Home Weather Stations

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SolarGary, Oct 20, 2005.

1. SolarGary

SolarGary Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I've had two of them, and neither of them held up very well. The last one was a Davis. I guess I have been lazy about getting them fixed, but it would be nice if they lasted more than a few months before having problems. Don't know what other peoples experience has been?

Costco now has one at a good price -- you might check them -- If I am remembering right its an Oregon Scientific.

I will say its a very nice thing to have, and its also nice to have it connected to a PC. The Davis one was nice in that it would store readings for a few days, and them download them to the computer when you asked it to -- that way you can go on vacation without leaving the computer on and not lose any data.

You might also just check www.OnsetComputer.com -- they primarely make data logging equipment, but they also have a weather station. I have used their data loggers for several years and been very happy with them. But, the weather station may be pricey.

Gary
    www.BuildItSolar.com

2. lewbest

lewbest Well-Known Member

I always thought one of these would be neat; any idea of the price on the costco one? Guess I'd have to get a membership (IIRC they're members only like Sam's? ;never joined as they're not local but I do pass a store most every month when I go to Dallas).

Lew in Waco

3. SolarGary

SolarGary Well-Known Member

Hi,
    This is from Costco.com -- I think its the same one that they have in the regular Costco stores:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=10000551&whse=&topnav=&cat=&s=1

Note that the software to allow it to talk to your PC is extra.

You do have to be a member -- we have been for years, and think its well worth it.

Gary

4. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

Be aware of any anemometer mounted close to the ground, that is 10-20 feet, will give very poor results. Surface turbulance is far different then winds aloft. For instance anything mounted near the "peak" of your roof will give totally inacurate readings.
    I really enjoy my anemometer, a NRG Wind watcher. It is mounted at 90' on one of my 100' towers.
    Yesterday there was a peak gust of 41 mph.

5. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

All of the real weather junkies that I have talked to swear by Davis. They transmit their data faster and were more accurate. I believe were the main selling points.

I'm going to pick up a Davis Vantage Pro 2 this spring. I'm told it is one of the better units on the market.

6. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

You have more than one 100 foot tower? Man I am envious.

I'm wanting a pair of 75ft crank ups so I can mess with antennas and cables while safely on the ground. No tower climbing for me. I hire that done.

7. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

I have a Davis Instruments weather station. It worked great for about 2 yrs, then the display went funny and it not displaying the correct readings. No $$ to fix it right now. Other than the display problem it has been great. Hope this helps, Chris

8. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

I bought a cheap little Oregon Scientific unit for the wife last year for her birthday and she loves it. It came with an wireless outdoor sensor, it only gives us time of day, indoor and outdoor temp and relative humidity, and weather conditions, partially or completely sunny or cloudy; it does give us precip possibilities of 75% accuracy. I wish I could have gotten something as elaborate as what you are considering, but as a college student, things are quite tight. After I graduate this December, I will have time to progress on the homestead and more money to but toward equipment such as this.

9. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

I have the wmr968, got it almost a year ago, it works great.

I got some free software for it off the web, it will display a weather log screen on your pc and also post the data to a web page for you.

Ahh, found a link to the software:

http://insvr1.midcoastwater.com.au/FreeWX/_sgt/m4_1.htm