homemade nest box

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by okiemom, Feb 16, 2005.

1. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

Are there any plans for nest boxes? Around here nest boxes are almost $20. What can I do that would be more dollar friendly?

2. frogdog

frogdog Guest

The does aren't due for a little while still, but I picked up some nest sized plastic storage boxes for pretty cheap. Think they were $2 or so on sale. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't work, and they'll clean up a whole lot easier than those wood ones. Whole lot cheaper too!

Liz

3. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

:eek: You may want to drill some holes in the bottoms of those plastic boxes or else put a lot of absorbent material in the bottom to take care of the urine...I used a plastic pet carrier for my first litter and I didn't realize that their urine was pooling in the bottom. By the time I figured it out, many of the baby bunnies had 2nd or 3rd degree ammonia burns, some so bad that they lost toes. :waa:

4. Ray_Scheel

Ray_Scheel Well-Known Member

Here is the diagram I drew out for what I use, made it out of 1/4" hardware cloth, same idea as what Rabbitgal was talking about.

http://www.geocities.com/raym0nds/rabbitbox.html

5. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

We used to build ours our of plywood, same look as the ones you buy but without a roof, and with a thin 1/4" plywood for the bottom, that you could take in and out. It was held on by some hardware cloth staple-gunned on across part of the bottom. Worked great, we always scrubbed & disenfected our nestboxes when we moved them to a new doe, but you don't NEED to unless you think you need to for health reasons. The drop boxes that you buy liners for are excellent, but you do have to install them and get liners for them. We added pine to the box, and they did the rest with fur. Worked good. Had a shorter front on it, so the doe could jump in and out. Basically a box with a shorter front. One great advantage of the drop boxes is that if a bunny is still attached while she jumps out, it just falls back in the box.