homemade whey recipe ??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ann Mary, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

The Maker's Diet book calls for homemade whey in many of it's recipes. Does anyone know how to make this??? I'm trying to decide if this is something I want to try or not...cooking they way Jordan Rubin explains in his book. Anyone with any feedback on his books or way of eating?? Thank you!

2. tatanka

tatanka Well-Known Member

Whey is the liquid remains or run off left over from making cheese. Our whole family is going to start the Maker's Diet on 1/3/05. I really don't think you can buy whey in a liquid form but I believe that you can buy powdered whey. I don't have my book handy but if you look in the resources section of the book I believe it gives a source for it. We have dairy goats so we will be making our own whey from the milk. Good Luck!

Marla

3. miclew

miclew Well-Known Member

The easiest way to make whey at home is make yogurt cheese. Take a quart of plain yogurt (with live cultures and no additives, either homemade or Dannon) and put it in a yogurt cheese strainer over a glass or in a couple of layers of cheesecloth in a colander and then over a bowl. Park it in the frig overnight. You can get more if you put a weight on top like a small plate with a can of green beans on it. The liquid you get in the bowl will be 100% all natural whey :)

You can use the yogurt cheese anyway you would use cream cheese. You can cook/bake with it or turn it into a spread.

michele

4. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I've gotten whey from cultured buttermilk as well. It's made the same way that yoghurt cheese is made, except that you need to let the buttermilk sit out in a warm area until it is well clotted. The end results are very similar to yoghurt cheese, except that cultured buttermilk is considerably easier to make.

5. miclew

miclew Well-Known Member

Milk -----> yogurt/whey

Buttermilk ------> quark/whey!

Quark is a very popular thing in Germany. You make it in very much the same way yogurt but you start with buttermilk instead of milk. Good stuff!

michele

6. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

an extremely simple cheese recipe is to heat one gallon of goat milk to 185 degrees, add 1/4 c. vinegar and stir well remove from heat, and, voila, you have about 1/2 lb of cheese and 1/2+ gal of whey. plenty for soaking and cooking.

good luck

7. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

Make Mozzarella. Whey is whats leftover.