Homesteading Forum banner
81 - 100 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
There are quite a few areas in the vicinity of Columbus, OH where there is an abundance of unoccupied office buildings. These are large, well-built buildings that could be converted into shelters as well as low income/affordable apartments. These buildings are in some of the safest parts of the city/suburbs, located on/near the bus lines, in good school districts (not Columbus City), and there are also plenty of job opportunities in many industries in these areas as well. Because these buildings are in office parks, thus not abutting some HOA subdivision where folks could complain, I would think the community would look favorably on this. Not sure how letting these large, empty buildings remain unoccupied is lining anyone’s pockets.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
My local building inspector once told me something like "I don't care what you do to the dirt ... push it around all you want, build roads, etc. Call me before you even think about a building, so we can discuss the engineered plans and such".

Which makes me think a piece of land with nothing more than a restroom/shower facility on it, along with "prepared spots to park/camp" is the low-hanging fruit.

However, big cities might have no other choice? There's no land anywhere, but dead buildings abound. That'll be $10 million to bring each one up to code, before we let the 1st homeless person in (even though they are probably already in there).

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Everything homeless needs to be in walking distance. Guess thats why they live in town. Heck its 14 miles to town for me. If you dont have transportation its hard. If you take out the mental health folks, losing income loose your car then your home. Hard to get a job with out phone and transportation.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,551 Posts

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Kinda wish they had put the carrot in place before swinging the stick, but ... voters have voted.

In other news, I solved the "keeping them warm" part, if camping at my proposed solution ... OK, I didn't solve it, but these folks did:

I knew the tiny home would replace the McMansions ...

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Those sleeping in their cars don't have the transportation problem (I think, if not broken down?); they just don't have a place to park. Those on foot, can take advantage of the bus system (I think they would?) that my proposal called for; they just don't have a place to pitch their tent.

What they don't have, in either case, is a place to shower ... kind of hard to jump out of your car or tent and go to that interview for something, when you aren't at a minimum cleaned up a bit.

I believe the big problem with homeless isn't that they are "homeless in the cities", it's that they are homeless without some key resources (a space to land in, some minimal facilities, and no stick hovering over them), and I believe my proposal gives those, that want it, the absolute minimum lift up. I can't count the number of times someone else gave me a key resource, and all of a sudden I could do the thing I was trying to do, and do it right. There's still a lot wrong with my solution ... no doubt, but it seems to be inching in the right direction ... just needs a little more pushing along.

"... in a way, we is all homeless--just working our way toward home.” Movie/book "same kind of different as me"

·
Registered
34,133 Posts
Sad to think of that many people who's family have given up on them.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
My grandpa born in 1909 told me this . " You can't save all the birds in all the trees down thru the woods" I don't mind helping but I can't refloat the ship... He picked oranges in florida before he started up the moonshine still!!!

·
Premium Member
10,602 Posts
I doubt the homeless situation will ever be solved! However, the "cities" (like Portland) could do much by enforcing its own laws!

All people have a right to live as they choose...as long as it does not encroach upon the right of another to do the same; yet so many of the homeless have no respect for themselves let alone respect for the rights of others. Trying to teach this respect has to start with each city's respecting its own boundaries. If the homeless cannot get in and stay in they will learn or move on. If they learn then making opportunities for those willing is a "must" for any city that actually respects itself.

I certainly have no solutions; however, I do think were each city to establish an area "outside its boundaries" where the homeless can at least clean up and sleep just might be a good first step. And having some type of transportation to and from that area might be a 2nd good step as it could provide a means for those truly interested in bettering themselves. (There are always jobs to be had in the cities for anyone willing to do the work even though those jobs may not be what most would call good jobs. Still it is a step in the right direction....but only for the homeless actually wanting to better themselves.)

·
Registered
34,133 Posts
Everyone can be. It's just a matter them wanting it bad enough.
That is my point. None of this will do anything to "save" the homeless that will not make the change for themselves and in themselves.

The best one can hope is that the homeless do one day decide to get better. The real question is what to do in the meantime.

·
Administrator
19,842 Posts
That is my point. None of this will do anything to "save" the homeless that will not make the change for themselves and in themselves.

The best one can hope is that the homeless do one day decide to get better. The real question is what to do in the meantime.
The one size fits all solution hasn't worked well in the past and is unlikely to start working well in the near future.

I would suggest that with so many reasons for people to become homeless, we need to look at broader solutions.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Or realize there is no “solution,” there is only management.
Not to quibble, but I would say that there are no panaceas, but there are a wide range of solutions. And for a certain percentage of people on that continuum, managing the problem is the only practical solution.

·
Registered
34,133 Posts
Or realize there is no “solution,” there is only management.
Right. Either let them self destruct with as little public harm, or wait and hope they bounce back after hitting bottom. Some hit bottom many times. If you don't splatter you rise up, and keep going.

·
Registered
34,133 Posts
Not to quibble, but I would say that there are no panaceas, but there are a wide range of solutions. And for a certain percentage of people on that continuum, managing the problem is the only practical solution.
Undoubtedly. Then the question arises as to how much management do you "force" on them. Is the management for the public benefit, or for the benefit of the homeless individual. It is not always, maybe not even more often than not, to the benefit of both.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,551 Posts
In reference to not quibbling, :) As a former English teacher, to solve something means to end or rectify a problem.

Your definition may include additional connotations.:cool:

81 - 100 of 137 Posts