Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made homemade laundry soap today. Cool & fun. Poured it hot into two empty detergent bottles. I'm thrilled since DH has skin problems, and now I can use hypoallergenic detergent without spending a lot of money.

Now I just went downstairs adn discovered it's completely gelled up.
HOW do I get it out of the bottle to use it??!!! It's not pourable!
Thanks guys...

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
oh no! I make home made powdered laundry detergent so I don't know about the liquids. I hope someone helps. I got my recipe from this board and if you'd like it, I'll post. Wonder if you could add a little warm water to it or heat it double boiler method like you would chocolate to get it out?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Mine gels up too but not so much that I can't pour it out of the bottle....I just shake it up for a bit and it will mix up and pour out. What recipe did you use?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Yeah...mine is lumpy but it dissolves in the water. Sounds to me like it will work fine. Another thing....don't expect to see a lot of soap suds in the wash because they just won't be there...regular detergents add things to the detergent to make the suds. Just wash your clothes and see that they will come out clean.

Another thing..to save money on fabric softner...use vinegar instead in the rinse cycle. Gets all the residue soap out and your clothes will not have static cling in the dryer.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My washer doesn't have the little fabric softener cuppy thing, and for some reason I couldn't find the downy ball either! At any rate, DH LOVES dryer sheets because they help get the cat hair off his shirts (3 cats = lotsa hair), but because of his skin, I can't use them.

Well I ended up finding Sun & Earth hypoallergenic, biogradable dryer sheets! They're obviously a little more pricey than regular ones, but it's one of those things we think is worth it... they work great, and I SWEAR I'm getting less lint in the lint trap...but it could just be in my head.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
just shake it really good. it'll loosen up a little bit. then you can add a little more water, if you need to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts