Homemade Shotgun/Pistol Targets

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mtnmanlou, Nov 9, 2005.

1. mtnmanlou

mtnmanlou Member

I am taking the family shooting in the desert in two weeks and would like to make some targets. Normally, I shoot at the range and all of this is provided. But I this time we will be shooting on BLM land whereever we decide to park the car. What would you recommend for:

Shotgun:

Revolver:

BB Gun:

I am looking for cheap to make, easy to use, safe and fun!!

Love to hear your thoughts

2. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Beer/pop cans
    AOL disc's, scratched cd's that don't work (hang them with fishing line from a arched stick you can stick in the ground)
    Little green army men
    pumpkins!
    paper plates with a target drawn on

3. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

Beer cans for all three, in the air or on the ground. Throw a full one (only one) for the shotgun shooter.

4. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

rifle: anything reactive.

see if you can get your hands on some steel plates, drill a hole and attach some cable wire, then when you pull over by the road get 3 sticks, arrange in a tripod and secure with remaining wire letting the target hang down between, this way when you are 100+ yards from the target you will see it react violently when it gets hit and hear the report. also soda cans are nice.

shotguns, whatever you use unless it is also steel (wouldnt recommend it tho due to how close you'll be) will be destroyed, so, whetever.

pistols: get some cardboard and 2 6' pieces of cheap wood, whatever is in the bin at home depot, staple the cardboard to the sticks, and draw a human bust profile with a marker on the cardboard, shoot it from about 5-25 yards.

5. OneWheelBiting

OneWheelBiting Redneck Hippy

I am a big targets shooter and prefer paper but I am shooting for the best group most of the time. We do have a mini practical pistol course built at a farm we own mainly cause my dad is a firearms instructor. I like to run and gun too. The best targets for that is balloons taped to the cardboard targets. If I am shooting 300 yards or more out I like to fill and cap gallon jugs with jello to the top about 2-3 days before and allow to chill. These make great exploding targets and you get a color spray to verify a round on target.

Later,
    Keith

6. Oregonsparkie

Oregonsparkie Well-Known Member

I personally like filling my balloons with water, it makes it alittle more exciting.

7. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

or, start with the shotgun, then move to the rifle and shoot the shotgun shells.

8. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

golf balls... they grow wild on the woody edges of golf courses.

easy pickings.

golf balls make great semi resueable targets.

9. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

http://www.tannerite.com/

You will never look at target shooting the same after using this stuff. If you are going to do it, you might as well go big!

Wayne

10. We like to fill pop cans and plastic bottles with water and watch them explode when hit. Also we would tie a pop can on a fishing line pole and cast it out there aways. Shoot at it while someone reels it in. You have to have a stop shooting point so as to not shoot the fisherman. We mostly do this with bow and arrows.

Try standing clay skeets up on their ends in the sand and shoot at them. Make a wooden backstop and stick a axe into it in the very center. Place a skeet on each side of the axe head. Should look something like this, OlO . See if you can hit the axe head and split the bullet so that it will break both skeets.

Whatever you end up using, please pick up all your litter before leaving.

11. BlueRidge

BlueRidge Well-Known Member

And when you're done shooting up all that stuff....

CLEAN UP YOUR MESS!

Or stick with targets that don't require much cleanup. Steel plates as mentioned (watch for backsplash!), paper targets, but no crackers in the desert. They'll never break down. If an area that gets rain, crackers or even hard candies are good.

Since you have a computer, print out some fun targets. I'm sure you can find some pictures that would be appropriate.

I don't have any suggestions, though...

12. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

you could shoot the bottle out of his hand if you photoshop one on.

13. OneWheelBiting

OneWheelBiting Redneck Hippy

Yeah,

I locked myself out of a farm I bought a few years back thought I would shoot a padlock off with a 9mm pistol damn ripped my jeans off. Lesson learned always use a rifle for this and stay back 10 ft or so.

Later
    Keith

14. jeffreyc256

jeffreyc256 Well-Known Member

For targets you dont have to clean up try ritz or saltine crackers. If you want something darker try splitting oreos in half, they make great bullseyes.

Kids love the baloons. drink bottles filled with colored water but you have to clean up.

15. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

If you want some paper targets you can just print out on your computer Remington has some nice ones and best of all they are free:

http://www.remington.com/library/downloads/paper_targets.asp

If you want to buy something I love those metal targets you can get from cabelas and other places. They leave no mess and they're a lot of fun.

Something like these:
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...gets&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jsp

and

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...rch-box.jsp.22&returnPage=search-results1.jsp

You can also pick up a case or two of clay targets and use homemade target stands or these work really well.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...rch-box.jsp.22&returnPage=search-results1.jsp

Do clean up any mess you make. Leaving a bunch of shot up trash makes all shooters look bad and just gives the feds a reason to close land to shooting of any kind.

16. punkrockpilot

punkrockpilot Well-Known Member

17. bretthunting

bretthunting Well-Known Member

all kinds of fruits and veggies,(to old for human consumtion of course) and bio degradable, so no cleanup.should be lots of old pumpkins around this time of year.

18. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

19. wvstriper

wvstriper Member

I get old bowling pins from my local alley. They normally last me a long time.

20. thebeav

thebeav Well-Known Member

4x4 sheet of plywood, Bag of baloons. & a staple gun.
    This works great for anything but a shotgun.