Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kids left for college yesterday....my son his 3rd year, and not excited to go back...but he went knowing the end is in sight...and so is a good paying job.

My DD freshman year....she wasnt there 2 hrs and she called crying "I can't do this".....told her to buck up and stay busy....but still getting text msgs and facebook msgs to the same tune....:hair

She is only 45mins away by car...

I told her it will get better but she NEEDS to work thru it....and told her she can talk to me about being really scared when she gives birth to her first baby...

Kids are wonderful little beasties and they are supposed to grow up and WANT to leave the nest......UGH!

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I had a hard time w/this. Now, it's a dif story. They're independent and no longer need me to survive. When I got older, I needed them to be independent, so my energy could be used in taking care of myself.

·
Premium Member
6,011 Posts
I remember when oldest dd went off to college. My dd never was homesick and resented like anything having to move back home after her first year and attend the local community college. I had a harder time letting her go than she did leaving! Her roommate, however, was calling home crying regularly.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Mpillow - We just left daughter #2 at college a week or so ago, so I understand how you feel. You want them to grow up and be self sufficient (OUR kind of self sufficient), but it's hard to know they're afraid or homesick or unsure of their future plans. I'm not entirely convinced that getting a degree will help them in the long run, but we want to give them all the advantages we can. Both of them have fully stocked get-home bags and quite a bit of survival training, but I still worry about not being right there to protect them from the world.

We have two more at home so we won't have an empty nest for years. Part of me hates the thought of the parenting years being over, and part of me looks forward to the freedom to get more into homesteading and just being a couple again.

·
Premium Member
5,752 Posts
My first year, I was bad homesick, came home every weekend and hated ot go back. Second year, came home every weekend, didn't mind going back.
Years 3, 4, 5, liked going, came back every weekend during cotton picking and planting seasons and holidays. year 6, got schedule where I left Monday night to go back and came home on Thursdays, every week, to help out on the place.

40 years later, living on the same spot I grew up on, lost the original house to fire, but the view down the driveway is the same, and it still looks better to me coming up the drive.

Ed

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
I just sent my son of to Massachusetts, so he won't even be able to come home on the weekends! He is adjusting well & having a great time. Classes start tomorrow. We worked hard to prepare him for this & I have no worries about him being able to care for himself. He did say he missed my cooking though. :D It is hard to see them grow up & leave. I miss the childhood years, but we are determined to make sure they can make it on their own & not have to depend on us. So far, so good! Our oldest daughter is out on her own & going to school also. She has an apartment in town. She is also blind, so it was really hard to see her out on her own. She does wonderful though & has had no problems so far that she hasn't been able to handle. She moved out 3 years ago.

M

·
0 Posts
My son is a Marine whom just left to fly back to his (training school) base in Missouri (it was a surprise visit--he and his father had this planned for weeks but no one knew except those two) this am..my son text his dad (also a Marine in the early 90's) to say he was home sick..I feel for my son! I'm feeling a loss without his presence but it is all a part of growing up..

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow Wendy....your DD is Awesome!
Hope your son does well in Mass.

My BIL 's youngest brother and his family live close by and were able to go get her for dinner last night and give her a chance to regroup...the wife/mother has the patience of JOB and got her out of panic mode.
She was on the phone with me and texting dad at 730 am....but she did go to 2 classes and now at a project meeting....
We lead a quiet life...the noise and sheer number of people is overwhelming her....but she'll make it...
I'm a little concerned for her nerves but I love her enough to MAKE her stay and manage....its time to grow up.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Our daughter had a lot of homesickness until she stopped coming home on the weekends and learned to connect with her roommate and the environment. We purposely said stay there for a few weeks and explore. Once she started feeling a part of her environment we saw her less and less. Hard on us old folks but the path to the road to independence. Our kids are in their thirties and very self-sufficient. If/when something happens to us I know they'll do fine. But, I still pray a lot...

Our son got homesick too but going through the carwash(no car :rolleyes:) with a group of college girls helped counter his sadness.... :bouncy: There were other stories that we'll just leave to the imagination... :hohum:

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL my son went to a mostly boys school and THAT was his only disappointment...

She is "doing much better". She went swimming with a boy she went to HS with last night,had dinner @ mess hall with roommate, made a new friend on her dorm floor, and got a job today...Praise God! I'm so grateful and happy for both of us!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
We dropped our oldest off at college two weeks ago. She knew she'd be back home last weekend and this weekend for weddings so it wasn't like it was forever. DH had a hard time with it. I thought "she's been to camp for longer than this". I was excited to see her go. It was something I wanted to do but for various reasons, could not. She's the type that was ready to go and she really likes it. She is only 1 hour from home so that is comforting. Her bestie from HS had a pretty hard time going (also 1 hour from home) . It would be really hard to leave a crying kid at her new apartment! Congrats on sticking it out.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Should I add that we dropped her off on Thursday and by Saturday she'd been to a frat party....She says they left early because it was LAME! LOL! I think her quote was "It wasn't all you'd think it would be!"

·
Super Moderator
9,436 Posts
when i moved away to college I was 17 , I want to a non traditional school and had my truck and could go for drives

I didn't so much need to go home , just get out of the city

when you grow up your hole life surrounded by corn and trees , a drive in the corn can help , I didn't have to go far to find it.

I understand what your daughter is talking about , all the people , sounds , lights , imagine your ADD and had to take all that in and process it , it gets tiring
a county highway with corn on both sides as far as you can see there was I suppose less to process just the road ahead , it was calming.

I went home most weekends , as i could make good money working my old job on Sundays , my new job part time Monday through Saturday till i found a better part time job after 6 months with no saturday hours and full time school with no summer break

when i met my wife my 3rd year and stopped coming home every weekend my parents knew something was up and decided to come visit.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
The circle of life......the older I get the more strength I get from seeing it in action. It's a new crop of kids' turn to take that next step.

It's hard to have them leave the nest. Mine rarely even called home they were having so much fun. They were also states away and knew they wouldn't be coming home until Christmas. You'd think they could have FAKED homesickness just for good old mom! We solved their not calling by calling at 6 am. Funny, they were always available then.

Wishing the best for all - college students and their parents at this time of year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts