving towards, regardless of where you are located. It's almost getting to the point that we can get internet service everywhere (broadband if lucky, cell-based hotspots if not as lucky, and still satellite if extremely unlucky, and so on). Once some form of internet is available to you, then SDR carries you the rest of the way (to the world)?

So who's using SDR in some form or fashion, and what are you doing with it?

·
Super Moderator
9,591 Posts
I though SDR was Simplex Digital radio , but sure I guess it is also software defined radio in that you can software program a phase lock loop PLL radio with software it sounds like you might also be exploring the world of Radio over internet allowing you to listen and talk on Radio nodes around the world , I haven't played with that since about 2004 but 2002-2003 I paled with it some.

why comms ended up under S&EP well that was the crew that was talking ham, cb , and other forms of radio comms 10 years ago when it happened

about the time HT was sold the first time there was a bunch of consolidation I think to reduced the number of moderators and combine some low traffic forums together

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did define SDR at the start, and would be embarrassed if I tossed out an acronym without giving the words for it as well ... but, GCP found yet another definition for it that I wasn't aware of. My bad ...

My definition (and understanding) of SDR was as Software-Defined Radio ... I think it has been in existence since the early 2000's, but I only recently emerged from my cave in this (digital) area of ham stuff.

I'm trying to figure out how to best make use of it (and digital radios in general) in comms, especially out in the middle of nowhere, where I can't always hit a repeater, and am not sure comms will get out or get to the next step. I'm hoping that with internet service in the middle, I can comm (receive and/or transmit) to just about anywhere in the world.

Still digging into it all, but hoping others were way ahead of me, and did find ways to incorporate it into rural homestead communications ...

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went ahead and asked the comm forum position question in the admin forum ... probably the better place for that.

·
Super Moderator
9,591 Posts
how do you like the Beaofang radios I have been thinking about getting a couple to play with

I get frustrated with our lack of cell coverage , we may only be a couple hundred yards apart one person has service the other does not . you just want to ask a simple question or tell them something or get thier attention and you might as well be standing on mars

for the short range stuff a small set of FRS radios works just because I have them and they work but have a very annoying after transmission chirp.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For those desiring to transmit (with a ham license), the baofengs (and their brethren) can't be beat. If you buy from BaoFengTech (an "authorized") dealer, you'll avoid most of the dregs, as there's quite a few knock-offs of the actual Baofeng models. All the ones I get from these folks have the FCC ID clearly marked under the battery, so you know it's certified for that intended use.

Plus, they are dirt cheap, with many nifty option devices that attach to them. Having a field programming panel on the front means there isn't anything you can't do if you take it to a new place ... quickly input a new frequency to any of the 128 channels (I've managed to consume 30 or 40 so far).

Finally, it's all programmable with CHIRP software (free), and that makes it a breeze to:
  • record the original channel programming as an "image", and save
  • get your channel programming done the way you want to do it
  • save that image, and/or quickly clone to other radios, etc.
For those without a ham license, I'd still buy one (or more) just to listen to any frequency in your area. At these prices, put one into every place you are (homestead, vehicle, BOB, etc.)

I'd forgotten about the chirp on FRS radios ... my walkies are sitting in a box, as too many things on this homestead get in the way of these guys talking to each other. Whereas, the latest analog Baofeng, UV-5X3 (tri-band), has even more watts of power, and has cleaned up lots of little issues from many older models (firmware, etc.)

If you look at my article on Software on the Homestead, the chocolatey piece will install chirp for you, and keep it maintained through all its updates!

Hope this helps!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts