Home Tanning

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mjollner, Nov 9, 2004.

1. mjollner

mjollner Member

Can anyone suggest a good and simple tanning solution and method. I need something to tan small game pelts. Also, any recommended books on the subject? Thanks.

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

At first I thought, Home Tanning? What do tanning beds have to do with homesteading? :haha:

Try looking up "brain tanning" on google.

3. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

If you want hair on, you can use borax. Works very well on small game pelts.

Kathy

4. Kevin in MD

Kevin in MD Member

I post the following response on another thread but seem relevant for your question as well

Tannin can be extracted from leaves and bark of most trees(some a lot better than others). I found the following webpage that explains the process if you feel like trying it.

http://www.braintan.com/barktan/2tannins.htm

5. Nick53

Nick53 Well-Known Member

Go to www.taxidermy.net they have a separate tanning forum with lots of helpful folks and an extensive archive too. You should be able to find lots of good beginner tips there. There also is a link to WASCO, which is a taxidermy/tanning supplier. They have a small mammal tanning kit with everything ya need for $14.95.

Nick

6. Bob Mc

Bob Mc Member

I have a container of Kwik-N-Eze, a commercially available tanning solution. Haven’t tried it yet, but supposed to be plenty to tan several hides. The only other necessary ingredient is a brine solution. Soak the hide in brine, then apply the tanning solution with a brush. Of course the hide must be properly fleshed first.

7. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

I've used wood ash in place of lye or acid with good success on larger hides. The ashes do occasionally stain the hide. I have my first batch of rabbit skins soaking right now so I'm not sure about the results with smaller hides.

http://www.braintan.com

As mentioned, the Brain Tan website has bunches of information & their methods work.

8. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

southerngurl :

I read it like you did, only I thought "Homesteaders are usually tanner than anyone else I know just from working outside so much" :cool: