Homestead act repealed?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sashay, Aug 6, 2006.

1. sashay

sashay Well-Known Member

Have any of y'all seen those ads for getting land from the government...you know I think the old homestead laws have been repealed (but I could be wrong...lord knows I have been wrong lots lately)...the ads are to sell a book (OF COURSE) to tell the reader how to get up to 300 acres of government owned land for X dollars per acre. No swamps, no dumps, etc etc according to the ad for the book and it is "unconditionally guaranteed."

Does anyone know anything about this program? Is it legit...and do we need to buy a book to get the information? Three hundred acres would be the absolute guaranteed cure to bad neighbors...right?

Thanks in advance for any information anyone has.

samantha

2. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

Its a rip off there are no current homesteading acts of any kind that will enable anyone to get land from the goverment for free or little cost. If it sounds to good to be true IT PROBABLY IS NOT TRUE. There are no free lunches.

3. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

I challange you to prove your statement it is very broad!
    There is free land and there is cheap land but not homesteading in the old 160 acres and farning style.
    I think most of the deals that sashay is seeing are under the mining laws yes there is the little problem of finding something worth mining but oh well.

And yes there is a free lunch! theres a strip club out behind ORD that offers free lunch from time to time!

4. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

President Gerald Ford signed the Repeal of the Homestead Act back in 1976. Hasn't been any homesteading since, other than in peoples imagination and Hollywood westerns.

5. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    There are some towns in the midwest whose economies are so poor that people have left, abandoning properties. Those places have some land that they are 'homesteading' in the sense that if you can make use of it within certain guidelines of what the town wants, after 5 years you get to keep it. Most of it is city business lots or small, older houses in town. If you saw Roger Moore's movie about the Bush ties to Saudi Arabia, where he's showing his home town and the blocks of houses that have been abandoned after the GM plant closed, that is the kind of places that are doing these things.

I heard about these programs on NPR last fall, I think. I remember calling a friend who was interested in 'chucking it all' and moving to the midwest to farm, though I kinda think they don't have a realistic vision of all the work involved.

6. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

The ads don't refer to the homesteading laws at all. They are in reference to mining claim laws that haven't been repealed. Through a Patent claim a person can get full deed to property if the government grants it. The government hasn't granted a patent claim since the mid 70's though.

7. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

Point is there is no federal program that gives away Goverment land and has not been in over 35 years even mining claims and the mining claims were just that mining claims.
    Its a scam selling books to the people that want to have their own land.
    True some places have property they want people to take and if they fix it up and live in it for a certain time they get a deed and own it.
    Problem is the property is worth little, no jobs, not a place most would live, untill there is reason people want to live there they will never have much value.
    If you want to have your homestead what ever that means to you, save up a downpayment and get out and buy it.
    Twenty five years ago after a divorce, I started doing odd jobs, in addition to my full time job that went to support two children one in high school and one starting college and saved the odd job money. Then bought rental property fixed it up rented it out finally found my farm 35 acres, then bought five more acres, then 48 more then 17 then 15 more we now have 120 acres. Remodeled the old house completely redone a shop for crafts and repairs, built a 40x40 barn, then a 1600 sq ft studio for the wife, a couple of wood sheds, put in a couple of ponds and now we have our little kingdom, Twenty five years every spare penny we could scrape up, working 12 hours a day seven days, not been to a movie in 12 years, seldom eat out, no vacations but we have our homestead.
    Every one can that is willing to work that hard and long. Yesterday it was 101 and with the heat index 108. I'm 65 and cut and hauled cedar logs, finished concrete me and the wife poured Saturday , got a 33 lb snapping turtle out of one pond. cut up and hauled a peach tree that blew down Friday to the burn pile. That was Sunday and we take it easy on Sunday.
    I wish there was homestead land free for the asking but there isn't. Dreams take work, and money the amount depends on where you are andthe price of land in your area. If you buy the cheapest land in your area in my exsperence you will have the worst land in the area, there are bargins but few and far between. David

8. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

I take exception with your statement! You still havent proved what you say. I take it you are one of those people who makes a statement then "proves" it by repeating the same thing till everyone is tired of the argument
    Are you trying to say I cant get a mining claim?
    Are you going to change the question to fit your anser? I dont remeber Sashay saying anything about the federal government or free land.

HAS anyone here read the book SASHAY refers too?
    If so could you give us a bit of insight as to what it says and how you percive its worth?

9. caryatid

caryatid Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this is the same deal, but there was a similar offer in the back of Mother Earth News or Organic Gardening. A few years ago I sent off a check for $10 and got a booklet. I'd say about 20 pages or so. There were many hoops to jump through, and you never actually *owned* the land. It was basicly a low cost lease, but the land still belonged to the government.

There were also several restrictions on what you were allowed to do. For example, no permanent structures, you had to submit a request to do any major changes, you had to do $100 worth of improvements on the land a year....

There were 3 different types, one was for logging, one was for mineral rights and I can't remember the third. (This was a few years ago).

As for the worth of the book itself. Well, the information can be found for free, but you have to Search for it, and know where to look. If you have the $10 to spend, I'd say it is worth looking at, if only so you can examine the fine print more closely than I did.

We considered getting a plot for recreational (and religious) purposes and sharing access with family and friends.

10. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

If it's mining claims the book is talking about, you don't have to spend ten dollars to get that information -- it's available for free on-line, or at Forest Service and BLM offices. If they don't have it (FS might not), they can at least tell you where to get it.

Kathleen

11. Sgt.Sausage

Sgt.Sausage Well-Known Member

==>I take exception with your statement! You still havent proved what you say.

According to the laws of logic -- it's *you* who must prove what you say.

Someone says there's a SantaClause (free land). I say there's not. How do I prove that there's no SantaClause? It can't be done. You, however, can easily prove the existence of SantaClause by simply showing him to me.

Show me the law that grants you the land, and I'll believe you.

Until then, this mythical FreeLand (much like the aforementioned SantaClause) is assumed to *not* exist.

12. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

Thanks for the support and good resonable answer. People like to belive they can get something for nothing not realizing for the most part if they do its really worth nothing. Just my opinion. As for getting a mining claim the law is still on the books but they have not issued one in years and its just a mining claim, you can not build or live on it. You don't own it you can only use it for the designated purpose you obtained it. This is just my experence and therre fore my opinion, its just offered for information and not something to argue over.
    If you want to belive in free land fine, Easter bunnys fine everyone needs dreams and fantacy, Heck I still belive in Santa

13. macfie7

macfie7 Well-Known Member

My niece is in North Dakota and mentioned a free land program up there, because of de-population. I found this on Kansas.

http://www.kansasfreeland.com/

14. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

sometimes you get what you pay for :shrug:

15. Southernman

Southernman Well-Known Member

There's NO Santa??? Where'd my toys come from last year????

16. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Ah, but you will pay for it in other ways...

Are you from around here, or just familiar with the airport?

Uh... and ... there's no homesteading around ORD. Unless your last name is Daley and your first name is Richie. ;)

Pony!

17. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

That stuff is a small city lot you have to build a new house on with all kinds of restrictions, the only place there may still be homesteading is Brazil and only if your from there.

18. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

even if then supposed president Ford signed a reapeal of a homestead act, any prudent person would know that the homestead act of 1811 is still in force and effect, if for no other reasoing that there has been no LAWFULLY seated president since Woodrow Wilson in his first term, nor has there been a lawful or consitutional seated congress, do your research. the Corporation of the united states surplanted the united States circa 1871, but sat in congruancy until wilsons second term, after the implantation of the Rockefellar owned non-federal Federal Reserve corporation, which became holder of the debt of the corporate United States [not to be confused with the united states of the several states in common, nor the land mass as defined in the SCOTUS decision HOOVEN & ALLISON CO. v. EVATT, TAX COMMISSIONER OF OHIO 324 U.S. 652 in 1945 which although overturned on other grounds still stands for defining the different united states in any given court situation] anyhow since Ford wasnt a Lawful President he could not sign any repeal of any act older then Woodrow Wilson, ergo the old acts are still in force and effect if you dig deep enough, and hard enough, however the book you want to purchase wont be that deep book....

And of course through the mining act of 1872 you can still prove up a claim, and pay about $2 per acre, after spending about 7 years and untold dollars in research and lawyer fees, which corelates to around $15,000 per acre in the end, so the ground should be mineral rich to start.... as for patented ground mininng claims the BLM did away with ofering the paperwork in 1955, that does not mean such doesnt exist, just makes it harder to understand if you dont dig under the corporate rug of confusion and know that there are 2 governements that look like one and the same.

blu3duk the free radical, native born idahoan

William
    central idaho republic

19. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

I should have also set forth in my response that in accordance with the Original homestead act of 1811, and the reason for it still being upon the books, such is the only way set up for transfer of property rights from one entity to another without returning that property to the original land holder the land office of the united states government, who in turn took it away from the king of england and purchased from frnace and russia and mexico and well you know the history of how the north american continent was cut up...... and acquired. Research is the key to understanding, and once you figure something out dig deeper, and farther back in history cause in accordance with the Articles of confederation the united states of North America is older than the united states of america, and the first united states had several presidents before George Washington... and treaty of Delaware 1778 is the reason for the second united states coming into being in 1787-1791 [adoption of the constition and bill of rights] and then of course the rest is history right? just as displayed in the approved manuscripts from the GEC a rockefeller corporation turn government department call department of education turned.....

deception is what the sheep know and really most dont care to pull their head out of the samd they buried it in long ago....

blu3duk

20. arcticpixie

arcticpixie Member

Free? No. Low cost? Yes. Government sponsored? Yes. Called “homesteading”? No. It all depends on what you call it around your kitchen table. The Fed isn’t going to call it that though. They are going to use words like “Land Disposal”. For example: the State of Alaska BLM has the following programs http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/mlw/landsale/

You would have to read up on all the ins and outs. Different land sales have different requirements. For example, the remote cabin one disallows permanent residence during the 3 year lease period, but once you enter into a contract to purchase you may do what you like. They don’t define what permanent means either. Nor do I doubt anyone would check on you to make sure you weren’t living there 24/7/365.

Could you get the info for free? Yes. It requires exchanging your time for the info instead of $$ that’s all. So you either exchange your time for $$ to pay for it or exchange your time to find it directly. Chances are you are a better researcher than those that put that pamphlet together though, otherwise they wouldn’t call it “homesteading”.

As for Santa Clause, I’ve been to his house! Nice guy. He had a motorcycle accident a year back and isn’t feeling very well but he still loves the kids. Yes. I’m serious. His drivers license even says so! http://www.santaclaushouse.com/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Pole,_Alaska

So there :p ;)

ETA: I forgot a link http://www.baltimoresun.com/travel/bal-tr.alaska30,0,2087757.story?coll=bal-artslife-travel