Homemade dog foods.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by OldYellersGhost, Mar 17, 2005.

1. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

Is there a good homemade alternative for dog food without having to buy any?
    I have alarge packet of cow fat. What else can I use for feed?

2. crwilson

crwilson Well-Known Member

hey im also interested in the same thing, i dont want to have to keep buying dog food when im only making a few thousand a year.. So far all i know is dont feed your dog cooked fat, it cant digest it and it should be mixed with meat at about 30% fat per serving... you can also mix veggies and stuff with it.

3. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

I feed BARF to my dogs. The way I do it (definately not the last word on how to do it-everybody does it a little different) is NOT less expensive than a premium dog food. I feed approx. 60% raw meat and bones (about 50:50), about 20% crushed veggies and fruit, about 13% organ meat (50% liver, 25% kidney, 25% heart), and 7% "other" (mostly eggs and yogurt). My dogs also get Salmon oil, Cod liver oil, kelp, alfalfa, vit. C, vit. E, and B complex. They also get "healthy" scraps/leftovers (ashamed to say not ALL of our leftovers are healthy :eek: ). The most expensive part of the diet is the oils/vitamins/etc. The rest buy cheap (chicken quarters, turkey necks, pork necks, organ meat) or grow myself (some chicken parts-it's usually cheaper to buy them!-and the veggies and eggs). I personally don't feed very much plain fat to my dogs and I would be careful adding too much fat too soon as that is a quick way to give your dog pancreatitis. Dogs that are used to fat can have a little more-mine generally get plenty of fat from the chicken quarters. Like I said earlier, this is just MY recipe, everyone does it different. If you are interested there are lots of good books to read about the subject. I personally have (and based my recipe off of) the Billinghurst books and I also have Kymythy Schultze's book. BTW if you wondered how much total raw diet to feed a dog, it's usually around 2% of his body weight per day. My young dog gets more and my couch potato gets less.

4. Icare4animals

Icare4animals Member

basically you can make a very easy dog food the same way you make your food, you want lots of protiens,small amount of fat, some grains are good and veggies and fruit are good too! I work for a vet clinic as a tech and the #1 diet we rcomend is chicken and cooked rice just remember no bones! you could call your local veterinary office and get them to send or fax you some homemade recipes..just remember what ever you had put in it can cause pancreatitis and bloat research both and remeber also its sometimes ok if the meat is not as fresh as a resturants but hey dogs cant make fire they will be ok!

5. debra in nm

debra in nm Member

After I added 2 Gr. Pyrenees to the group, I started supplementing with my own "dog stew" on their kibble. It's a modification of Dr. Pitcairn's suggestions for dog food. I make up a large batch in a stew pot of this and freeze portions. For 5 dogs of all sizes (Corgi to Pyr) it lasts me a little over a week. I use ground turkey (onions, garlic), 4 cans of sale beans & green veggies (I buy 2-fers or better), a cup of rice, a few fresh carrots, brocc, or potatoes... make up your own, really. I know the canned veggies are not optimal, but better than nothing. It takes about 45 minutes and I usually do this while I'm doing house chores. I also add kelp and bone meal, brewer's yeast. Other variations in their diet besides the soup include cottage cheese, yogurt, raw or scrambled duck/turkey/guinea eggs, goat milk from my neighbors, or any leftover soup or stew of my own. I do try and buy them a good brand of dry kibble, then ladle this soup over it. I've had no complaints... but dogs tend to eat anything, so I shouldn't flatter myself, right? debra in nm

6. scottie1

scottie1 New Member

I feed my dogs raw food. Chicken, rabbit, lamb, beef, pork, venison, and canned mackeral are common around here. I raise and butcher my own lamb and rabbits. That meat is free because I sell other animals that cover the cost of feed and the animals.

The venison is also free, I get it from a guy that proccesses deer for hunters. I get all the ribcages I can handle. I cut each side into halves and that feeds my 4 dogs. The Scotties each get a rib and the 2 big dogs split what is left.

I go to the slaughter house and get some stuff free and other pretty cheap. It works out cheaper than dog food. Healthier too! :D

Kathie

7. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Homemade kibble is easy but making it in quantity can be an issue.
    My freezer is too small to keep much in there for the dogs.

Kibble:

About one pound of meat/fat
    1 cup flour and 1/2 cup cornmeal
    1 TB garlic powder
    Eggshells, crushed in the blender
    Mix these so you know about how wet the dough should be. Then add

Any other leftovers you have laying around and more flour until the mix looks right again.

Place all ingredients in food processor and blend well. Pour onto a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil which has been greased. Press the mix flat (it will be thick and somewhat stiff.) Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
    Crumble to make kibble.
    I often set this out on drying screens after baking, just so it will keep better.

The dogs love this kibble but it is such a pain. I think it would be easier just to figure out a way to dry jerky in bulk for them. That way, no cooking, no freezer space, etc.
    We also feed a modified BARF diet - called WHATCHAGOT.
    The first time I gave my little lapdog a chicken foot - she was so excited her whole body trembled, but she had no idea what to do with it. She was thrilled but terrified at the same time.
    I took a lighter and burned one end until the meat smelled a little cooked and gave it back to her. That did the trick, and she understood it was food from then on...

8. Is there a good alternative without buying any? Yes, it's called "Roadkill"!

I was just thinking the other day that I should get in contact with the River patrol who drive up and down the highway here close by everyday. Have them keep an eye out for any roadkill deer they see on the highway and have them give me a call and give me permition to collect it for my own use. If its too late for my own consumption then I could use it for dog food. Also I would have a source of extra hides for tanning.

9. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

"Is there a good homemade alternative for dog food without having to buy any?
    I have alarge packet of cow fat. What else can I use for feed?"

I think that those who replied to this question so far have totally missed the point. He asked how to make inexpensive dog food without buying any, and everyone proceeded to give him recipes that would make 95% of the world's human population drool over themselves in a hopeless hungar fantasy. Really, chicken quarters!!! Cans of vegetables! Only in a super abundant America could anyone indulge their spoiled pets with so much wasted energy and foodstuffs.

I have one small dog and a cat. The cat I don't worry about, it can hunt. Not so the dog. But all I have ever fed it is dog chow out of the bag, and it is still as active at 12 years of age as it was when a pup. Cat gets the same chow.

But what if those sacks of dog food were no longer available? What if the world as we know it -- where we can feed our pets chicken quarters and pork necks and giblets -- evaporates? How would you feed all those (large), hungry mouths in an emergency situation where you could no longer get into town? Where supplies were short even for humans? Sure, you could shoot a deer and feed it to those hundred pound energy sinks, but how long would that last? What would the humans eat?

I suggest that if things seriously deteriorate in this country, having several large pets around that you have to keep shoving expensive food into will become a unbearably heavy chain around your neck. You may well end up salivating over the food those pets once used to eat.

So, again, here's his question: how would you feed your pets without having to BUY anything.

10. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

My dogs do very well eating most of the basic foods we eat, they enjoy many raw vegetables and have learned to not like raw chicken (we freerange) but raw rabbit is a favorite, raw pork, goat etc when we butcher. Some of mine will eat salads. all of them will eat what I cook for our meals, I suppliment with eggs raw and cooked, milk fresh, cultured and spoiled, kelp meal, they will eat some alfalfa pellets and various other pelleted feeds too.

11. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I have lots of deer meat, and have canned a lot of it. I cook rice, and add 2 quart jars of meat, 2 quarts of carrots, and 2 quarts of tomatoes. and about a quarter cup of garlic, minced.
    I simmer it all together, and have my dog food. they do well on it, and are healthy.