home remodeling question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by scaryguyoy, Jun 17, 2006.

1. scaryguyoy

scaryguyoy Well-Known Member

Hi ,we thought we had finally sold our property but it fell thru today due to the buyer not getting financing.We have had regrets about selling it and it could be a good thing that it fell thru.Many of the potential buyers felt that the house was pulling the property down.we may decide to stay as we have found that we cannnot easily replace the place.My question is how can we determine if the property is sound enough to remodel.Is there a service that can give us a structural evaluation .we love the place but some of the aspects of an old home were driving us away from it.
    scary

2. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

From my personal experience as a realtor, if the house has a sound roof and a good foundation, there isn't anything you can't do to it - if you have the time, determination and money.

PM MTMAN for some advice and ask him for his before and after pictures they are absolutely remarkable. He is definitely an expert in this area.

donsgal

3. Macybaby

Macybaby I love South Dakota Supporter

Hi,

My hubby and I are currently in the middle of a major rehab/remodel project. The original part of our home was a claim shack built around 1875 (on rocks). The house had been added on to and expanded several times (and we put on another addition).

If you are interested, I've been recording it in an online journal, but it's full of pictures so can take a long time to load. This journal has the "history" and from their you can follow the link to the current progress. Started this in late 2004, and figure we won't be done for another year or so.

http://twosiloshistory.blogspot.com/

I've got painting to do right now, so time to get off the computer.

Cathy

4. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

You could hire a home inspection service that people use when buying a property to go through and identify any potential problems.

5. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Awesome photo documentation of your progress, Macybaby - what a job! You should be proud.

Scaryguyoy, you could always call out a couple of contractors to look the place over for their opinion.

6. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Wonderful stuff. WOW.

dongsal

7. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

any house can be done over take a look at the house we are doing over it is on our web site

www.rushingtrail.com

8. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

9. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

thank-you

10. egads1

egads1 Member

mtman, Nice job on the house. You took what I would have bulldozed and turned into a beautiful home. Great website, as well, very well done and user friendly!!