homemade detergents

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mommalee, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Mommalee

Mommalee Well-Known Member

What recipes do you use for laundry detergent? and where do you find the ingredients (like washing soda)?

Does anyone have a homemade dish washing soap?

2. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

There's a couple of recipes here: www.soapsgonebuy.com look under Fels Naptha and the recipes tab.

I find washing soda and borax right in my grocery's laundry aisle, though you do have to look closely and not all stores carry it. You don't have to use Fels Naptha - I use Dove too.

3. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I use Fels Naptha,Borax,and I like to use washing soda but I haven't been able to find it recently. I mean I have looked everywhere imaginable....every Wal-Mart,every dollar store,every grocery store. I can't find it anywhere.

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

your local wal mart should have washing soda. Look under the name 'So-Clean' in the laundry detergent aisle where I found it high up above the others and not too noticible, but it was in a dark blue box and the term 'washing soda' isn't so noticed as is the name brand "So-Clean" . I also found it in a local medium sized grocery store in a small town. Look for it, you should be able to find it.

5. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

Okay,the next time I am there,I'll scan the aisle for that name. I've looked at Wal-Mart twice,at two different store locations. Maybe I'm just missing it.

6. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

If you can;t find washing soda...I can't anywhere, you can use something called ph up for swimming pools. Its the same things just a little more $$. I still come out cheaper using this than buying detergent though. thanks for the tip on so clean....I don't usually shop WM but I might just have to make an exception and see if the one here carries that product.

7. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

We can't find washing soda here, either, so I began using baking soda. Know what? It works. I use 1 part shredded soap and 2 parts baking soda. That's all, nothing else.

8. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have a Publix grocery store they still carry washing soda. Our Wal-mart and Target do not carry it under any brand name.
    Dawn

9. Fae

Fae Well-Known Member Supporter

I have not been able to find it lately either but I did a search for Arm and Hammer Washing Soda and found their site. They give the UPC code so you can try to get your store to get it. I took it to our small town grocery store and she said she would try to get it for me. I hope she can because I love to make my own laundry detergent. I use to use the Fels Naptha soap but I have to order it which means shipping charges which makes it cost more. In my area of the country the laundry soap is called Octagon. My grandmother used it and I still use it for lots of things. I am going to try my next batch with it and see if it works the same.

10. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I use borax and strong lye soap to wash the dishes. Only use the borax if there is a lot of grease on them tho. Might want to wear gloves.

11. fransean

fransean Well-Known Member

If you have any certified grocery stores in your area I have found Arm & Hammer Washing Soda and Borax both there.
    I make my own soap with lard for laundry soap grated up mixed with borax and washing soda.
    For softener use vinegar in a downey ball in the washer.

Bev

12. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Washing soda abounds at wallyworld: it is called oxyclean and the generic version of oxyclean.

13. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

I use my soap scraps from my homemade soap, but I also mix up a lye heavy batch of soap with just coconut oil and mix that with my shreds. I boil 18 cups water, add 1 cup borax, and 1 cup baking soda and two cups soap shreds and add that to the boiling water, I heat until the soap shred dissolve. I usually add some tea tree oil to add a "clean" smell and cover the scents of the variety of soap shreds in the batch. Don't walk away from it though, I've had it boil over and boy what a mess!! At least it was soap ( and I've got a smooth top range) ......my kitchen was real clean by the time I got it mopped up!!

14. harrisjnet

harrisjnet Okie with Attitude

If you have a chemical supply house, they should have it. It would be called Soda Ash. It is used in Water and Waste Water treatment plants. Larger Swimming Pool supply places should have it also.

15. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

Oxyclean and washing soda are the same thing?

I have a question.

A couple of years ago, I rounded up all the saved soap scraps and little hotel bars and ground them up and boiled them with some water. I was hoping to make some liquid hand soap, but it just kept growing and jelling. I kept adding water and it kept jelling. I now have a gallon of soft soap. Could I use it along with borax and washing soda to make laundry detergent???

16. fransean

fransean Well-Known Member

I personally have never heard of Washing Soda and Oxyclean being referred to as the same product.

As far as liquid soap is concerned to make that you need potassium hydroxide instead of the sodium hydroxide (lye) that is used to make bar soap. I have made liquid soap in the past but will probably not make it again - what a mess! The potassium hydroxide makes a larger molecule and that is why it is liquid. I hope I explained that correctly.

Bev

17. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Isn't it called "oxyclean" because it has bleach, or something similar, added? I can't believe it's the same stuff.

Anyhow...

Listen. You can use ANY kind of soap to make laundry soap. The end result may turn out different, but it will still clean your clothes. I used Dove ('cause it was on sale and DD was doing soap carvings for a school project), washing soda and borax and got a white, curdy, gelly, gloopy mess. A cup of this stuff in the washer worked great and cleaned a month's worth of laundry at 5 cents a load. I priced it out. :) Next, I used Fels Naptha with washing soda and borax and got a liquidy solution that looked a lot like coffee with plenty of cream. It also worked just fine, one cup per load. I used scraps left over from hotel soaps and bath soaps with the soda and borax, and got a mess even more curdy and gelly gloopy - but I found that if I took the time to add the soap to the water before I put the clothes in the washer, it dissolved just fine and again, my clothes were clean.

Use what you've got.

18. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

I've looked at this and while washing soda (sodium carbonate) is in Oxyclean, there are other ingredients in it also, so I don't know how they would affect the laundry soap. Has anyone tried this with success?
    Dawn

19. Horse Fork Farm

Horse Fork Farm Well-Known Member

I've made variations of this soap for years now and I always end up with the same problem. I hope someone here can help me. It starts out doing fine but then over time my whites start looking dingy and eventually they don't have that fresh smell that they had in the beginning. Its like the dirt doesnt rinse out after the washing. I know its probably something I'm doing wrong-- any ideas???

20. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Washing soda is sodium carbonate. Oxyclean is sodium hydroxide, potasium hydroxide and sodium hypochlorate. Checked the material safety data sheets on these.