Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
homemade item-dried deer ham...yall know i like making my own stuff with all these junk chemicals in bought stuff...well anyhow....took a deer ham that was cured in brine and then smoked. i wanted to see if i could make something different ...so i decided to put it through grinder and dehydrate it.this was about 3 pounds..maybe..but anyway it fit into a pint jar after dried.

you can now take this and rehydrate out in the forest and fields and toss in one of those packs of mayo and have deer deviled ham spread....or this is one thing i am looking and doing with it.

i have more things i am working on but i will tell more in future when i do a big thread with everything i been working on over the past few months as time has allowed.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
free leonard peltier
2,315 Posts
Sweet!

Now, show us a recipe with a little bit rehydrated, and tell us how good it is :D

Have you thought of what to make with it? I bet it would be good in a quiche or any egg and cheese dish like that with some mushroom and onion. Or on a pizza!

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet!

Now, show us a recipe with a little bit rehydrated, and tell us how good it is :D

Have you thought of what to make with it? I bet it would be good in a quiche or any egg and cheese dish like that with some mushroom and onion. Or on a pizza!

wait till ya see the project this one element goes to....:thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How does it taste out of hand (still dehydrated)? I love jerky, and it seems like it would taste a bit like that.

no way ya can eat it dehydrated.....its like hamburger gravel....hard as a rock.

·
Lovin' the Country Life
507 Posts
Hi elkhound,

Is your recipe for the brine and smoking of the ham on here somewhere? If not, could you share it? Please... I would love to smoke a deer ham and need a good recipe.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi elkhound,

Is your recipe for the brine and smoking of the ham on here somewhere? If not, could you share it? Please... I would love to smoke a deer ham and need a good recipe.

you can find something from this link to fit your tastes i am sure.i usually follow the old morton salt curing book....last item i did was canadian bacon..it was good. this particular deer ham i didnt do. i am going to be trying out several recipes from this link to get different tastes .one item i done was deer bologna but added my twist to it..i smoked it..it was sorta like a summer sausage.theres so many ways to cure recipe wise and also either its dry rub or a liquid brine.try a few out to see what tastes you like best.good luck.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage recipes.htm#DRY

1 - 16 of 16 Posts