Homemade Ginger Ale & Candied Ginger

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by torade, Aug 12, 2004.

1. torade

torade Well-Known Member

Homemade ginger ale is great to give kids (and yerself) when your sick and the stomach aches.
    And for those who like Hot Tamales, candy ginger is way better, and better for you.

Homemade Ginger Ale & Candied Ginger

2 cups ginger slices, peeled (1/8 inch thick)
    2 cups sugar
    2 cups water
    1 quart soda water
    1 lime cut in wedges
    4 mint sprigs
    Mix ginger, sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a slow simmer. Reduce mixture by 50 percent until a syrupy consistency is reached. Keep in mind that the syrup will thicken as it cools. Strain warm syrup. Allow to cool.
    While syrup is cooling, make ginger candy. Take ginger slices that have been drained out of the syrup and completely coat in sugar. Spread on sheet pan and slowly dry out in a 225-degree oven for 3 hours. Ginger slices should be dried but still chewy.
    In a tall glass of ice, add mint sprig and a ratio of 1 part ginger syrup to 7 parts soda water. Squeeze lime wedge and add to drink. Use more syrup if desired. Stir and enjoy. Can also make drink with chilled soda water and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a tasty Ginger Ale Float.
    :)

2. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:D

YUM! LOVE ginger ale, and this recipe is simple enough i can make it sugar free. :)

BTW, thanks for reminding me I have some nice big fat juicy slices of crystallized ginger. *sneaking off to have a little mid-morning treat*

3. Sue C

Sue C Member

That sounds sooo good, thanks for sharing. Great for a hot day without the tummy ache. Used to get gingerale for a treat from my Gran many many decades ago in England, ginger brings back good memories.

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Love homemade ginger ale and go nuts over sugared ginger! Thanks for sharing.

I also make ginger tea:
    2 tsp ground ginger
    Steep in 8 oz boiling water
    Stir in 2 tsp honey

Sip slowly for tummy ache

Granny Pearl used to give me this for my tummy.

5. Pythia

Pythia Active Member

Perfect timing.
    To combat my all-day morning-sickness, I've been making hot tea with candied ginger but I could sure use a cooler and sweeter change.

Thanks for the recipe.

6. Kee Wan

Kee Wan Well-Known Member

Do you suppose that I could use a food dehydrator to dry the ginger after it's sugared?? Ir does in absolutly need to be baked??

And - how do you keep the syrup?