Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Green Woman
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't care what ANYONE says. THIS is clever, usable, and reasonable.

I have wanted a storm/root cellar for 14 years. I had the hole dug and then didn't know how to "finish" it with little expense.

Here it is, my clever bretheren.

ALL of us "USA" folks are ******** or we wouldn't BE here!

I love clever folks...

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Large enough for visitors. Wonder if the hole holds water during the storm, but with enough cause I could get my ankle wet to keep from blowing away..

Angie

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
45,457 Posts
AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

There's a detective novel about school children who were kidnapped and held in a buried bus.

Major case of heebie jeebies here!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Nice. But it doesn't work so well if the FBI HRT is conducting a "this is not an assault" assault.

6,651 Posts
Mr. Dot said:
Nice. But it doesn't work so well if the FBI HRT is conducting a "this is not an assault" assault.
pour some reinforced concrete over it to hide it, call it a parking spot, and tunnell to it from the house.

·
Green Woman
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agreed. (o:

BUT I live on a slab house in West Central Indiana. I NEED a storm shelter....

NOW I'm gonna have to find a large panel van or so because my area has filled in a bit... Or rent a back hoe to dig it out

*brightly*

HEY! That could be fun!

*running to the rental center*

Let the ******* Games begin!

I could make a BUFFER ZONE in front of my house to keep the townies off me!!! A 6' or better dirt hill!!!

*muttering*

·
Five of Seven
3,295 Posts
I'd wonder about lightning striking somewhere nearby and the metal frame of that thing. :shrug:
I dug a hole in my yard and planted a 1500-gallon plastic water tank for my storm shelter. :baby04:
BTW, you wouldn't want your generator underground or even too close to the shelter. It would kind of defeat the purpose of having a shelter if everybody in it died from carbon monoxide poisoning. :nono:

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
Brilliant idea Pancho - just need a couple of snorkles for the air intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Mr Dot, I got it but I don't think others did.

I happened to be remembering the same thing at the time you posted that.

Very sad indeed!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I think it's a great idea! I would however be concerned about the water issue as well. Perhaps make some kind of footing down in the hole to set the bus or panel van on to keep it up off the ground? Or could the hole be lined with some kind of water barrier material? Also, I think it would be good to have cement or something over the top of it to keep it from heating up when the sun beats down on the bus roof. But it's a good idea, I think. Lots of room.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Gailann Schrader said:
I don't care what ANYONE says. THIS is clever, usable, and reasonable.

I have wanted a storm/root cellar for 14 years. I had the hole dug and then didn't know how to "finish" it with little expense.

Here it is, my clever bretheren.

ALL of us "USA" folks are ******** or we wouldn't BE here!

I love clever folks...
Ya got me look'n for a used bus

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
I've actually seen a couple of these in NE Alabama, one between Rome and Centre. I bet it works pretty well for a few years, until the metal starts to rust/fatigue.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
It is a shame that I can't get a good pic of a storm shelter built near me. It is a van that is covered on three sides right behind the peoples house. They live on a slight incline, so it worked good for them.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Ramblin Wreck said:
I've actually seen a couple of these in NE Alabama, one between Rome and Centre. I bet it works pretty well for a few years, until the metal starts to rust/fatigue.
I'm with you on that, might be great in the arid west, but back east where it rains on a regular (in normal years) basis think of the mess you'll have when it rusts out. I remember earlier this summer the car they disintered in Oklahoma (?), the one the they buried for their centenial celebration or some such. It was in a concrete vault and was a rusty mess when they got it out. I'd hate to be the one having to dig a rusty bus carcass out of the ground when it came time. Now, if you could come up with an old stainless steel tanker you might be on to something.

how about an old aluminumimimiminumimum aircraft fuselage? Big jumbo jet size monster, double deck with lavatories, wet bar, and full reclining seats? Yea, baby, Farm Force 1.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.