Homemade fridge smoker

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Earthbound, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Earthbound

Earthbound Well-Known Member

Have an old metal fridge with all the guts in it still, could someone guide me through the process of building a smoker from it. I grew up with one that my dad made from a fridge and he'd smoke jack rabbits in it...yummy. Sadly though i was too young to remember how he did it and he's now passed on.
    thanks in advance
    corry

2. Whut

Whut Member

Gut the insides of the refridgerator which will include all the plastic inside walls all the way around,take out all the insulation that you find as well strip everything away that will melt or burn from the heat, basically all you want is the metal compartment.

3. brownegg

brownegg Well-Known Member Supporter

Remove the motor parts from the bottom of the fridge.
    This is where you build the fire, cut a hole large enough for the smoke to enter the fridge. Cut a round hole near the top on the backside for your vent hole.We cut that so a soup can will serve as the chimney, you can regulate the heat by blocking the flow out the soup can. :goodjob:

4. Earthbound

thank you!
    corry
    Anyone have any pics?

5. brownegg

brownegg Well-Known Member Supporter

bump for earthbound,
    lots of people homesmoke, don't you? :shrug:

6. Earthbound

NOw what is the difference between hot and cold smoke? I have heard of putting an old burner element in the bottom with a cast iron pan and filling with wood chips. Thanks for the bump brownegg, you say to build a fire where the motor was, now is that a contained burn and if so then in what? I'm really excited to get this rolling as I have a friend who is salmon fishing as we speak and he'll trade me fish for smoked fish. Also any good brine recipes? I have one from a friend of mine who grew up on the reserve and it is great but i'd like to experament. my experience is with a borrowed big chief smoker and i cant afford one of my own.
    corry

7. Boss Cooker

Boss Cooker Well-Known Member

Try this. go to www.bbqforum.com :hobbyhors
    You will find out what you want to know about smokers and hot and cool smoking. :rock: