Home tanning

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by r.h. in okla., Feb 21, 2005.

1. rabbitgal, do a hide tanning search on this site. It will take you to some pass threads of the same question you have. Then go to tanning rabbit hides by cowboy joe. There is a link on his post that will tell you how to tan rabbit hides and it is a formula many people use on small animals of all kinds.

2. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

3. moldy

moldy Well-Known Member

THanks for that link; older kids have been wanting to tan some rabbit hides, but it just seemed like too much work (for me- mom). Would this method work on larger hides, like deer?

4. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

www.braintan.com

this is whati have always used, last year at the tyler bend homesteaders campout i demoed it, in a very condensed version ...

its easy, no chemicals , and they turn out so soft after smoking them !!!

wiht my satins pelts its a great tan, i am waiting for some more black stain babies to grow up , i have 2 pelts in the freezer, and i need 10 to make what i want .... :D

5. I wouldn't recommend using battery acid around kids even if it is diluted down with water.

And for deer hides I use the braintan method also such as bethlaf has suggested. You don't have to use brains either. If you don't have the animals brains to use you can substitute eggs, bar of soap, and many other fatty acid items.

6. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Big thanks everyone! Whoops, should have been more specific, but I didn't know if anyone here had even tried tanning skins before. Guess it pays to look around and see what you can find first.

I'm basically looking for a method that's non-toxic or not too harmful, leaves the hair on, is cheap, and produces a nice-looking, good quality pelt in the long run. I don't want to mess with toxic stuff...little brothers and sisters running around who might get hurt! Brain/natural tanning sounds interesting. I never knew that you could use eggs, oil and soap, etc.! Oversimplification here, but I've read about a method used by taxidermists involving pickling the hide in a mixture of water, household alum, and salt; and then "working" the hide and rubbing neat's foot oil into it after a few days. Anyone ever tried something like this? Another question: If a skin isn't in prime condition when it's tanned, it'll probably shed, right? Thanks for answering all my dumb newbie questions, folks. :)

rabbitgal

7. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

all hidses will shed to an extent , the best hides are deep winter hides, thicker , softer, etc , but since we butcher year round, the other hides can be slipped of fur for small soft leathers .. or you can fur tan them too , just dont expect as much from them