Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... the issue is the homeless, and to this thread, tack on your (real) solutions, as comment free as possible. In this way, perhaps we can better compare and contrast between real solution ideas. Because I posted this in General Chat, I don't know if this thread can remain "chat-free", but inflammatory comments on any particular solution might be better served in a separate thread for that solution?

My solution to homelessness is ... each city surpassing a homeless threshold should consider:
  1. getting state/federal money to build out one or more resource areas that contains, at a minimum, enough land for X amount of individuals and families to car/tent camp (park your car, pitch a tent).
  2. centralized restrooms/showers, for individuals and families, along the same heavy-duty lines as a rest stop area or park facility bathroom; energy-independent as possible with RE.
  3. self-service support services:
    1. regardless of what scenario you find yourself in, here's how to get out of that scenario
    2. anonymous method to request aid in getting out of that scenario, just like getting the "next number to be served"; you get a number to tie into support services, but no name or other PII is exchanged.
  4. travel, between the resource area and those service areas that make sense for that city (walmart/car-parts-store, greyhound bus stop, service assistance center to match services to the number you pulled, etc)
It's geared to be both help to those who want it in the form that they need most (immediate help, because I just got kicked out of my apartment), and a resource that just isn't available in most any downtown area (quit showering in the visitor center bathroom sink).

In my neck of the woods, the closest real town has a homeless issue as well, and the city council is still stuck in the "how dare they" attack-mode, not "what can we do" solution-mode.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Good ideas.

·
Premium Member
20,694 Posts
I would add laundry facilities to that list too.
But what about winter? Any kind of warming facility in your scenario?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The best practices on ending homelessness use a "Housing First" philosophy. It focuses on providing permanent, affordable housing with pre-conditions for readiness (i.e. sobriety). So they try to stay away from shelters or campground types of solutions. They also take a recovery orientation, realizing that supports are necessary to help someone deal with addiction once they are housed (battling addiction while being homeless is much more difficult). So it ties into a harm reduction philosophy.

There are a wide range of supports that may be needed, some housing-related, some pscho-social, some income related. Not all homeless people are homeless for the same reason, so the interventions and supports need to be tailored to the individual or family.

Here's a link if people are interested in more detail:

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The two most basic needs I considered in my "solution" was 1.) a defined place to park a car or pitch a tent, and 2.) a toilet/shower. After that, everything else was available in some form or fashion. These first two items were impossible to find in any city, and are in my opinion the ones that resulted in the most problems.

Nobody sleeping in their car or pitching a tent complained that they couldn't stay warm ... it wasn't camping. It was a temporary place to land until they figured out the next step.

·
Registered
257 Posts
1. go back to institutionalizing the insane. It is more humane, AND better for society, to have them in an institution.

2. Fight the drug problem. Meth has created many more insane people. Make personalized use quantities a crime with rapid judicial processes and 30 days in the clink every time. Close the border to keep the Mexican meth out.

3. Repeal some of the codes/regulations that make building multi-family homes prohibitively expensive for investors (Biden's proposed 500k limit on 1031 exchanges is just going to worsen this) so we can build affordable housing.

4. Strong social safety net to get people INTO those affordable homes and good jobs.

5. Less free stuff.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All these specific programs like "housing first" are way above my pay grade ... they seem more long-term than short-term; definitely do them if it fits the local environment and it can be gotten off the ground.

My solution was simply to provide a place to land, find resources, and move on to the next stage, whatever that is given your scenario and the area you are in.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
There is a shelter in my area. You have to be there by 6pm and not drunk or high. In the morning there are people there that need day labor and are willing to use these people. They pay them (I don't know what) and they give half to the shelter. If they remain for 3 months straight (and they have a job) without any hiccups, they get that money back in full and use that to get a place to live. You abide by all the rules while there are you can be kicked out.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,605 Posts
The FIRST step should always be - Identify the problem
The Second Step is - Analyze the Problem

Ignoring the first 2 steps means you are doomed to failure.

In other words, who are the homeless?
How many are there?
Are they permanent or temporary?
How many are there because of drug problems?
How many are there because of alcohol problems?
How many are there because of other mental problems?
How many are freeloaders?
How many children are among the homeless?
and on and on ....

There is no one solution that solves the problem. There are many problems, each probably requiring its own unique solution.

I keep pointing out on political sites everyone wants to complain about problems, but no one seems willing to do the really difficult upfront work that needs to be done. Just how long have we as a country been addressing the homeless problem, only to see it getting progressively worse.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it wasn't obvious in my 1st post, all the items are at one location. You can park a car or pitch a tent AND use the toilet/shower, along with signage or what-not for the other items. Nothing too expensive or massive ... if it was successful, it might be no different than a city park or a skateboard park, and cities build these all the time (and get external funding from many sources to do so).

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I also know someone that went to a rehab. It was a 12 month commitment. Once in the only way out was jail but you had to sign the contract to do it.

They get you a job that pays better than 11 dollars an hour. They give you 35 a week of that to buy necessities. They keep the rest. If you don't go to jail you get 50 percent of that money back in one lump sum to start your new life.

Oh yeah, you have to go to a 3 month dry out program first. This never cost anything to the person.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shelters are good things, in their own way, and perhaps a reasonable local solution ... is it the only solution, the least expensive, and the best interim step? Don't know ... maybe it is another tool in the toolbox, which hopefully has more than one tool in it.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
The local shelter here is based on $75 per week. If you work/get a check you get two meals a day and four to the room. Stay sober and you can achieve what ever your goal is. Showers are there with a closet for personal items. Storage out back for tools / mowers and weed wackers if you do chose... It's full!!!

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Shelters are good things, in their own way, and perhaps a reasonable local solution ... is it the only solution, the least expensive, and the best interim step? Don't know ... maybe it is another tool in the toolbox, which hopefully has more than one tool in it.
In my mind they will only work if they are structured and have hard and fast rules. If your not going to be homeless you have to play by most of the rules anyway. Plus you have to give them something to work towards. If not, it's all for nothing. This shelter has been around longer than I have been alive and with 100 percent private money. They can only help those that want to be helped though.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Take care of not only the physical need but also the spiritual. The goal should be that the homeless be given a new purpose in life and a new self-worth so they will then strive to eventually be self-sufficient.
Pacific Garden Mission does this.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
The local shelter here is based on $75 per week. If you work/get a check you get two meals a day and four to the room. Stay sober and you can achieve what ever your goal is. Showers are there with a closet for personal items. Storage out back for tools / mowers and weed wackers if you do chose... It's full!!!
It's a good deal for four people on the same crew. Drive the crew cab to work and head back at quitting time. Only one television to the room of four. Cheaper than a motel just grab lunch while you are gone!!!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
... the issue is the homeless, and to this thread, tack on your (real) solutions, as comment free as possible. In this way, perhaps we can better compare and contrast between real solution ideas. Because I posted this in General Chat, I don't know if this thread can remain "chat-free", but inflammatory comments on any particular solution might be better served in a separate thread for that solution?

My solution to homelessness is ... each city surpassing a homeless threshold should consider:
  1. getting state/federal money to build out one or more resource areas that contains, at a minimum, enough land for X amount of individuals and families to car/tent camp (park your car, pitch a tent).
  2. centralized restrooms/showers, for individuals and families, along the same heavy-duty lines as a rest stop area or park facility bathroom; energy-independent as possible with RE.
  3. self-service support services:
    1. regardless of what scenario you find yourself in, here's how to get out of that scenario
    2. anonymous method to request aid in getting out of that scenario, just like getting the "next number to be served"; you get a number to tie into support services, but no name or other PII is exchanged.
  4. travel, between the resource area and those service areas that make sense for that city (walmart/car-parts-store, greyhound bus stop, service assistance center to match services to the number you pulled, etc)
It's geared to be both help to those who want it in the form that they need most (immediate help, because I just got kicked out of my apartment), and a resource that just isn't available in most any downtown area (quit showering in the visitor center bathroom sink).

In my neck of the woods, the closest real town has a homeless issue as well, and the city council is still stuck in the "how dare they" attack-mode, not "what can we do" solution-mode.

You can't change the people around you; but you can change the people around you.

Please ask for an explanation if you don't get it.

I have BTDT as far as homelessness. Nearly five years worth as I built my life back from zero after being kicked to the curb by my wife of 26 years..

While I do believe there are the mentally ill and some genuine need out there, that need is crushed under the inexorable weight of bums. Those who have chosen homelessness as a lifestyle because they lack the maturity and discipline to join the rest of productive society and choose to live by being parasites, sucking the life and vigor out of all the well-meaning who reach out to them. Because most do-gooders are saps and suckers for a sob story or a cardboard sign on the median.

Ever watched The Grapes of Wrath? Those people depicted were up against it, yet they didn't whine and roll around like they were gut-shot demanding to be rescued from their circumstances. It may have been a movie, however that is a demonstration of how survivors react to hardship.

They get back up when they are knocked down hard, dust themselves off and solider on.

Most do-gooders are doing nothing more than enabling and exacerbating the problem, rather than facilitating any worthwhile change.

It's the same as giving an alky a bottle of Jack Daniel's and slapping yourself on the back because you eased his pain.

Hardcase? Bet your ass.

I have zero tolerance or sympathy for those who I have given an opportunity only to be spurned because it can't be turned into adult beverages or recreational substances.

Reactions: muleskinner2

·
Registered
16,610 Posts

You can't change the people around you; but you can change the people around you.

Please ask for an explanation if you don't get it.

I have BTDT as far as homelessness. Nearly five years worth as I built my life back from zero after being kicked to the curb by my wife of 26 years..

While I do believe there are the mentally ill and some genuine need out there, that need is crushed under the inexorable weight of bums. Those who have chosen homelessness as a lifestyle because they lack the maturity and discipline to join the rest of productive society and choose to live by being parasites, sucking the life and vigor out of all the well-meaning who reach out to them. Because most do-gooders are saps and suckers for a sob story or a cardboard sign on the median.

Ever watched The Grapes of Wrath? Those people depicted were up against it, yet they didn't whine and roll around like they were gut-shot demanding to be rescued from their circumstances. It may have been a movie, however that is a demonstration of how survivors react to hardship.

They get back up when they are knocked down hard, dust themselves off and solider on.

Most do-gooders are doing nothing more than enabling and exacerbating the problem, rather than facilitating any worthwhile change.

It's the same as giving an alky a bottle of Jack Daniel's and slapping yourself on the back because you eased his pain.

Hardcase? Bet your ass.

I have zero tolerance or sympathy for those who I have given an opportunity only to be spurned because it can't be turned into adult beverages or recreational substances.
So what's your solution?

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Let's take step 3 or 4 of my plan, and amend it to add "here's the local shelter" in this area. My nearby town doesn't have a shelter, but it does have half a dozen churches, etc., all of whom would lend a helping hand or point someone in the next direction.

Kind of a "you are here" map arrow, with all these other things listed in relation!

1 - 20 of 137 Posts