Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 40 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Many many years ago in Texas we helped build one room building s bed kitchenette shower sink toilet. Larger open area building for rec room group meeting group meals. Withing a short time the upkeep became too much. Not having someone on site 24 7 to monitor behavior and transportation medical mental health drug testing rehab the list kept growing. Seems free doesn't work. A lot of the reson people become homeless keeps them for becoming tenets.
With rules they cant and wont follow keeps them on the streets. Otherwise they could just live rough in a campground. States could offer section 8 for campgrounds state parks ect. But they wont because of the issues with behavior and lossing paying guests . shoot use some of the million storm sandy trailers the government owns.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Easy peasy - Open up a couple large mothballed army/air force bases.
They have everything anyone wants/needs for the homeless.
Makes it easier for services to be rendered with everyone in the same place.
I bet if run correctly, you'd find some good leaders rise to the top.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts

I don't want this to get thrown in the basement. This should happen with Congress. Roll call and breakfast at 0600, on the bus to work and be back in their district after four months. I'm simple minded I know!?!?

·
Premium Member
20,451 Posts

I remember you posting about this before and I still think it sounds like a good idea.
we also have an old psychiatric hospital outside town and that might be a good place to have a homeless facility.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
24,403 Posts
One of the keys to getting people off the street is location. They are in those cities because they want to be there. Otherwise, they would take a bus ticket to move on. The services used to move them from street to a home need to be based where they are. Moving them to camps or army or air force bases in other places is not conducive to integrating them into the places they want to live.

It is far cheaper in the long run to solve the problems that are the reason they are on the street for those that you can.

·
Registered
706 Posts
So what's your solution?
Quit sitting around waiting for someone else to rescue you.

Get off your [butt] * and work your way out of the situation that you are most likely 99% responsible for in the first place.

If you are willing to work, you will find work.

It ain't the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Observers need to stop applying worst case scenarios to homelessness. "Oh the humanity!!" wears as thin as Chicken Little's, "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."- John Wayne

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."- Albert Einstein

* Edited by Shrek 5/3/21 7:14 PM CDST
Content originally posted in brackets is only acceptable on equine board .

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
All these specific programs like "housing first" are way above my pay grade ... they seem more long-term than short-term; definitely do them if it fits the local environment and it can be gotten off the ground.

My solution was simply to provide a place to land, find resources, and move on to the next stage, whatever that is given your scenario and the area you are in.
"Housing first" can seem overwhelming, but its really a philosophical underpinning, and the details are less important than the principles. The notion of steering people towards permanent housing rather than temporary fixes like shelters or camps is because (a) a lot of the resources and energy that could go into permanent solutions gets siphoned off by temporary fixes, and (b) those models don't work for everyone.

I am not knocking shelters, the people who run them are well-intentioned, and some people do benefit. But we know that there are many, many homeless people who simply do not feel safe in a shelter. It's also not the most dignified environment. If you get a chance, read Down & Out in Paris & London, by George Orwell, it paints a vivid picture of the experience.

the camp setting sounds better, and your description did remind me of the government camp described in Grapes of Wrath. A camp-like facility as a temporary solution isn't the worst idea, but not everyone will fit in, and eventually we have to look at permanent solutions.

Interesting thread, thanks for starting it.

·
Registered
16,253 Posts

Get off your [butt]* and work your way out of the situation that you are most likely 99% responsible for in the first place.

It ain't the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Observers need to stop applying worst case scenarios to homelessness. "Oh the humanity!!" wears as thin as Chicken Little's, "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."- Albert Einstein

* Edited by Shrek 5/3/21 7:14 PM CDST
Content originally posted in brackets is only acceptable on equine board .
I don't need to be rescued.

This thread wasn't to rant about the homeless. If you want to do that there is another thread for that one. Perhaps you could be considerate enough to respect the op's wishes and go there for that instead.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts

Get off your ass and work your way out of the situation that you are most likely 99% responsible for in the first place.

Trust me!!! Mreynolds has worked his way up.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I only read the first couple posts and saw what I expected-- everybody seems to miss some basic science on this subject--

There are two types of homeless people-- the temporary homeless and the hardcore, shall we say, for lack of a better term.

The temporary type includes, for example, the young wife who has finally taken her last beating from the drunken husband, [acks the three kids and a few clothes in the Chevy, drives off to live in the car for a few days. She's resourceful, seeks help from the local social service agencies and they help her out with housing, food, etc until she can find a job and provide for herself...Maybe there's the person who is laid off work, runs thru savings, etc. They to can & do get plenty of help from local agencies.

The ones we read about and see on the news are the hard core types-- They are basically suffering from severe mental illness-- schizophrenia, often of the paranoid type. That's compounded by their all too frequent drug/alcohol use...I'm familiar with the situation in Chicago where there are literally hundreds of shelter beds, good meals, etc available but unused. These people don't trust anyone and actually feel safer living in their cardboard boxes on Lower Wacker Drive then to make use of the several city/county & private agency facilities easily accessible to and for them.

There is plenty of money and resources available. It is largely misplaced, spent in the wrong places and for the wrong things by well meaning but uninformed authorities....The problem probably isn't any bigger now on a percentage basis than ever before, but remember, US population has triples since we BabyBoomers were born, and family life has deteriorated since than also...These people were taken care of by family in the old days, and despite his name, Big Brother is not a good family man.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The notion of steering people towards permanent housing rather than temporary fixes like shelters or camps is because (a) a lot of the resources and energy that could go into permanent solutions gets siphoned off by temporary fixes, and (b) those models don't work for everyone.
There are a RIDICULOUS amount of programs like this. They dont work for most because of the behaviours of the "tenants".

·
Registered
706 Posts
I don't need to be rescued.

This thread wasn't to rant about the homeless. If you want to do that there is another thread for that one. Perhaps you could be considerate enough to respect the op's wishes and go there for that instead.
My solution is to work your way out of homelessness.

That is one of the most effective cures.

Karen

Reactions: mreynolds

·
Registered
706 Posts
Trust me!!! Mreynolds has worked his way up.
So have I.

But I didn't come here to play you show me yours and I'll show you mine.

Reactions: Alice In TX/MO
21 - 40 of 137 Posts