Homemade Percussion Driving Point for Water Well

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SouthernThunder, Jan 18, 2005.

1. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Well-Known Member

What have you used to make a good driving point for a percussion driven well? I'm guessing it should be mild steel for durability? I have a few metal working tools so I can do some creative fabrication.

BTW, there is no granite here... I think the worse I'm looking at is a lot of sand stone.

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.....................I wa sitting here thinking about your statement of "metal fabrication" and the thought occured to me that .....there is alot of old 3 and 4 inch drill stem available that could be used to drill a water well . The other idea that occured to me was to take an old axle out of a truck . Then , turn it up on edge and attach a long drive shaft from a small gasoline engine via an old auto transmission . Then you could suspend the axle housing from a pulley like a traveling block on a drilling rig . Now , you could take that old drill stem and cut it up into maybe 8 or 10 foot sections and fabricate a square point of attachment so that the yoke shaft on the diffy housing would slide into that piece of drill stem and then start drilling and lowering the axle house as the bit dug deeper . It would be fun to rigup an Aggie setup and see if it could actually be made to work . .....
    .................Actually , now I had an Even better idea!.....If , you're familiar with an Danuser , F8 posthole digger , you figureout some way to to raise and lower it as you added additional sections of Pipe . You'd probably have to use 5 foot sections as the ujoint wouldn't allow much more travel than that . And , the main problem would probably endup being that after you had 50 feet or so of Pipe in the ground the amount of Torque necessary to both Twist and Drill thru hard layers of subsoil would start busting ujoints and sheer bolts . Crazy idea's and fun to think about , yep , fordy.. :)

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Fordy, a mast from an old order picker/forktruck would be the ticket to raise and lower the well drilling bit.

4. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Dear southernthunder: Please send sandstone at your earliest convenience and I will send you some real nice granite quartz with no water in it at all! You lucky son of a gun! I would sell my husbands right arm for sandstone and a well with water LOL