Home Schooling questions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Milking Mom, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

We have a 3 year old little boy who is deaf. He has a cochlear implant and was seen by Early Childhood Intervention until he turned 3 then was turned over to our local school system for speech and language therapy, etc. At our Ard meeting it was decided that Josh would go to the local Methodist Day School (DayCare) for interaction with other peers who are hearing, speaking children for therapy for him. He now has 16 month old hearing and is saying some words. I worked very hard with him at home before he got the implant teaching him sign language and after the implant working on verbal speech. He is "HEARING" age appropriate for a 16 month old. The problem is he is becoming very aggressive and beligerant. I attribute it to the Daycare not being able to discipline. He has a 3.5 year old mind, but 16 month old hearing and verbal skills. I think the school is too much stimulation for him and not enough control. I am thinking that maybe for the first couple years of school he just should be home schooled until hopefully his hearing and verbal comprehension and expression catches up with his age. I am an average Mom. I graduated high school in 1977. Can I do homeschooling? I have NO clue where to even begin. If you have any suggestions about getting back to basics on schooling our little boy please give me some advice.

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

His anger may be partly due to communication frustration....be patient

We fostered a little boy that was thought to be deaf but actually he had an auditory processing problem he was non-verbal until 3 but made great gains since and is now adopted by another family and doing well in school.

Homeschooling is challenging but yes you can do it. I would see about having a therapist come to your home so you can learn the techniques from them to further reinforce over the week. Hooked on phonics may also help. He is probably a "visual" and "physical" learner so you need to teach thru these methods. Richard Scary videos are very good for this age group....making letters with playdough...that kind of stuff. But dont push when he has had enough give him time to be a 3 yo. And as far as daycare goes I personally would rather have one or two kids over for a play date with lots of supervision and lots of sharing and caring being taught. Kids with inattentive parents are often rude and even hateful and that could hamper your little guy.

There are specialized preschools for these kids that are great but they are few and far between...I had the pleasure of taking two boys to a program and learned a ton!

Best of luck!

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Huh!

My child is Hard of Hearing also. In school, there is a microphone that transmits from the teachers lapel to my sons hearing aid. As soon as the teacher speaks, the hearing aid stops transmitting the sound of the room and transmits only the teachers voice. Technology can be wonderfull.

Now, the mistakes that the Methodist Church makes will not be the mistakes that the school will make. And, the mistakes that the school will make one year will be different from the mistakes they make another year. It just works that way.

It might be informative to observe at the church to see what the problem is. I observed a few times with my son before he was able to tell me what the problems were that were bothering him so. It taught me a lot.

As for homeschooling, alas, I have not much to say. I just sort of wanted to say "Hi". But, there is a lovely place called the Classroom just a little past Homesteading Questions, and they are MOSTLY homeschoolers. Not all of them, but most of them. They can likely tell you more. You will ALSO receive replies here, of course, very few people only go to the Classroom site, most come here as well.

4. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

5. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

We are also in Texas. One of my sons had speech therapy when he was about the age of yours, with a wonderful young lady who helped him at the school for maybe a half hour a day on one sound at a time. He made great strides in only a few weeks' time. Unfortunately, when we moved, the new lady didn't see the need to work on sounds. She thought putting him in with the Head Start kids would cause him to pick it up on his own. I informed her that he had other children at home, and pulled him out. That was also the year we began homeschooling.
    My suggestion would be to bring him home, talk to him alot, and spend a few minutes each day working on a beginning phonics program. In my opinion, a few minutes one-on-one can do the miracles you are looking for. Then, as someone else suggested, if he is an only child, get together occassionally with others in smaller, well supervised, groups for learning more social interaction. In my opinion, again, there is no rush to do that. He must be quite overwhelmed.
    mary

6. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Hi milkingmom,
    You dont really have to have any "extra" education to teach your own child at home. I too only have a high school education and homeschool. My dd has really never been to school. It takes patience and finding the right curriculum. I had lots of troubles at first but you have some time to work on it before you actually need to start Kindergarten. I would suggest to you to find a homeschool group in your area...they usually have group activities several times a month for homeschoolers to get together. This is a great sourse for info...lots of homeschooling moms in one place will tell you tons of stuff...
    If you cant find a homeschooling group in your area, look on the www for homeschooling boards and chat rooms this might be able to help too.

I really like a program called Sing, Spell, Read, and Write. my dd is dyslexic and i tried several different programs that did not work...until i found this one...It is a very easy program to use and works well. You might check into this.

It does sound like your son is just overstimulated in daycare and is just acting out. I think to much at one time is just overdoing it. I would slow down and let him go maybe one day a week or try some different activities. I wish you well.

Belinda

7. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

Hi Milking Mom,
    My little sister is a teacher for the deaf and hearing impaired in East Texas, through the Nacogdoches School District. I know that she travels throughout the county teaching students from infants to adults, at school and at home. You might check with the small school coop near you to see who they have available to offer this. Now, I don't mean that you'd have to send your child to school. I think that if you spoke with an actual teacher, rather than an administrator, you might actually get more assistance in the homeschool arena.
    If you'd like, PM me and I'll try to put you in touch with my sister who may be able to answer some of your questions. Although she sends her daughter to public school, she is acquainted with homeschooling, since I homeschool mine.
    mamabear

8. ChristenaTN

ChristenaTN Active Member

I homeschool in Tn and it varys state to state.In my state we have to register as Christian related versus independant to retain the flexibilty and control that we wanted along with ecucational materials that are Christ centered. Other states are out there that nothing is required to remain legal save a verbal we are going to homeschool.There are usualy hs support groups with vetran parent teachers you can talk with. I reccomend you look into your states laws and get in contact with some local hs'ig moms who can counsel you. There are some really large payoffs to hsing. We love it! Our area has co-ops and many other things availabe a sort/ve community and we pull together pretty nicely. I hope you find the answers your seeking and good luck with it!

9. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Milking Mom -- contact your local HSLDA or a local homeschooling support group. You need a local network.

There is no reason why you can't hs your child, but for YOUR comfort and reassurance, talk to local families who are doing it. They can guide you through the local issues you might face.

My own son has Sensory Integration Disorder, with extreme visual-spatial issues, and we're homeschooling him quite successfully.

Tracy

10. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Thank you for all of your replies. While over the Thanksgiving Holidays, my son was home for a week and during this time he started calming down and was back to his sweet little self again. Also, when he went back to Dayschool the speech therapist said she was so impressed with him because he just seemed to have "blossomed" within the past couple of weeks. I think it was because it was the one-on-one time with me at home. My husband and I don't want to do anything hasty, and the Christmas Holidays are coming up where Josh will be home for 2 weeks. If the same thing happens again....I believe we will start the new year at home and I will be contacting some homeschooling moms.
    Thanks again.

11. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Texas currently has very lenient homeschooling laws. Basically, we are considered a private school, and do not register with or report to anyone. Though we are legally required to teach a few certain subjects, and to actually be schooling, we are basically accountable to ourselves.

Milking Mom, since he does so much better at home, I would consider bringing him back home right away. He does not legally need to be doing any schooling at all for a few more years. Try not to feel intimidated by the "experts". Moms are the ones who know their own children best. And you certainly don't need any special training, all you need is the heart for it.
    mary

12. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Here Here!!!! Why drag out the anxiety??? Keep him home NOW!!! :):):):)

Lovingly Signed,
    A Homeschool Veteran Mom of 3, w/19 yrs. experience.

Socialization skills = biting, scratching, fighting, cursing, skipping class, drugs, sex, ... (You get the idea, right?) ;)

13. sillygoose

sillygoose New Member

Yes, you can homeschool! I ahve a high school diploma and one year of college in horticulture technology, totally unrelated to education. In my homeschool group there are several exteachers who stopped teaching to homeschool their children when they cam along and they have all told me they had to forget their college teaching degrees to teach their kids. If it is in your heart you most certainly can homeschool and most parents have love and the best interest of their children in their heart. Your son would most likely excell in a homeschool setting as do most children. Contact a local homescool group and talk to some veteran homeschoolers and find out about your states homeschool laws. You can do it! Go for it and may God be with you! :)

14. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

It can be diffecult to assess the maturity of a child at a given age. There are situations that will affect the maturity of each child. Because of his learing impairment, you son's maturity is younger than it would have been, if he had normal hearing from the onset. The day care may have placed your son with kid's his own age, when he should have been with kids a little younger. Or maybe he just wasn't ready to lave Mom yet. I don't think that you should rule out the day care completely. If he has been in for a full day, perhaps a half day would be better. If he has been in for a half day, perhaps he needs to be a little older. There is nothing wrong or weird about keeping your child home with you at this age. If there are no siblings, friends are going to be more important. When you contact your local homeschoolers, you may find that they have their own preschool situation worked out with preschool outings, taking turns babysitting, etc.

I would contact the public school and ask them what is expected of a kidnergardner when he walks through the door. This will give you an academic standard to shoot for (triangle, square, colors) as well as social skills (please and thank you, sharing,...).

Personally, I would give the public school a try before homeschooling. You may really luck out in Kidnergarden and first grade with terrific teachers. Although rather than trusting luck, I'd ask around for opinions about these teachers (our country school had one super excellent 1st grade teacher and one horrible one).