Homemade recipe for Clean Shower Spray

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by YuccaFlatsRanch, Aug 10, 2004.

1. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Found 2 recipes for homemade clean shower spray:

2 TBSP liquid jet dry to a gallon of distilled water

or

4 ounces lysol
    16 ounces isopropyl rubbing alcohol
    44 ounces of distilled water

2. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Have you tried them? Just wondered if they actually work, I hate cleaning glass shower doors, but nothing I've made up seems to work like the stuff from the store, so I got excited when I saw your post!!

Carol K

3. RAC

RAC Guest

Whatever the very first product ("Clean Shower"?) was, it worked pretty well, but that very first product is apparently no longer available. I may try the first recipe, as I received some Jet Dry as a sample with a dishwasher, and didn't want to use it in the dishwasher when I saw the price of it--vinegar is a lot cheaper if you want a rinse aid.... Although the key is to actually spray right after a shower, and unless you are always the last person in the shower, people either forget, or just won't, so it doesn't get done on a regular basis. The other thing to think of is how much time it takes you to spray the entire shower every day, versus cleaning the shower every week (counting "active" time of spraying, scrubbing, and rinsing, but not wait time). It may actually take you longer to spray than total cleaning!

I think the easiest way to keep the shower cleaner longer is to not use bar soap, but most guys just will NOT use squirt soap/body shampoo (actually a mild detergent, these days) for some reason.

I have seen recipes that also say take your favorite all-purpose cleaner and dilute it half and half with isopropyl alcohol.

Another option is to install one of those spring-type shower rods inside your shower door, and hang up a plastic shower curtain--keeps the glass doors much cleaner. I leave all the rings on, but put that end of it in a pillowcase, rubberband it shut, then wash it in hot water with the towels.

4. Gayle in LA

Gayle in LA Well-Known Member

Heck, doesn't straight white vinegar do the job?

5. YuccaFlatsRanch

Problem I can see with using vinegar is that it is an acid and may attack your grout in tile.

What I think you want is a surfactant (something that breaks down the suraface tension of the water droplets) and allows the water to run off your walls. That is what the jet dry does.

The other recipe with the alcohol in it and the lysol may be better at disinfecting. Maybe I'll play kitchen chemist and mix both recipes together - may go boom.

6. YuccaFlatsRanch

Did a search on surfactants and as I figured the isopropyl alcohol acts as the surfactant and will allow the lysol to clean the walls easily. I am going to try both mixtures - separately.

7. Jane in southwest WI

Jane in southwest WI Well-Known Member

I got this recipe here a while ago.

1 part water
    1 part white vinegar
    1 part isopropyl alcohol
    couple drops of dish soap

Mix in a spray bottle

I spray the walls after I shower, then squeegee.

We use bar soap, and I find that this recipe does not prevent the buildup of soap film but does prevent mildew on caulk. I still give the shower a scrubbing once a month with a mild vegetable-based liquid detergent concentrate and baking soda.