Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our dairy cow finally gave birth and I will have all the milk I want. What we buy mostly is cheese for sandwhiches. I want to make my own cheese but know that american cheese is really a cheese food, made from a blend of cheese. So, is there a recipe out there for cheese that can be shapped in a loaf and cut and used on sandwhiches? Reciep Please!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Why not make cheddar and slice it thin for sandwiches? I buy a brick of cheddar and we slice some for sandwiches and shred some for other uses and then cube for snacking.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
i make sandwich fixin's from soft cheeses, either chevre or ricotta cheese. After the cheese is made, buzz in the food processor with a variety of ingredients; pesto, garlic, packaged seasoning mixes (i buy mine from Penzeys) or home made onion relish. thin with yogurt to desired consistency.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
American cheese used to be real cheese. Now, it has polymers in it (plastic).

Yea, I think a cheddar cheese would work for you. When you buy the rennet tablets, it comes with several recipes. Right now I'm brewing cheese that is milk (raw, like yours) left out on the kitchen counter. It will curdle on it's own (faster if you add lemon or lime juice) and make a mild soft cheese, spreadable. You might want to try making this simple cheese first just to see if you like it. You can also make cheese from kefir milk. Take the grains out, pour your kefir milk into the bowl with the gallon of raw milk, and you will get a tangier cheese than if you did it without the kefir.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
When I had raw cow's milk, I made cheddar cheese that is quite good. I made ricotta from the whey left over from making the cheddar.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ladies. I have a cheesemaking book that has several cheddars in it, just didn't have American cheese. I'll try doing a mild cheddar and molding it as a square so we can slice it and add it to cold cuts.

·
Registered
465 Posts
American cheese is a processed cheese made mainly from Colby and Cheddar. My guess is that it was developed in order to utilize all the cheese scraps that the dairy would have to dispose of otherwise. At the least you need to add emulsifiers in order to prevent fat separating from the rest if you tried making it yourself. Manufactured cheese also has preservatives, coloring and other stabilizing ingredients in order to extent the shelf life. European variety is made softer so it can be used as a spread - it's mostly available as a "Happy Cow" brand in the US.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts