Homemade iron supplement?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MARYDVM, May 2, 2006.

1. MARYDVM

MARYDVM Well-Known Member

Here in the AZ desert, I have to spread Ironite around my trees and bushes a number of times a year, because of the high Calcium content of the soil. Is there any way to get iron into the water or soil without continuously applying this product?

2. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Try just throwing old rusty nails into a hole or two at the drip line of your trees or shrubs. If it is a tree, you can also just hammer a few nails into it. Make sure you put them in really low near the base so that chainsaws will never find them.

3. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

You could buy water from me:)

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

I'd use iron sulfate (also known as copperas). Not only supplies iron, but helps to lower the soil pH. Farm supplies or garden centers that carry a good line of fertilizers and plant nutrients ought to have it or should be able to order it for you.

.....Alan.

5. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Rusty nails are free and when buried they last for years and can't end up in tires. Think recycle.

6. MARYDVM

MARYDVM Well-Known Member

I was looking at a piece of old rusty scrap iron the other day and wondering if it would put out enough iron by soaking it in water. I'll try "seeding down" the soli with old iron and see if it works. Thanks.