Homesteading Forum banner
101 - 120 of 137 Posts

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,605 Posts
Aaaahhhhh. More information.

late Middle English (in the sense ‘loosen, dissolve, untie’): from Latin solvere ‘loosen, unfasten

Therefore, to partially relieve the problem WOULD be called a solution.

I stand corrected.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Undoubtedly. Then the question arises as to how much management do you "force" on them. Is the management for the public benefit, or for the benefit of the homeless individual. It is not always, maybe not even more often than not, to the benefit of both.
Well, enforcement strategies imposed upon people have notoriously poor results in addressing homelessness. Fines don't mean a lot to people with nothing left to lose, and incarceration is much more expensive for society than other solutions that require the consent of the homeless.

As a society we have a strong tendency to want to sit in judgement on the less fortunate, to point out their situation is their own darn fault, and to posit that only if they acted like us, they would be fine. The reality is that this does nothing to really solve either the problem of the homeless person, or the problem of communities and citizens that are inconvenienced.

For some reason, we seem to be willing to spend more on cops and jails than treatment, alterative housing, social supports, income supports, all the things that help people move from homelessness to more stable situations. There has been this socialization where "Joe Taxpayer" figures that if an addict gets treatment, a poor person gets food stamps, or someone in crisis gets counselling, that they are somehow getting over on us.

If we could get past these mindsets and invest in supports that address the actual individual needs of people experiencing homelessness, both we and they would benefit many times over.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Aaaahhhhh. More information.

late Middle English (in the sense ‘loosen, dissolve, untie’): from Latin solvere ‘loosen, unfasten

Therefore, to partially relieve the problem WOULD be called a solution.

I stand corrected.
Very gracious of you, I was going to let it go, because there seemed no way to reply without becoming a quibbler. :p

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
So, it seems Austin, even with the current ban in place (the stick), might be inching towards a formal campsite (the carrot?), whereas Texas seems to think the stick needs to be in place at the state level.

Elsewhere across the country, many cities have the stick firmly in place, or are moving towards it. If any solution is being proposed for the homeless in the same city with a stick, it is pretty much shelters and housing first, both of which are expensive, and neither of which can keep up.

I still think a barebones site, with car and camping slots, would be the minimal solution ... it helps those that want help (30%), and is part of the stick for those that don't/won't (70%). If evictions proceed, with all the pent-up demand in there, the 30% number would bump up ... I might have to give up on the camp site solution, and move faster on the "how to live in a vehicle with a family of four" solution. Walmart will run out of parking slots (at the back of the lot).

Perhaps it is not that we can't move to a solution phase and find something that works, from top to bottom, it is that we aren't done with the stick phase?

·
Registered
16,981 Posts
You still have to incorporate some kind of stick as well as a carrot. Not everyone responds to the same stimuli.

My bil got fat on carrots that I gave him for years. It was the stick that actually gave him the help he needed.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
See if you can find the show
United States of tents.
If you want to build a homeless camp solution this will show the dos and don'ts .

·
Premium Member
41,823 Posts
Well, enforcement strategies imposed upon people have notoriously poor results in addressing homelessness. Fines don't mean a lot to people with nothing left to lose, and incarceration is much more expensive for society than other solutions that require the consent of the homeless.

As a society we have a strong tendency to want to sit in judgement on the less fortunate, to point out their situation is their own darn fault, and to posit that only if they acted like us, they would be fine. The reality is that this does nothing to really solve either the problem of the homeless person, or the problem of communities and citizens that are inconvenienced.

For some reason, we seem to be willing to spend more on cops and jails than treatment, alterative housing, social supports, income supports, all the things that help people move from homelessness to more stable situations. There has been this socialization where "Joe Taxpayer" figures that if an addict gets treatment, a poor person gets food stamps, or someone in crisis gets counselling, that they are somehow getting over on us.

If we could get past these mindsets and invest in supports that address the actual individual needs of people experiencing homelessness, both we and they would benefit many times over.
You are aware that 2/3 of our annual federal budget goes to social programs.... right? Probably more this year with the COVID relief payouts.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,605 Posts
Austin does NOT have a ban in place. The vote to reinstate it was last Saturday. Nothing has changed. The mayor has called for a study. When I was in Austin yesterday, most of the areas under overpasses were still fully populated.

·
Premium Member
10,612 Posts
Well this is going to sound harsh; but if a city does not respect its own boundaries, it gets what it deserves, i.e. the trashy homeless sites under bridges and in parking lots.............

I relate the homeless situation to one needing some "tough love", i.e. either you follow the home rules or you stay out! (A good parent often has an alternative plan that provides a safe option for the one they are pushing; and in the case of a "city", this could be an area outside the city limits that has some type of public cleaning facility, even a type of postal service, donation services, etc. for anyone "willing" to work for it, i.e. clean-up is one way anyone can work in any given area that can "earn" some respect, contribute "positively" to one's living area and actually benefit all around.)

Reactions: Pony

·
Registered
3,023 Posts

Just as a point of order, when you say "we", do you have a mouse in your pocket or are you speaking for others?

·
Premium Member
41,823 Posts
“We the people“ have rights too. Among them is having the right to say “not in my back yard”. Or my front yard, or the streets we built, or our parks or other places we built, own and maintain. Want to live like pigs, go find your own pig pen.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Some interesting ideas above. Seems drugs are a common issue. A variety of post also talk about the importance of motivation. Seems that a guy in the Philippines has been getting results with his anti drug program and thus helping out some of his other social problems. Lots of motivation seems common so as to not have to get involved with his program. Its a good example of how a problem needs to be solved before it gets out of hand. Keep in mind his program has got him elected several times by the general population as he has moved up the political ladder. His methods seem to work but are on the extreme side.

Rodrigo Roa Duterte

·
Registered
238 Posts
Bring back poorhouses. If you make homelessness easier, you just get more homelessness. Just like if you pay unwed women to make babies, you get more unwed women having babies. Throw them all in a poorhouse and make them bust their butts for 8 hours for a day's room and board.

·
Registered
16,981 Posts
Some interesting ideas above. Seems drugs are a common issue. A variety of post also talk about the importance of motivation. Seems that a guy in the Philippines has been getting results with his anti drug program and thus helping out some of his other social problems. Lots of motivation seems common so as to not have to get involved with his program. Its a good example of how a problem needs to be solved before it gets out of hand. Keep in mind his program has got him elected several times by the general population as he has moved up the political ladder. His methods seem to work but are on the extreme side.

Rodrigo Roa Duterte

Looks like Jair Bolsunaro has similar ideas about drug runners. He just had 2 dozen of them killed in a shoot out.

145 Posts
Homelessness and drug addiction are tow separate problems.

Drug addicts are not homeless. They are addicts and until that is removed housing them is a waste of time.

The homeless need to be helped. I know that in the two areas I have lived in in the last 20 years, most cheap housing has been torn down. That is a problem.

I have two members of my extended family that are drug addicts. Until THEY decide to change, nothing will change them. It is sadder than I can express.
(Oh, and BTW. I believe that when drug dealers are spotted, they should be knelt down, shot in the back of the head, and left there for a week, and that is the nice version of what I think should happen)

101 - 120 of 137 Posts