Homegrown Wild Mushrooms

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mike in Pa, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever tried home-growing wild mushrooms? Any success?

I know there are kits for ----ake and others but I'd really like PUFFBALLS! I just can't find them anymore. I used to see them as a kid but haven't seen one for many years now.

I'd like to find someone that can get one in the spore producing stage and bring it here to spread the spores. Would it work?

2. Mallow

Mallow Well-Known Member

I havent had much luck finding puffballs lately either. I also have never heard of people growing them specifically. The only wild ones I know that people encourage to grow are morels by semi burying elm logs.

3. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

penn state has some good info on oyster mushrooms. i can post a link if you wish.

4. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

Little whitepuff balls that end up being the size of a soft ball and look really nasty when there in spore mode ? Ive never been brave enough to try eating them but my front yard is currently full of them about the size of jaw breakers.

5. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

I have on spot in my lower field that gets them from time to time, actually ran over one mowing this weekend. Too bad, they are pretty good if they are young enough.

Haven't fiqured out why they pick this spot, you would need to figure this out to grow them.

They don't keep too well, so you need to eat them right away.
    Just slice them up like bread and fry in butter, yummmm.

P.S. DW always make me keep a piece of what ever I bring home to eat, just to show the Rescue Squad what Mr Dumas has ingested this time.
    P.S.S. also have Morels

6. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

You should come to my place, we get them the size of volleyballs. It has been fungi city in my yard lately (most not edible unfortunately) and some monster toadstools. I'm wondering if this is a sign of what the winter will be like.

7. woodswitch

woodswitch Member

Mike, what part of Pa are you in? I'm always looking for wild mushrooms (yeah rain!! :banana02: ) and I do come across puffballs this time of year. Maybe I can get something to you if you're close enough. Let me know!

8. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

Carla Emery's book

The encyclopedia of country living has a chapter on growing your own mushrooms.

I believe she said she had the best luck with growing them under the floorboards of her home.

Theres a web site for her book now thats she's dead, try the thread here to get a quick link.

Or if you need info on lots of how to DIY stuff I highly recomend her book. Best $45 I ever spent.

9. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

Thanks but WAY too far ... I'm near Pittsburgh.

I'll try that book one of these days.

Anyone that hasn't tried the puffballs ... you should. The best thing is there aren't any "look-alikes". Just make sure they are solid white throughout. And DON'T PICK if you aren't sure what they are. If they are tiny I guess they could be mistaken for a button before it opens maybe ... don't do that!

10. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

so how do you fix puffballs? I have them all over. there is a giant one in my yard and I hate to let it go tow aste, but they look like marshmallow when you cut them and I have no idea what to do with them.

11. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

Tabitha , take some of those to your county extension service to make sure they really are puff balls. Many poisonous mushrooms look very much like the edible ones.

when satisfied they are edible. Sautee them in butter with just about any dish.

Or my husband favorite. Roll in egg and flour and deep fry in very hot oil.
    This way is best and very tasty although not low cal.

12. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

All I do is slice them about 1/2 inch thick, sautee in butter with alittle salt and pepper. Very simple and very good! If I found an abundance of them, I'd prepare the same, then cut them up and freeze em. Makes agood addition to soups and stews. I especially like to add them to my homemade chili!

13. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Yes,those are really good.Dip em in a ranch type dressing,yum.

BooBoo

14. SusanB

SusanB Well-Known Member

I went to a friends yesterday and he had 5 or 6 puff balls in his yard. I brought one home about football size. We did slice a piece off and fried it up in a pan with salt pepper and a little seasonall. Really yummy! I am afriad it will go bad before I get to eat it all though! I there a way to maybe marinate it and can it? If you want to try freezing it should you blanch it quick? Any suggestions would be great because I don't know how long the other ones wil be good and I really hate to waste them.

15. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

When we first moved to where we are now, we had lots of puffballs growing all around and I just thought they were unedible and mowed them over. Since I found out that they're edible, I haven't seen ANY. :Bawling:
    Is this puffball season?

16. beaglady

beaglady Well-Known Member

It is here in PA. I picked a big bowlfull of baseball-sized ones yesterday. Hopefully they are still good to eat - they've been in the frig. According to my online research, all puffballs that are white inside are edible.

17. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

18. StatHaldol

StatHaldol Well-Known Member

19. StatHaldol

StatHaldol Well-Known Member

20. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

my mom found this in a flower bed she was rehabilitating...

[​IMG]