homemade dishwasher soap?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Teresa, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Teresa

Teresa Well-Known Member

DH cabbaged onto a Kenmore, in-counter dishwasher yesterday at work. :D They are remodeling a kitchen and it was being removed and thrown out. I make and use the laundry soap from the recipe that was posted here a while back, only I use my home-made lye soap instead of Ivory. Does any one have a recipe for dishwasher soap?

2. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I use half and half Borax to Super Washing Soda. A cup of each should last you about a month if you use it every day-I only use about 2T of the mix per load. It's important to use vinegar in the rinse cycle if you have any hardness in your water, though.

3. Teresa

Teresa Well-Known Member

no soap? Do you mean like Arm & Hammer washing soda? Thanks for the vinegar reminder, I do have hard water and use it in the laundry but wouldn't have thought of it for the dishwasher.

4. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

We mane Kenmore and I work in the Devolopment Lab. Electrosol tabs are the best but not cheap. If someone lives within 50 miles of Benton Harbor we are looking for 75 people to test new units for free with installitaion. PM me and I'll set you up.

mikell

5. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Yup-Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda.
    I suppose you could put a squirt of liquid soap in there-my mother always did that when we were kids.

6. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

Quick question - maybe a dumb question :rolleyes:

Is there anyway to put the vinegar in there at the beginning? I tend to run my dishwasher right before I leave for work or right before I go to bed. (In defense I would say that I only run it a few times per week, usually I do the few by hand! :haha: ). I don't think I will think to pay attention to when my rinse cycle kicks in. Thanks!

H'bird

7. Teresa

Teresa Well-Known Member

I'm with you Hummingbird! There's no way it will get there if it can't go in at the start. I was assumming there is a dispenser of sorts. My old portable one had a jet dry dispenser and I guess I figured it would go in there?

8. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I wonder about pouring it into the rinse aid dispenser, although a bottle of Jet Dry does last a long time, is inexpensive, and definitely does the trick, though I haven't tried it with the homemade soap.

9. designer

designer Well-Known Member

I found this one on www.recipegoldmine.com I was wondering if you could make castille soap and grind it up, boil it with water and turn it into liquid for use in this recipe.

Automatic Dishwashing Soap
    Source: Casey Kellar, author of Natural Cleaning for Your Home: 95 Pure and Simple Recipes

Like Cascade and Sun Light

Homemade natural formula will safely cut through grease and sanitize your dishes as well.

1/2 cup liquid castile soap
    1/2 cup water
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    3 drops tea tree extract
    1/4 cup white vinegar

Combine water and liquid Castile soap. Stir and then add lemon juice, tea tree extract, and vinegar. Stir until blended evenly and store in a squeeze bottle.

Use 2 tablespoons per wash in a standard-size dishwasher.

NOTE: Do not substitute conventional liquid soap for the castile soap unless it is a "low sudsing" soap. Regular soaps will produce too many suds and overflow the dishwasher.

Carol

10. Tinker

Tinker Well-Known Member Supporter

Fin, I would be careful putting a squirt of liquid soap in there. I have heard of several people subbing liquid disg soap for dishwashing powder, and it super bubbles, and leaks out the seal. You could end up with a whole floor full of soapy water. I would even be leary of using liquid castile, unless you try it on your hands first and determine the suds are minimum.

11. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I'm talking about two teaspoons or so. Just enough to bust up some grease. Hey-Mom's been doing it for 30 years.

12. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

designer The liquid soap is made with potassium hydroxide. Reg bar soap is made with sodium hydroxide which is what red devil lye is. You can buy the pot hyd and make liquid soap. My reg soap I use for washing dishes has soy oil in it and foams too much for the dishwasher. I'd have to make a new batch of castille to try it out because I put coconut oil in the last batch I made to get good suds for my hair. I wanted to wait until I bought some pot hyd before making a new batch of castille. Not any point in it right now since I have so much to use up. I might have to start shampooing the chickens just to use it up sooner :haha: . If you try it let us know how it works.

13. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

Yes vinegar in the rinse agent thing, been doing it for over a year now and no longer have to scrub the mineral deposit out of my dishwasher, we have hard water too. :) I did check with the shop in town and they said it fine and better to use that then something else as we run on a septic tank.

14. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

No way! That's awesome. I'm going to fill it right now. :D

15. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

I've tried several recipes for homemade dishwasher soap and none have worked well for me. Perhaps it is our water. It usually ended up that I had to rewash a lot of the dishes by hand. Anyway, I now just get the stuff at the store and divide it between two bottles. Then I fill both bottles with water and shake them up really good. It still works great and costs half as much (and we're only subjected to half of the chemicals). I've tried dividing it into three bottles, but it didn't work as well.

16. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

I am curious - I know what borax is and can get it easily and cheaply. Is your super washing soda actually Arm&Hammer Baking soda in the big orange box in the detergent isle? Can you list the names and directions per load? I like to get it right the first time and then compare it to the natural products I'm paying for.

I would also love the recipe/directions for clothes washing.

I have been buying natural cleaners which are made from those things and would love to make my own and save the $$.

Thanks so much,

brural

17. Teresa

Teresa Well-Known Member

It is the Arm & Hammer Washing Soda in the big orange box in the laundry isle. Do a search on this forum and you'll find the recipe. It works great and is very easy and economical to make. I'll let you all know what my opinion of the dishwasher soap is come Tuesday, DH is installing it tomorrow so will have a chance to experiment!

18. vonettrich

vonettrich Well-Known Member

Cyngbaeld, how do you make your shampoo using castile soap and coconut oil? I'd like to try making my own.

19. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

You can also find lots of recipes on the frugal shopper website. There is a messageboard just for homemade laundry soap.

20. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I use a standard castille soap recipe using 'light' olive oil (I like the smell better). Then I rebatch it and add the coconut oil. You can just make castille and substitute coconut oil for 1/6 of the olive oil if you are doing cold process.

I always do hot process and coconut oil will cause lots more foaming so I rebatch and superfat with the coconut.

Here are a couple more sites with recipes:
    http://millersoap.com/castile.html#FavCastSuds
    http://www.soapnaturally.org/recindex.html