homestead cattle questions

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Carol K, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Are you sure that those prices you mentioned were for heifers? Or were they for bull calves. it's rare to find heifer calves at an auction were I live , but your area may be differant. Somehow i can't see you finding a heifer calf for that sort of money, so be careful at the auction.

Carol K

2. myersfarm

myersfarm Dariy Calf Raiser

i am in southern missouri.....wish i could buy couple dozen jerseys heifers for $75..btw which sale barn are you going to that has them for sale just some of the time plze

3. furholler

furholler Cedar Cove Farm Supporter

Remember this was a mixed breed calf. I know of two off hand, one was a bull jersey cross breed(not sure of what it was crossed with) and the other was a dairy angus mix heifer. Both are bottle calves. The bull was had for $75 and the Heifer was had for $150.

4. furholler

Perhaps I need to clarify. I may be interested in a dexter/jersey cross. Is there such an animal? I just want some milk and meat without the purebred stuff. I don't want culls but I also can't afford the rare breed prices.

5. genebo

genebo Well-Known Member Supporter

Furholler,

I just helped a lady sell her Dexter/Jersey heifer. It was 8 months old and sold for $300.

I sold a beautiful 5 month old Dexter/Jersey heifer that was gentled, ready for a halter, for $500. Her outstanding looks and the training was what made her cost more.

I don't have any more Dexter/Jersey calves and don't know where to find any right now.

Genebo
    Paradise Farm

6. furholler

That is more my price range. Now I know that it is possible. Are they good as dual purpose?

7. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

I also was interested in dexters until I came across the prices. You would think they would be cheaper than jerseys or holsteins because they are smaller and therefore give less milk. Also, when I was looking for dexters I thought I read somewhere that they can weigh 900-1000 lbs which is not all that small and you get less milk. Now I'm about to buy a guernsey and am very impressed with this breed and they aren't all that big. They also look like they might be good for beef too. http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/

8. spring77

spring77 Well-Known Member

Last few times I've been to the sale barn here in NE PA the holstein heifers were going for around $500, Holstien bull calves and beef cross bull calves were going $1 -$1.50 a lb. The Jersey heifer calves weren't numerous but you'd probably see 7 or 8 a night and they were going for about $60 on average. Jersey bull calves were going for about the same.

9. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Furholler,
    google Belmont Cattle and try Belfair Cattle, that's what the cross Dexter/Jersey is called by some people. Maybe you can get some leads from that. Good luck in your search,

Carol K

10. genebo

genebo Well-Known Member Supporter

Furholler,

A Dexter/Jersey cross would always make beef. Both Dexters and Jerseys are used for beef. How much beef you'd get would depend upon the lineage of the Dexter. Some Dexters have been selectively bred for beefiness. A cross with one of those would produce great beef.

Some Dexters have been bred for milkiness. A cross between one of them and a Jersey should produce more milk than the other cross.

I know that the Belfair is the same thing, but when they start calling them by a breed name, the price goes up.

The lady that bred the calves I mentioned earlier kept a Dexter bull in with a mixed herd. She kept the Dexter bull because it was small, it was gentle, it was easy to handle and she wasn't afraid of it. The same can't be said of a Jersey bull.

Genebo
    Paradise Farm

11. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

Not to "dis" Dexters, but they're just not as common as other breeds, and you may have a time of it finding an affordable cross. If your heart is set, then by all means exhaust every avenue to find one! Another idea to consider, though, is a standard dairy/beef cross heifer. I milked a jersey/angus cross for about 7 years, and just loved her. We always bred her back to an angus bull, and you couldn't tell that her calves had any jersey in them at all. Incredible beef! "Annie" was short and stocky, smart as a whip but docile when it counted. All our visiting friends and relatives wanted to take turns trying to milk, and she tolerated it with grace.

Susan

12. furholler

This is great folks! Keep it coming. Another thing I did like about Dexters is their hardiness. Can someone fill me in on the hardiness of jerseys?

13. furholler

Thanks. I will explore this and the above suggestion tonight. The question will more than likely be, availability of these breeds. That seems to jack up prices also. :D

14. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

Furholler,

Missouri is like the leader in Dexter cattle. I had some at one time and in another life would be more than willing to have another go with them. If you like the Dexter, I would stick with that. Knowing the price might be a bit higher than some others, or going with a mixed breed. However, you got to breed the thing in order to get the milk, right? so why not breed back to a purebred and then YOU could sell off that calf at purebred prices.

A friend once told me, "The difference between a $10,000 horse and a Nag, is that when you breed to a $10,000 horse, you get your money back!"

--a very good point to make.

If you think all of the Dexter breeders that you have talked to are too $$$, then I suggest you keep calling others. As I said, Missouri has the highest rate of breeders in the country! There was a guy somewhere near Troy, Missouri that I would think is reasonable. I forgot his name, but he was nice to me.

And, make sure you point out you're wanting to milk them.

For me though, I think this go round I'm looking for a Jersey.

15. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Paula on here has a jersey/dexter cross ready to calve for $500 and she is south of Nashville,TN Didn't know how far you were from there but she looks cute! She also has a little heifer same cross for $300 I think. Hope that helps!

16. yarrow

yarrow Ages Ago Acres Nubians Supporter

And her name is now BETTY LOL... I just fell in love with her, can't wait to get her here (and to see what she has, hoping for a little heifer- of course) Excited to see what her milk production is like. Furholler, I'd be happy to let you know how much she's milking if you'd like. Bear in mind, that this will just be her first calf.
    susie
    MO. Ozarks